Blue Bombers Forum
February 01, 2023, 03:41:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charlie Sammons former equipment manager  (Read 2491 times)
4everalonghair

« on: July 11, 2020, 12:18:00 PM »

Thank you to the Admin Moderators for allowing me to share this story about Charlie Sammons who was the equipment manager for many years with the Bombers! Not only was Charlie a valuable part of the team in this capacity for many years but he also was a regular ambassador for the guys on the team, taking them fishing on their off time, welcoming them into his home and being a Manitoba Dad/Friend for many of them!

Charlie is battling for his eye sight right now. He has macular degeneration and has lost all vision in his right eye and only has 15% left in his left. Here are some words his daughter shared recently...

"Most of you may know my dad as the funny Grey Hound (or Grey Goose) bus driver, or the guy who worked for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers or even as one of the regulars at Broadlands - then Chicken Chef. Most have crossed paths with my dad at some point in their life. I know this because it doesn't matter where in the world I am with him, you always hear "Hey Charlie!!" off in the distance. Or "Hey, Charlie! Can I get a picture with you?" (No, I'm not kidding... lol) I always joke that he is "famous". And if you know my dad you know that he would provide the shirt off of his back for someone in need. He would do anything for his friends, family and even strangers. No matter the sacrifice required.

My dad has been suffering with Macular degeneration for several years now. Macular degeneration is a medical condition which results in blurred or no vision in the center of the visual field.

There is no cure for macular degeneration, but some treatments may delay its progression or even improve vision. At this point my dad has tried everything possible. He has had surgery however, it actually made his vision worse. At this point Irisvision or Esight are his only options.

IrisVision and Esight helps those with macular degeneration by giving them the ability to see clearly, recognize faces, and make the best of their remaining vision.

It would mean the world to me for my dad to be able to see again. If you cannot donate, please spread the word. Helping one person might not change the world but, it could change the world for one person. Thank you."

There is currently a Facebook fundraiser to help support Charlie in raising the money needed for this adaptive device.  A great portion has been raised (much of it in thanks to former players and staff who have donated and shared).... Charlie is less than $2000 to his goal. 

I am sharing this link here in case anyone else would like to support or share to help Charlie out.

https://www.facebook.com/donate/736161083824065/10222869552672475/

Thanks for taking the time to read Charlie's story....

4everalonghair

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:02:34 AM »

Just to update . Charlie got the equipment and it is working. Charlie and his family are extremely thankful to everyone that was able to help!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »

Good to hear.  Thanks for the update.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: