Blue Bombers Forum
November 30, 2022, 07:19:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Riders Release QB Bryan Bennett  (Read 3891 times)
Ridermania

« on: April 08, 2020, 11:41:04 PM »

Saskatchewan Roughriders announced Wednesday the team has released backup quarterback Bryan Bennett.

Bennett spent last season with the Roughriders but didn't throw any passes. He finished the year with 16 carries for 69 yards and a touchdown.

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/04/08/roughriders-release-qb-bryan-bennett/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:47:48 PM by Ridermania » Logged
ichabod_crane

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:45 AM »

Was he not the QB who froze like a deer in the headlights in the 4Q in the western final near the Bombers goal line? Still Bizarro how that play unfolded. Writing was on the wall for him after that play alone.
Bluehawk

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 01:56:39 AM »

Would the bombers have an interest in bring Bennett back again?  Very versatile player that can help out on special teams.

I'd rather be a Bomber than a .....
blue_gold_84

For The W

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 02:01:15 AM »

Was he not the QB who froze like a deer in the headlights in the 4Q in the western final near the Bombers goal line? Still Bizarro how that play unfolded. Writing was on the wall for him after that play alone.

Hard to blame just the QB for such a horrendously designed play, though. That was pure desperation by HC and OC, who tried to deploy Bennett as Streveler. It made no sense.

And if the "writing was on the wall after that play alone," what took the Riders so long to release him?

#forthew

Slava Ukraini!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 03:52:38 AM »

Hard to blame just the QB for such a horrendously designed play, though. That was pure desperation by HC and OC, who tried to deploy Bennett as Streveler. It made no sense.

And if the "writing was on the wall after that play alone," what took the Riders so long to release him?
slow clap...

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 04:20:10 AM »

Yup, Riders need a "burn the witches" thread, because this here's one of their scapegoats!  Bennett may have cost them the tie and a chance at a win.  However, who's to say Powell didn't go to the wrong side?  (Personally I think it was a designed QB run play with Powell staying behind him to push.)

McAdoo is their other witch.  He's been burned now too.

I'd pass on Bennett.  Weren't we all talking about how CFL just banned QBs playing on ST? ... Unless he isn't rostered as a QB... still doesn't make sense unless he's Canadian, which he's not.

Next up: is CGY going to sacrifice Jorden?  Didn't he blow a GC for them with a fumble once?  And the '19 WSF he was just plain awful.  I'd love for CGY to burn him so we can grab him cheap!!

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 12:08:16 PM »

Yup, Riders need a "burn the witches" thread, because this here's one of their scapegoats!  Bennett may have cost them the tie and a chance at a win.  However, who's to say Powell didn't go to the wrong side?  (Personally I think it was a designed QB run play with Powell staying behind him to push.)

McAdoo is their other witch.  He's been burned now too.

I'd pass on Bennett.  Weren't we all talking about how CFL just banned QBs playing on ST? ... Unless he isn't rostered as a QB... still doesn't make sense unless he's Canadian, which he's not.

Next up: is CGY going to sacrifice Jorden?  Didn't he blow a GC for them with a fumble once?  And the '19 WSF he was just plain awful.  I'd love for CGY to burn him so we can grab him cheap!!

Yea...clearly Bennett and Jorden are of equal worth to their respective teams and that makes your comparison apt. I mean who wouldn't value a dynamic 1000 yard receiver the same as a short yardage/ST 3rd string QB.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Ridermania

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:20 PM »

Glad I posted this and got all my Bomber pals talking again.

Stay safe neighbours!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 03:22:46 AM »

Yea...clearly Bennett and Jorden are of equal worth to their respective teams and that makes your comparison apt. I mean who wouldn't value a dynamic 1000 yard receiver the same as a short yardage/ST 3rd string QB.

You just look for any excuse, eh?  Weak.

I never compared Bennett to Jorden.  I was just pointing out how scapegoats are often found for failures in football.  As such, Bennett is clearly one, and, lucky for SSK, a cheap/nobody/won't-be-missed scapegoat (the best kind).

HAM found and burned their scapegoats: Mike Jones and Luke Tasker.  Does that satisfy you more seeing as how Tasker usually (when not hurt) is a "dynamic 1000 yard receiver" and Jones has been an upper-end NAT WR for many years?

I brought Jorden up more as a contrast, because Huffnagel is smart and will not drop Jorden to appease the burn-the-witches call -- just like he didn't after his GC failure years ago.  It was whimsical wishful thinking on my part as is clear from my "grab him cheap" comment.  However, there are two main reasons CGY lost the WSF: BLM and Jorden.  Since BLM is the face of the team, can't get rid of him (and it was probably just a "bad day" for him anyhow), that leaves Jorden.  A weaker GM would have released him already.  Huffnagel will hang on to him, but no doubt his stock has fallen a notch.  He's now cost CGY big time in two major post-season games.  Surely CGY would have done better had they started Peck (or someone, anyone) over Jorden in the WSF.

Again, in case you still don't get it, this has nothing to do with how good a player usually is: This is about teams sacrificing scapegoats after big losses.  SSK and HAM did it.  Most do it.  CGY doesn't.  That's the takeaway from my comment.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 03:28:43 AM »

Glad I posted this and got all my Bomber pals talking again.

Stay safe neighbours!

Yup, right back at you.

Hey, Ridermania, besides McAdoo and Bennett, were there any other players' heads the fans/media were calling for that got sacrificed?  I think burning your OC goes a long way towards appeasement, so maybe more weren't needed.  Wink

Weird: one of the unexpected stars of the WDF, Cory Watson, seems to be left behind in FA.  Just too old?

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 11:57:40 AM »

Yup, right back at you.

Hey, Ridermania, besides McAdoo and Bennett, were there any other players' heads the fans/media were calling for that got sacrificed?  I think burning your OC goes a long way towards appeasement, so maybe more weren't needed.  Wink

Weird: one of the unexpected stars of the WDF, Cory Watson, seems to be left behind in FA.  Just too old?

Yes. While he's shown he can ball a bit still, he's freakin 36.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 01:07:16 PM »

I expect he will sign in Ott, Lapo needs talent, and Bennett knows his system...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 02:50:35 PM »

I expect he will sign in Ott, Lapo needs talent, and Bennett knows his system...

I'd be surprised if he signs in Ottawa. Lapo may need talent but he will bring in new competition to compete in TC whenever TC begins.

Ottawa's " system " isn't going to be exactly like the one in Winnipeg. His starting QB has a different skill set, he doesn't have the best RB in the CFL. It's a different team and his system will be modified to match the skill set he has on his final roster.

Bennett knowing Lapo from Winnipeg is next to valueless as an advantage IMO.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 03:25:29 PM »

Yup, right back at you.

Cory Watson announced his retirement and has accepted a coaching job at McGill University.

https://3downnation.com/2019/12/16/canadian-receiver-cory-watson-accepts-coaching-job-at-mcgill-university/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: