XFL has new ownership....

Started by VictorRomano, August 03, 2020, 02:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

Blue In BC

Surprising he had interest even without the Covid situation. Attendance was dropping so rapidly before the medical issues.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bomber4life85

well look at it this way.. thats likely pocket change for him considering its split with Garcia.. and as a while 15 M for a league that had the smallest bit of potential in the states, I feel like they could make some good $ and sell before it goes down after. They paid 3x less for the whole league than a relocation fee for an NHL team lol. Id say thats a smart business deal TBH.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 03, 2020, 05:54:28 PM
Surprising he had interest even without the Covid situation. Attendance was dropping so rapidly before the medical issues.

If you've been followed his fictional football series "Ballers", this comes as no surprise.....apparently anything is possible with enough chutzpah.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 04, 2020, 12:05:11 AM
If you've been followed his fictional football series "Ballers", this comes as no surprise.....apparently anything is possible with enough chutzpah.

I only watched a couple of episodes. Regardless I didn't get the impression the league was doing all that well before Covid.

If he can make it successful that's a good thing, but we've seen how spring leagues have never done well in the past.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GCn19

The Rock likely has little skin in the game as he is partnered with an investment company. He is the face. At any rate, as many investors know, the tax write off minimizes the risk greatly in the US.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

BlueInCgy

Quote from: GCn19 on August 05, 2020, 01:56:05 PM
The Rock likely has little skin in the game as he is partnered with an investment company. He is the face. At any rate, as many investors know, the tax write off minimizes the risk greatly in the US.

From what I've read, and I could be wrong, he's got about 5M in it, his ex wife has 5M in it, and Redbird has 5M in it.  Relative to his net worth it's not massive, but it's not insignificant either.

Blue In BC

Quote from: BlueInCgy on August 05, 2020, 06:53:44 PM
From what I've read, and I could be wrong, he's got about 5M in it, his ex wife has 5M in it, and Redbird has 5M in it.  Relative to his net worth it's not massive, but it's not insignificant either.

That's just money to buy the XFL. It's going to cost more money to run the league which may struggle to operate at a profit for their 1st season back.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

IIRC the XFL players were paid for all of 2019 as were the coaches. However the league folded and players were allowed to sign in the NFL and eventually the CFL.

Are any of their players and coaches contracts still in place? Or do they need to start from scratch re-building teams. Will the same teams exist or do some move to new cities etc etc.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2020, 01:53:51 PM
Are any of their players and coaches contracts still in place? Or do they need to start from scratch re-building teams. Will the same teams exist or do some move to new cities etc etc.

If you were going to from-scratch it, then why buy it?  Just start the XAAFFL 2.754 or whatever.  I bet a ton stays the same from where they left off, with normal off-season player movement allowed.

Trestman gets another chance!  And Riley!  Man, watching XFL sometimes I felt like I was watching CFL, but with QBs that can't throw and WRs that can't catch.  Oh ya, and really bad OLs.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2020, 06:17:18 AM
If you were going to from-scratch it, then why buy it?  Just start the XAAFFL 2.754 or whatever.  I bet a ton stays the same from where they left off, with normal off-season player movement allowed.

Trestman gets another chance!  And Riley!  Man, watching XFL sometimes I felt like I was watching CFL, but with QBs that can't throw and WRs that can't catch.  Oh ya, and really bad OLs.

Many of the players signed TC agreements in the CFL and a few went to the NFL as well. Not sure about any player movement.

They bought the team names, logos and some marginal goodwill from fans that supported them in the 1st go around.

My question was rhetorical. What remains of the previous XFL will be determined. I'd expect some massive turnover in players, a chance at least 1 team moves to another city.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 02, 2020, 01:53:57 PM
My question was rhetorical. What remains of the previous XFL will be determined. I'd expect some massive turnover in players, a chance at least 1 team moves to another city.

Could be... after their short run at least they know the cities that won't bother showing up in the stands.  Amazing how some cities pack the stands and others it looks worse than an Argos game.  Hey, kind of like the CFL!
Never go full Rider!

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

The Rock, his wife, and both his 2 and 4 year old children has all tested positive for Covid-19.

Pigskin

Covid 19 does not discriminate. Whether your rich, poor or famous you have to be safe.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.