Blue Bombers Forum
November 30, 2022, 07:03:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Great memories from Ed Tait  (Read 3481 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: April 06, 2020, 04:33:45 AM »

7. THE GAME: Labour Day Classic, 2016 Edition

WHEN: September 4, 2016, Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field, Regina

THE BACKGROUND: The Bombers seldom, if ever, win on Labour Day weekend, but in the last LDC at the Roughriders' old stomping ground, the visitors showed some fight in the middle of a seven-game win streak.

Winnipeg built a 19-3 lead late into the third quarter, gave up a punt-return score inside the final minute before Medlock kicked a 43-yard field goal on the last play for a 28-25 win that broke an 11-game LDC losing streak.

WHY IT IS STILL SO MEMORABLE: This one is personal. On the morning of the game the Bombers were informed that long-time Bombers marketing director and superfan Jerry Maslowsky had passed away. The players wore 'JM' stickers on their helmets and in the celebration after this was heard often: "This one's for Jerry." It was a sad, but perfect tribute.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/04/05/column-look-back-ed-taits-memorable-games/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:40:01 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »

Yes, a great rare win for us in the LDC.  I dug deep in the PVR to give it a watch to relive the fun.  Some notes to jog memories:

Nichols' first LDC and he looked good!  His arm looked stronger and some of his darts were speedy bullets.
AH33's and Dressler's first season in blue & gold.
Loffler's rookie year.
Demski was in green.  So was Lankford.
Crapinga lived up to his name and missed the 1st to FGs.
McDuffie was cleaning up on the explosive plays.
Dressler was so much fun to watch: you just don't see flying catch attempts like that much anymore in the CFL.

Derek Jones #0 was with us then, and I looked it up and he's been with us since '14?!  Shocked  That's one under-the-radar player.  Seriously, I didn't even know he existed until 2019.  Maybe that's more a dig on me than him, though.  He was making some good plays in this game on the teams.  And 5 seasons with us later he gets a BB GC ring.  Funny how these things work out!

I think C.Jones' inane risk-taking on 3rd down plays was a big factor in SSK losing this one.  Dickerson The Lesser is miles away a better HC for the greenies.  Too bad ol' Jonesy left for the NFL  Wink Shocked Cool

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 12:25:32 PM »

Yes, a great rare win for us in the LDC.  I dug deep in the PVR to give it a watch to relive the fun.  Some notes to jog memories:

Nichols' first LDC and he looked good!  His arm looked stronger and some of his darts were speedy bullets.
AH33's and Dressler's first season in blue & gold.
Loffler's rookie year.
Demski was in green.  So was Lankford.
Crapinga lived up to his name and missed the 1st to FGs.
McDuffie was cleaning up on the explosive plays.
Dressler was so much fun to watch: you just don't see flying catch attempts like that much anymore in the CFL.

Derek Jones #0 was with us then, and I looked it up and he's been with us since '14?!  Shocked  That's one under-the-radar player.  Seriously, I didn't even know he existed until 2019.  Maybe that's more a dig on me than him, though.  He was making some good plays in this game on the teams.  And 5 seasons with us later he gets a BB GC ring.  Funny how these things work out!

I think C.Jones' inane risk-taking on 3rd down plays was a big factor in SSK losing this one.  Dickerson The Lesser is miles away a better HC for the greenies.  Too bad ol' Jonesy left for the NFL  Wink Shocked Cool

There were some that touted him as having the ability to be our starting safety for these reasons. Unfortunately he was just a really good teamer.

Derek Jones (and Jesse Briggs) are the quintessential reasons Walters and O'Shea got their reputation for picking excellent STs deep in the draft. They performed in the overlooked phase of the game and have had incredible sticking power in a league of short careers, especially for non-super star Canadians. We all hope Exume and Hallett turn out to be other examples of this strategy.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 02:47:09 PM »

There were some that touted him as having the ability to be our starting safety for these reasons. Unfortunately he was just a really good teamer.

Derek Jones (and Jesse Briggs) are the quintessential reasons Walters and O'Shea got their reputation for picking excellent STs deep in the draft. They performed in the overlooked phase of the game and have had incredible sticking power in a league of short careers, especially for non-super star Canadians. We all hope Exume and Hallett turn out to be other examples of this strategy.

I'm disappointed Derek Jones never made it as a full-time starter, he had a great opportunity to seize the starting Safety job last season after Loffler left for Mtl. and yet he could not even beat out the mediocre stub Jeff Hecht for the position.  I don't recall Jones ever being given a start at Safety as a trial-run, so maybe the coaching staff did not have enough faith in him not to screw up. I doubt his deficiency was physical as he seems to have good speed and looked to be very athletic and as others have stated multiple times, Safety is the easiest position to play in the secondary. 

It's a bit baffling that a person can dedicate so many years of life working towards a role that seems ultimately attainable, and yet still come up short, all the more so when his Dad had a 9 year career as a DB with Esks. during their dominant years.  Who knows, maybe he was content to play ST's and did not want the pressure of starting. Jones is off to BC now where he will likely continue playing ST for a few more years before calling it a day, his highlight as a Bomber was his solid ST play and his great ability to block punts.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 08:17:07 PM »

Likely my favourite live event Blue Bomber moment. It was a truly amazing experience.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 04:08:47 AM »

Jones is off to BC now where he will likely continue playing ST for a few more years before calling it a day, his highlight as a Bomber was his solid ST play and his great ability to block punts.

Jeez, I had already forgotten that!  Well, at least now we're down to 1 Jones on the roster (I think/hope?) instead of 3(?).  Man that gets confusing.

Best of luck to Derek Jones in BC.  His heart seems to be in the right place and he obviously has a good work ethic.  He got quite a few game reps in the '19 post-season and I don't recall him blowing any big play.  I'm glad he gets to continue playing.

I wonder if it was more of a case of him wanting to go, or get a big raise; or whether we wanted to move on to the ELC up'n'comers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:36:33 PM by TecnoGenius » Logged

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 04:17:29 AM »

Likely my favourite live event Blue Bomber moment. It was a truly amazing experience.

Ya, I just finished watching the 4th Q and it was a wild ending!  Good, in a way, as it gave both sets of fans something to cheer about, at least until the last 45s.

That final DPI that kept our drive going was a bit iffy, but I think it was the DB pushing Dressler's arm down forcefully that elicited it.  Even if he's playing the ball the whole time, he can't yank Dressler down by the arm like that as Dress is going for the diving catch.  I bet if they could have challenged it would have stood as called.

But there weren't many replays and I bet SSK fans were furious... too bad Jonesy wasted his challenge on a completely hopeless play.

Goldie: were SSK fans all ornery about that call at the end of the game?

I say we would have won in overtime anyhow: we looked like the better team out there, if only marginally.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »

Ya, I just finished watching the 4th Q and it was a wild ending!  Good, in a way, as it gave both sets of fans something to cheer about, at least until the last 45s.

That final DPI that kept our drive going was a bit iffy, but I think it was the DB pushing Dressler's arm down forcefully that elicited it.  Even if he's playing the ball the whole time, he can't yank Dressler down by the arm like that as Dress is going for the diving catch.  I bet if they could have challenged it would have stood as called.

But there weren't many replays and I bet SSK fans were furious... too bad Jonesy wasted his challenge on a completely hopeless play.

I say we would have won in overtime anyhow: we looked like the better team out there, if only marginally.

They were very hot and bothered with that call.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 12:25:14 PM »

Jeez, I had already forgotten that!  Well, at least now we're down to 1 Jones on the roster (I think/hope?) instead of 3(?).  Man that gets confusing.

Best of luck to Derek Jones in BC.  His heart seems to be in the right place and he obviously has a good work ethic.  He got quite a few game reps in the '19 post-season and I don't recall him blowing any big play.  I'm glad he gets to continue playing.

I wonder if it was more of a case of him wanting to go, or get a big raise; or weather we wanted to move on to the ELC up'n'comers.

The last one

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »

most fans I bumped into were ignoring us drunken celebrities or happy for us in my experience.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 07:43:54 PM »

most fans I bumped into were ignoring us drunken celebrities or happy for us in my experience.

Haha, maybe SSK fans were just so used to losing at that point.  I think the TSN guys said they were on a 4-game losing streak?

After experiencing the bad mood at the end of the '18 WSF at New Toiletbowl, I can truly say that I would prefer to go to SSK and come away with a clean win: no iffy hits at the end, no iffy calls.  That said, if the choice is between a loss or some iffiness and a win, I'll take the iffiness.  Ornery SSK fans be darned!   Wink Grin Grin

(To be fair, no SSK fan directed anger at me personally, in any instance.  The ones who bothered to interact with me were always pleasant.)

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »

Haha, maybe SSK fans were just so used to losing at that point.  I think the TSN guys said they were on a 4-game losing streak?

After experiencing the bad mood at the end of the '18 WSF at New Toiletbowl, I can truly say that I would prefer to go to SSK and come away with a clean win: no iffy hits at the end, no iffy calls.  That said, if the choice is between a loss or some iffiness and a win, I'll take the iffiness.  Ornery SSK fans be darned!   Wink Grin Grin

(To be fair, no SSK fan directed anger at me personally, in any instance.  The ones who bothered to interact with me were always pleasant.)

Having iffy calls that don?t go your way all the time is just football. We?ve had more than our share of that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: