Blue Bombers Forum
November 30, 2022, 05:33:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which CFL team suffers the most from Covid-19?  (Read 5420 times)
jdrattops

« on: March 30, 2020, 03:53:44 PM »

If the 2020 season is a no go for 2020, Bomber fans, which team would this hurt the most?

I?m going with the Riders..... lost revenue from the Grey Cup, and a very old team (more than 10 starters in their 30?s).  BC and Toronto would be tied for 2nd, imo.
Waffler

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 04:16:42 PM »

A short season would benefit older players though. Too early to say what will happen.

Home isn't where you're from,
it's where you find light when all
grows dark. - Pierce Brown

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:17:36 PM »

If the 2020 season is a no go for 2020, Bomber fans, which team would this hurt the most?

I?m going with the Riders..... lost revenue from the Grey Cup, and a very old team (more than 10 starters in their 30?s).  BC and Toronto would be tied for 2nd, imo.

Toronto might actually be helped, having the least reduction in expected revenues...

But yeah, it'll be tough on the community owned Riders, with that new building to pay for as well...

A short season would benefit older players though.

Shortened season, sure... no season, not so much...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:00:22 PM »

A shortened season with minimal training camp and no preseason games benefits teams who've made fewer changes both on the field and on the sidelines. In that scenario, teams like Winnipeg, Hamilton, Saskatchewan, Calgary and Montreal are in good shape (Same HC, returning QBs, only losing one coordinator). Teams like BC and Edmonton are in a middle group, as they have HC changes but retain their starting QBs. Toronto and Ottawa are in a double bind as they have new HCs and new QBs.

A cancelled season brings a bigger financial component to question. Also, the teams with guys on the last year of their contracts won't like losing that year.

The other solution is to play the entire season in Toronto where social distancing has been practiced for many years at CFL games.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
blue_gold_84

For The W

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 05:29:31 PM »

Every team will suffer substantially because of this pandemic. And this will be a serious blow as a whole to a gate-driven league like CFL, IMO. Obviously, teams with more "complicated" financial situations are worse off, as will be the obvious Grey Cup host anticipating increased revenue from that event. I also think this puts a serious damper on already shaky expansion aspirations in the maritimes.

No training camps scheduled means the situation is pretty dire from the standpoint of there being a 2020 season. At least IMO. Pushing things back even a month changes the landscape of a season and that's probably an optimistic estimate at this point.

#forthew

Slava Ukraini!
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 06:03:58 PM »

Every team will suffer substantially because of this pandemic. And this will be a serious blow as a whole to a gate-driven league like CFL, IMO. Obviously, teams with more "complicated" financial situations are worse off, as will be the obvious Grey Cup host anticipating increased revenue from that event. I also think this puts a serious damper on already shaky expansion aspirations in the maritimes.

No training camps scheduled means the situation is pretty dire from the standpoint of there being a 2020 season. At least IMO. Pushing things back even a month changes the landscape of a season and that's probably an optimistic estimate at this point.

I never even thought about that piece. I'd say it puts the kaibosh on that long term. Governments won't be involved in much stadium financing going forward, and the private sector has been hammered by this. However, I'd suspect that there will be a tonne of stimulus money that will come forward out of this. Who knows where any of that lands. Nevertheless, I imagine that there will be an unprecedented amount of stimulus that will land in the pockets of actual people and families as opposed to just corporations.

I have not seen any confirmation of this, but someone was telling me that the Commissioner has made clear that both the date and location of the Grey Cup are not to be altered, and that any scheduling for 2020 will reflect a Regina Grey Cup on the currently scheduled date.

Pushing the date back but keeping the game in Regina means a December Grey Cup outdoors in Regina. Not ideal, but I would think that they could go as far as Christmas for holding a Grey Cup.

Posting Live From Home

TecnoGenius

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »

As some have already mentioned, there's two components to "suffer": financial and on-field success.

All teams will suffer financially.  What do the player contracts look like?  Do they still get paid if there is no season or is there provision for "layoffs"?  Things like signing bonuses will obviously be lost.  Do teams continue to pay players anyhow, even if not contractually obligated, in order to be altruistic?  If they don't pay the players, does that release them from their contracts?

Financially, it hurts the already-struggling teams more, because they are already on the knife-edge of bankruptcy.  Boy did Ambrosie pull off a miracle pawning off MTL onto the new owners just in time for financial armageddon!  TOR and BC, and even OTT, will be hurt as their finances were already dire with their low turnouts last year.

On-field, I think it most hurts the 2019 powerhouse teams that largely maintained their roster.  That means WPG and HAM.  If there's no 2020 season then there's a year of Willie's 2-year contract wasted.  Same with all the superstar players.  And then they are also going to be a year older, and then have a year's worth of rust.  The youngest guys might bounce back better from this than the over-30's.

2020 had a reasonable chance of having a repeat GC: WPG v HAM.  If we all wait until 2021, then it's pretty much wide open and anyone's guess as the momentum cannot carry over that far out.

If any team wins "on field" from a delayed/cancelled season, it'll be the weakest teams: EDM, BC, TOR, OTT.  It gives them another year to get their act together.  It's like when the lights went out in New Orleans in the superbowl: it only helped the losing team to regroup and rally.  That's assuming they don't go bankrupt first, of course.

I think the more interesting question is what is going to happen to the CFL as a whole?  Can the league and the owners in aggregate afford to lose a year of revenue?  I bet TSN isn't going to be paying for dead air.  And current STH will have to be compensated.  That would mean no revenue at all.  Do all involved have enough rainy day funds to survive??

This all sucks.  Pray for the best outcome everyone!!

Never go full Rider!
blue girl

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 07:57:29 PM »

Financially all of the teams will suffer because there will be no ticket sales or TV revenue. This is why the league wants to have some kind of season. IMO the teams that will suffer most will be BC and Toronto maybe even Calgary because their owner is going to lose a ton of money on the Flames. My question is what happens with the one year contracts that were signed. Do these players become free agents again next year? I can't see players getting played for games that were never played especially since there's no revenue coming in. As for fan support I expect that the fans in Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Hamilton and Edmonton will support their teams but I'm not sure about the rest. I did see something in The Sun on Saturday that TSN will be airing games that they have in their archives so at least they're trying to keep people from forgetting about The CFL.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 08:57:11 PM »

I don't think anyone can even begin to predict the impact of a cancelled season. If the entire season is gone, there are going to be some much larger economic and societal issues beyond pro sports that we'll all be grappling with.

I hold to my belief that a partial season with an abbreviated training camp/preseason benefits the teams with roster and coaching stability. I like our chances in that scenario.

A fully lost season does not provide any extra motivation for anyone. It's not the New Orleans scenario even remotely. That was one team playing in a city that was devastated. They also didn't become champions for years after Katrina. This would be the entire league. A terrible team like Toronto would not have any extra motivation than a top team like Winnipeg or Hamilton.

Posting Live From Home

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 08:58:42 PM »

We all do. What team suffers most? The teams that are already struggling of course: Toronto, Montreal, maybe BC to an extent. Just like more traditional businesses, the teams with the biggest followings and most support are in a position to weather the storm best both financially and organizationally.

If you're speaking about wins and losses assuming there's a shortened season, then teams with new coaching staffs and younger teams factoring in that rookie camp is gone, training camp and pre-season will be gone or significantly shortened, etc. Off the top of my head: Ottawa, Toronto, BC.
blue girl

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 09:37:12 PM »

I agree that in a shortened season the teams with the least changes have the biggest advantage. If the league insists on playing The Grey Cup on November 22 though by my calculations they would have to start no later than the week after Labour Day to play 8 games in 9 weeks. In this case I would suggest playing 1 division with the playoffs being 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 with the winners playing in The Grey Cup.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 09:56:22 PM »

We all do. What team suffers most? The teams that are already struggling of course: Toronto, Montreal, maybe BC to an extent. Just like more traditional businesses, the teams with the biggest followings and most support are in a position to weather the storm best both financially and organizationally.

If you're speaking about wins and losses assuming there's a shortened season, then teams with new coaching staffs and younger teams factoring in that rookie camp is gone, training camp and pre-season will be gone or significantly shortened, etc. Off the top of my head: Ottawa, Toronto, BC.
Bingo! I agree with the above.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue girl

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 11:31:37 PM »

Well it looks like it's started. According to tsn.ca The Stampeders have informed their staff that they'll be taking 10-25% paycuts and Montreal is laying off staff starting next Monday.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 12:07:04 AM »

Its over

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
GCn19

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 03:02:31 AM »

The Riders likely suffer the most as they may lose out on hosting a Grey Cup.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: