Blue Bombers Forum
August 14, 2022, 01:52:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on a Reduced Season [UPD: 2020 Season Officially Cancelled]  (Read 52555 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2020, 03:07:28 AM »

More on the story.....

David William Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor
1h
While the feds said no to financial assistance for a shortened 2020 season, they don't want to see the @CFL
 collapse. It will require open books and real transparency but source says they are committed to seeing how they can help the league beyond this season. #CFL

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #211 on: August 17, 2020, 11:46:53 AM »

I think that's fair. Playing the six game season (and incurring a significant cost to do so) never really made a lot of sense to me. Let's start planning for a real season in 2021 (however that looks like) and continue working with the federal government. Sounds like there is money to be had there eventually. Hopefully Ambroise is also looking at the business model. It has been broken for a awhile now and this surely underscores that.
Blue In BC

« Reply #212 on: August 17, 2020, 02:29:13 PM »

A split season.......playoffs in April

Did someone actually suggest that? I can't see how that would work any better. A bubble twice instead of once? How many games in total for a split season? More importantly 2021 TC would be starting at the end of May. That would mean short times between split seasons and next season. 18 games is already tough for rookies coming out of much shorter college seasons etc.

In Vancouver, Braley wants some fan attendance to offset losses. He also wants an 8 game schedule and Lions home games played in Vancouver. All of that contradicts the hub city in Winnipeg and a 6 game schedule concept.

Tick tok. Time is running out in theory. Hard to know exactly whether there is any real drop dead date.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It appears we hit the real drop dead date with various impasses today.

Sadly I think was the best option available. Time to review the business model and see how it can be improved overall going into 2021. What that will look like IDK but I'd expect some things will change.

I'm not even confidant that we don't lose 1 team ( Als ) at the moment.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:34:22 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Jets
Administrator

« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »

Season officially cancelled.

CFL cancels 2020 season
https://www.tsn.ca/1.1510345
Sec227

« Reply #214 on: August 17, 2020, 03:29:11 PM »

Least the band aids been ripped off now. Lets hope they can get a better idea of what next year will look like.
Donny C

« Reply #215 on: August 17, 2020, 04:01:08 PM »

Hoefully the schedule makers get it right in 2021 and have WPG vs Ham IN WINNIPEG! That should have been the first game of the season.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #216 on: August 17, 2020, 04:06:11 PM »

I look forward to a full refund of my season tickets from the Bombers. To sad!

Oh well still GC champs. No can take that away from us.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »

Hoefully the schedule makers get it right in 2021 and have WPG vs Ham IN WINNIPEG! That should have been the first game of the season.
indeed good call.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_or_die

« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2020, 04:12:00 PM »

What on god's green earth are we going to talk about all year on here? It's August and I'm quite used to spending much of my work day on this forum discussing last week's game and the one coming up next weekend.

It's all just so sad.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Sec227

« Reply #219 on: August 17, 2020, 04:25:37 PM »

I look forward to a full refund of my season tickets from the Bombers. To sad!

Oh well still GC champs. No can take that away from us.

Im on the fence on this one. I paid in full myself. Do I let it ride and hope things work out for next year? Or take the cash, and do something else with it? Hmmm...And how many might NOT even come back? Thats the scary thought. If they lose another 2/3K STH thats not good for the long term.
GCn19

« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2020, 04:54:50 PM »

What on god's green earth are we going to talk about all year on here? It's August and I'm quite used to spending much of my work day on this forum discussing last week's game and the one coming up next weekend.

It's all just so sad.

There is going to be a crap ton to talk about. The CBA says that in the event a season is cancelled that every player automatically becomes a free agent regardless of term remaining. Between a revived XFL due to start way earlier and every team effectively having zero players under contract, this could be a doozy of a next few months.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2020, 04:56:13 PM »

Im on the fence on this one. I paid in full myself. Do I let it ride and hope things work out for next year? Or take the cash, and do something else with it? Hmmm...And how many might NOT even come back? Thats the scary thought. If they lose another 2/3K STH thats not good for the long term.

Hate to say it but get your money back. CFL may not survive this and once if it doesn't you won't see that money.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
PloenFan

« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2020, 04:57:17 PM »

The league and the union worked together towards an agreement that would see players return to the field this year. Public health authorities in Manitoba had formally approved the safe return to play plan and federal authorities had praised it publicly. The league and its governors worked tirelessly to explore options to enable play in 2020. However, despite months of discussions, the government ultimately declined the CFL?s appeal for financial support.
The CFLPA was willing to co-operate, but sadly the government was not willing to help !  Angry
Blue In BC

« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »

There is going to be a crap ton to talk about. The CBA says that in the event a season is cancelled that every player automatically becomes a free agent regardless of term remaining. Between a revived XFL due to start way earlier and every team effectively having zero players under contract, this could be a doozy of a next few months.

I can see the legal aspect of all players becoming free agents with all contracts becoming null and void.

It might create some players moving to the XFL and possibly a few more to NFL. In the grand scheme of things that's going to be younger players that might leave. XFL salary might be better at the low end but not the high end.

If everybody becomes a free agent that would be the time to look at a new SMS, roster size and ratio changes. As I mentioned even the possibly we lose a team like the Als and go back to 8 teams.

Scary to think about what that could mean and / or how it works out for 2021.

Looking mostly at the Bombers we already have 36 potential free agents. Usually we've been seeing about 1/2 the players across the league as potential free agents. Something like 80 or so change teams during the off season.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Donny C

« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2020, 05:22:58 PM »

Hate to say it but get your money back. CFL may not survive this and once if it doesn't you won't see that money.

We rolled ours forward for next year (months ago). I'm not sure if there is an option to now get it back.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  

Jump to: