Blue Bombers Forum
September 30, 2022, 10:10:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on a Reduced Season [UPD: 2020 Season Officially Cancelled]  (Read 54536 times)
DM83

« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2020, 10:49:32 AM »

Manitoba. Pays for the Bombers to operate essentially.  Forgiving way over $42 million dollars in stadium debt.
Sam Katz owner. Of the Goldeyes pays $1.00 rental for the attached parking lot and keeps the money.
The Jets receive lottery gaming funds, tax breaks and what else? The owner is the second richest guy in Canada and Mark Chipman another millionaire.

I love them all.  However, the Winnioeg Jets players are 80% millionaires. Giving money to these owners today is really immoral,,considering Drs and nurses were laid off, bus drivers were laid off, etc.  I am sure, those guys and their pre government gifts, could support dozens of public programs.

Let alone, the Jets owners pay certain players that amount in the life of a contract.

Again the Linerals Feds should get off their *** amd. Keep on spending.  It's not like they know how to budget.  Every time they are in power they increase the deficit,...so what's the big deal?  They won't be around to deal with it anyway.

The CFL is almost a cultural icon.  Certainly there are not too many 100 year old organizations around.
Come on!
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2020, 04:16:57 PM »

Manitoba. Pays for the Bombers to operate essentially.  Forgiving way over $42 million dollars in stadium debt.
Sam Katz owner. Of the Goldeyes pays $1.00 rental for the attached parking lot and keeps the money.
The Jets receive lottery gaming funds, tax breaks and what else? The owner is the second richest guy in Canada and Mark Chipman another millionaire.

I love them all.  However, the Winnioeg Jets players are 80% millionaires. Giving money to these owners today is really immoral,,considering Drs and nurses were laid off, bus drivers were laid off, etc.  I am sure, those guys and their pre government gifts, could support dozens of public programs.

Let alone, the Jets owners pay certain players that amount in the life of a contract.

Again the Linerals Feds should get off their *** amd. Keep on spending.  It's not like they know how to budget.  Every time they are in power they increase the deficit,...so what's the big deal?  They won't be around to deal with it anyway.

The CFL is almost a cultural icon.  Certainly there are not too many 100 year old organizations around.
Come on!

I hate the everyone sucks the teet of the NHL.....I mean the Jets locker room could pass a hat around and save the CFL season. Imagine if CFL cities that have NHL teams were financially supported by NHL Players/owners for just one season. We could use BC as a hub city and play till the end of the year.
Im sure the Government could give the NHL players/owners a "donation tax break" and it wouldnt even hurt these players at all.

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2020, 03:20:14 AM »

David William Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor
3h
Can confirm CP report that @CFL is looking for interest-free loan of $30 million from federal government. League previously turned down BDC offer of $40+million with higher interest rate and fees. This is a last-ditch attempt to save shortened 2020 season. #CFL

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
DM83

« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2020, 04:03:09 AM »

Paralysis by analysis!

Enough already.

Not to much creative thinking.

A six. Game season, is a little little. Starting in October?  It's almost a joke.

How about a two part season? Mix games in The HUB
 And then twelve games in an indoor stadium HUB for Dec. and Jan ?
buckzumhoff

« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »

That would work have games in winnipeg then  move games to indoors in december. Could play more games .
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »

David William Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor
3h
Can confirm CP report that @CFL is looking for interest-free loan of $30 million from federal government. League previously turned down BDC offer of $40+million with higher interest rate and fees. This is a last-ditch attempt to save shortened 2020 season. #CFL

Haha - bets on how long it takes the Feds to say no? Over or under 30 seconds of reviewing that proposal?
Blue In BC

« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »

Haha - bets on how long it takes the Feds to say no? Over or under 30 seconds of reviewing that proposal?

The end of 2020 CFL is near regretfully. The bigger question now is what happens in 2021. Attendance has been dropping over the years. It's going to be difficult to re-bound after losing a season even if Covid is resolved in the spring.

The financial loss across the board for teams, advertisers and broadcasters won't paint a good picture.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:27:14 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
DM83

« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2020, 02:53:38 PM »

Agreed!

Lots of businesses in that category.

The government, or private owners, have to answer that question......does the CFL generate secondary, tertiary, and quarterary industries?  The spin-off of game day.  Does a CFL game bring in dollars on game day for surrounding or supporting business?

If so government has to provide money. Sort of an investment.  Short term pain, but so many other jobs are created, eventual tax money will repay the investment.

I dint know why the government hasn't committed to that.m the government throws away money on charities like the symphony, ballet, and other arts groups, who while worthy to a culture, certainly don't generate the spin-off industries that a Bomber of Jet game does. This also applies to the entire league, except Toronto.

Maybe BC and Braley don't get that effect also, but the remainder of cities do.
This is perplexing.
Negotiate a better term for repayment.
GCn19

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2020, 02:54:00 PM »

The end of 2020 CFL is near regretfully. The bigger question now is what happens in 2021. Attendance has been dropping over the years. It's going to be difficult to re-bound after losing a season even if Covid is resolved in the spring.

The financial loss across the board for teams, advertisers and broadcasters won't paint a good picture.

Like it or not, this could end up being the death of our league. We are not quite there yet, but we are not far off.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Donny C

« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2020, 03:10:38 PM »

Like it or not, this could end up being the death of our league. We are not quite there yet, but we are not far off.

I don't see that happening. What I could see happening is a revamp, which actually might not be bad as the business model could change to be more profitable.

Crisis forces changes that needed to be made, but have been put off.
Blue In BC

« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »

I'm more inclined to think that the league will exist but in a restructured format. IE: Changes to the SMS and possibly ratio due to declining revenues. Might even consider reducing the roster size by 4 players for example with a direct offset reduction in SMS.

Obviously the CFL is a low budget league compared to NFL, NHL, MLB or NBA.

OTOH the CFL SMS of $5.2M has become unsustainable IMO. Not just because of Covid but many other reasons.

I'm not disappointed that the league was attempting to adjust salaries upwards from the bottom. However the upper end salaries are an issue.

Yes, it's a supply and demand issue but that still has to work within any chosen SMS level.

It's a business and it's not working financially. So change the model, change the SMS.

The reality is that most CFL players won't find alternative places to play. Those that do aren't in real competition with NFL money offers anyway. Alternatively a higher SMS isn't really going to attract better talent. It's how you spend the money across the roster.

NOTE: For arguments sake I'll throw out an SMS number of $4.5M and a roster size of 42 players. Trimming 4 players eliminates $65K X 4 = $260K right off the bat of a $720K total reduction.

In better financial situations I'd be happy with increasing roster size but at the moment that's not in the cards. Teams compete against each other for top free agents but within the given SMS. Like I said it' how a given team chooses to spend money across the roster.

The current SMS allows teams to choose to compete for players like M. Reilly or BLM. OTOH, should any CFL QB make $500K - $700K?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:30:20 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »

Reduced seasons in other leagues point out IMO the ridiculousness of pro sport salaries.

Can't remember the name of the particular baseball player I read about today. He choose to sit out the 2020 reduced season.

No problem with that. What I found interesting ( like driving by an accident on the freeway sort of way ) is that his salary for a REDUCED season was still $12M usd!!!!!!!!!!

Good on him for putting his family 1st.  I'm just pointing out the big league money for salaries is nuts.

The supply and the demand are constants. What leagues / owners decide to spend is based on the revenue they can get from the public / masses.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:26:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Donny C

« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2020, 07:50:13 PM »

Like the guy or not, he has some thoughts that make sense and Rod Pederson thinks that the season is not going to happen.

He believes that the players will decide to play, he believes that there will be financial support of some type, but he believes that some of the owners and governors do not want a season. Why? Because if there is no season (his words) all CFL contracts become null and void so that contracts that are bad for the CFL (BLM and Mike Riley type contracts will disappear and players that come back in 2021 will not be looking for such high contracts.   
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2020, 10:11:31 PM »

Like the guy or not, he has some thoughts that make sense and Rod Pederson thinks that the season is not going to happen.

He believes that the players will decide to play, he believes that there will be financial support of some type, but he believes that some of the owners and governors do not want a season. Why? Because if there is no season (his words) all CFL contracts become null and void so that contracts that are bad for the CFL (BLM and Mike Riley type contracts will disappear and players that come back in 2021 will not be looking for such high contracts.   

I'm not sure I buy those thoughts. For one, if all contracts are null and void I think that's bad for players, teams and the league. Who wins in that scenario? All players need new deals and some won't make the same amount. Who is going to justify a raise after not playing for  18 months? Teams will have to re-sign and re-market a host of new players who fans will not be familiar with. The league would be concerned with reputation and continuity.

On the second point, BLM is still going to be worth about what he recently signed for, or close to it. His value is determined by a free market which (as long as the cap remains, and is intact) still exists.

Third, why do teams need a shutdown to get rid of those contracts? They aren't guaranteed. Calgary is free to cut BLM anytime they want. They don't need a COVID-19 shutdown to do it.

Unless the owners use this as a reason/excuse to lower the entire SMS structure significantly then I'm not sure what benefit is to them. And in order to justify a much lower SMS they are going to have to prove reduced profits and a damaged league to the PA. COVID has probably done that enough for them, I don't think they would need to do it on purpose. I could see some owners not wanting lose a lot of money to play a 2 month season without fans in Winnipeg. That's a valid concern which makes sense. But the rest of it, not logical.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:13:11 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2020, 02:24:51 AM »

Almost "next Friday" and still no word from the CFL or fed gov?  I wasn't able to hit the forum or read the news all week, and I come back here to find out that bupkis has happened.

Oh well... guess we'll continue waiting.

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: