Blue Bombers Forum
November 30, 2022, 06:06:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Walters the new Hufnagel??  (Read 4034 times)
jdrattops

« on: April 04, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »

I was thing back to 2016 when John Hufnagel made a comment about how Kyle Walters was going about his business in building a football team:

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/calgary-stampeders-cfl-free-agency-20160209/wcm/36d9d2da-aed3-4a98-8b25-113a77eeba48/amp/

Queue 2020:

https://3downnation.com/2020/02/18/stampeders-shocker-john-hufnagel-signs-five-players-on-first-day-of-cfl-free-agency/amp/

My how the tide has turned.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 07:52:53 PM »

I won't declare KW the next Huffernagel just yet.  However, he is showing great promise!  WFC has figured out the whole continuity thing, and early investments in the "locker room atmosphere" is finally paying dividends.  If CGY continues its fall from grace -- which for CGY means going from #1 to #2 or #3 -- and WPG keeps itself up around #1/#2 (factoring in both divisional results and GC wins), then we can start talking about KW being the new king.

As for FA, Huffynagel still maintains the lead on that front.  He may not dip into FA much, but when he does his results have been better, especially on O.  KW's FA wins have been overshadowed by the Moore, Bowman, Matthews, Durant busts.  Then again, getting (and keeping) Willie was the coup of the decade.  And I'd say 2019 KW was as good at in-season acquisitions as Huffynagel has been in past years.  Key guys like Nick Taylor and Maston were critical to our GC run.  Being able to fill in injury holes, as well as improve on weaker players mid-season is part of Huffy's success.  We did it better than they did in 2019!

All said and done, I'd say KW is certainly a clear top-3 (maybe top-2) GM in the CFL: with a shot at #1 in the next couple of years.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 01:08:48 AM »

Hufnagel was fortunate enough to have ownership willing to bury players salary. When Kavisgate blew up the SMS shenanigans ended in Calgary too. What ensued was a pretty average Stamps team. It seems that caretaker Bob may be the new owner willing to cheat to win.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 02:25:38 AM »

I just call him excellent.  Weird how the folks that wanted him gone have calmed down lol.

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
GCn19

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 04:59:39 PM »

I just call him excellent.  Weird how the folks that wanted him gone have calmed down lol.

Doing what you're paid to do tends to have that effect.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 02:57:53 PM »

Looking back in hindsight allows 20/20 vision and plenty of ITYSO but prior to the 2016 season when this article was written Walters had completed his third season with a  record of 5-13 and an over-all record of 14W-34L.  You can blame the ghost of Joe Mack until the end of days, but both O'Shea and Walters were fortunate to still have jobs at that point in time, hale Wade Miller.  Promoting Matt Nichols to starter after the team got off to a 1-4 start in 2016 and ringing up 7 straight victories en-route to an 11-7 season was an impressive turn around.  I'm sure neither of them will ever forget the season Matt Nichols literally saved their jobs.  Smiley

bludan

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 03:17:45 PM »

Looking back in hindsight allows 20/20 vision and plenty of ITYSO but prior to the 2016 season when this article was written Walters had completed his third season with a  record of 5-13 and an over-all record of 14W-34L.  You can blame the ghost of Joe Mack until the end of days, but both O'Shea and Walters were fortunate to still have jobs at that point in time, hale Wade Miller.  Promoting Matt Nichols to starter after the team got off to a 1-4 start in 2016 and ringing up 7 straight victories en-route to an 11-7 season was an impressive turn around.  I'm sure neither of them will ever forget the season Matt Nichols literally saved their jobs.  Smiley

This is true, but I think that Walters also sold the Bombers on long term vision of culture.  This cannot be said enough.  Everything really does fall into place, such as Nichols doing well, but that is also on Lapo's conservative playbook that allowed Nichols to thrive. Use the Philadelphia 76ers as an example.  They were a laughing stock for years, but the GM preached patience and long term goals. "The Process" was ridiculed and now they have one of the strongest young cores in a big league and were arguably one shot away from being legitimate NBA champions.  The GM, Sam Hinkie, resigned before everything came to fruition, but he's now looked at in hindsight very well. 

Remember when we got Drew Willy?  He was our third choice and we were spurned by everyone else that we pursued.  That's not happening anymore.

Kyle has created culture and has picked the right guys to help with it.  He's used transparency and respect to do this. He deserves credit as well as acknowledgement that things fell into place. 

I do think he's a top GM in the league. 
blue_or_die

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »

I do think he's a top GM in the league. 

There is no question

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 09:09:02 PM »

We do have the top GM and the top HC in the league. In July 2016, with the same people in those roles, we definitely did not have the top person in either of those positions. Had things not come together the way they did late in the summer of 2016, I don't know how much more patience Wade Miller could have had. Those decisions had to start bearing fruit. Until it all came together, there were still doubters. I suspect much of that wasn't an indictment on Walters or O'Shea but rather an indictment on the long series of GMs and head coaches who had passed through Winnipeg over the previous decades with only failure to show for it.

We are where we had long wanted to be. A championship team and a destination team in this league. We attract top FAs to come to our team and we retain the players that we want to keep. That wasn't the case not so long ago. That's also what Hufnagel has been able to do in Calgary and it's part of their long-term success as a franchise. It took six years of Walters/O'Shea to reach the top of the mountain. The next six years could be very special for this franchise.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
bludan

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 11:49:08 PM »

We do have the top GM and the top HC in the league. In July 2016, with the same people in those roles, we definitely did not have the top person in either of those positions. Had things not come together the way they did late in the summer of 2016, I don't know how much more patience Wade Miller could have had. Those decisions had to start bearing fruit. Until it all came together, there were still doubters. I suspect much of that wasn't an indictment on Walters or O'Shea but rather an indictment on the long series of GMs and head coaches who had passed through Winnipeg over the previous decades with only failure to show for it.

We are where we had long wanted to be. A championship team and a destination team in this league. We attract top FAs to come to our team and we retain the players that we want to keep. That wasn't the case not so long ago. That's also what Hufnagel has been able to do in Calgary and it's part of their long-term success as a franchise. It took six years of Walters/O'Shea to reach the top of the mountain. The next six years could be very special for this franchise.

Well said.
blue_gold_84

For The W

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 06:29:04 PM »

And he's done that well. Darn well, I might add. The Bombers' NAT talent and depth is incredible, he's managed to get some big fish here in recent years, and he continues to draft and develop well.

He's been mostly earning his keep since he was hired as GM, IMO.

#forthew

Slava Ukraini!
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 11:11:50 PM »

and how sweet it is

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »

Walters has done exceptionally well particularly in building Canadian talent and roster continuity. OTOH the Bombers still have a ways to go in finding rookie import talent the way the Stamps have done for a long time.

Calgary was seldom a big player in free agency aside from their own players. The Bombers are moving away from that model more each season. Rookie import talent competition improves each season and we've been finding some gems.

That said we've also added some of the top and most expensive CFL free agents in the last couple of seasons.

Hard to rank CFL GM's. There are so many factors but I think it's fair to say Walters is in the top 3rd.

2020 might have been the real test to see what new talent we found as rookie's.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:24:53 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: