Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2021, 10:58:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers add two to roster - February 28, 2020  (Read 6692 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: February 28, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »

Blue Bombers add two to roster - February 28, 2020

WINNIPEG, MB., February 28, 2020 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has added American defensive back Isaiah Johnson and American offensive lineman Shane Carpenter.

Johnson (6-1, 212, South Carolina, October 14, 1992 in Cary, NC) spent three seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2016-2018), including a full season on their practice roster, after signing as an undrafted free agent from the SEC's South Carolina Gamecocks. Johnson saw action in four games in 2017, and 15 games (four starts) in 2018. During that 2018 season, Johnson recorded 48 total tackles (40 solo), two pass deflections and one interception. At the collegiate level, Johnson played two seasons at Kansas (2013, 2014) and his final season at South Carolina (2015), finishing that year as the Gamecocks' second leading tackler (74) and recording one interception. Overall, Johnson started all 36 of his career Division 1 college football games.

Carpenter (6-6, 320, Louisiana Tech, August 7, 1996, in Walker, LA) played 53 games at Louisiana Tech over four seasons and participated in mini-camp with the 49ers in 2019.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »

Johnson has some good size and experience. The fight to make the roster is always interesting to hear about during TC for those that make the main camp.

Rookies always sound good but it does appear each year the contenders are getting better.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
booch

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 03:10:32 PM »

Johnson has some good size and experience. The fight to make the roster is always interesting to hear about during TC for those that make the main camp.

Rookies always sound good but it does appear each year the contenders are getting better.

Yeah looks to be a good candidate to battle for the boundary corner spot...perfect body type for it...he's also a real good guy on ST's...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:12:44 PM by booch » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »

We already have 9 rookie import DB's signed. There is always a bit of a rotating door as some lose out to other candidates found in mini camps etc. That said the main TC usually starts with around 10 rookies getting a very close look.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 06:53:31 PM »

Should be crazy competitive at the DB position!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 07:44:49 PM »

Should be crazy competitive at the DB position!

From what I've seen of the signings, it should be crazy competitive at most D positions!!  I guess the idea is you throw 50 guys at the wall and see if 1 or 2 stick.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 06:36:27 PM »

From what I've seen of the signings, it should be crazy competitive at most D positions!!  I guess the idea is you throw 50 guys at the wall and see if 1 or 2 stick.

When you only have a couple positions that are up in the air you can do that.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
DM83

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 10:14:03 AM »

Johnson sounds like a stud.
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 04:17:23 PM »

We have several veteran DB's that could potentially play several positions. Of those who ends up lining up at either CB, 1 inside DHB ( replacing Sayles ) or at safety will be the questions.

1. Is M. Jones as good as he looked in the Grey Cup and does he move to strong side CB?
2. Does B. Alexander move to DHB or does Josh Johnson take that role?
3. Conversely is there a chance J. Johnson and Alexander flip those choices.
4. Are they planning for Alexander to remain at safety?
5. Is it possible Antiqua starts at safety?

I have no doubt we have enough veteran talent to put a good secondary together. Who lines up where could be a multitude of variations.

Rookies: Some of these rookies sound impressive. More will be added before the main TC. Who's to say we don't find the next Sayles or Alexander?

Since our most probable position to identify is CB so maybe we find the next Tre Roberson or Winston Rose?

Let the mini camps begin and the search for the next talent begin. 

Can't wait.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 04:56:39 PM »

We have several veteran DB's that could potentially play several positions. Of those who ends up lining up at either CB, 1 inside DHB ( replacing Sayles ) or at safety will be the questions.

1. Is M. Jones as good as he looked in the Grey Cup and does he move to strong side CB?
2. Does B. Alexander move to DHB or does Josh Johnson take that role?
3. Conversely is there a chance J. Johnson and Alexander flip those choices.
4. Are they planning for Alexander to remain at safety?
5. Is it possible Antiqua starts at safety?

I have no doubt we have enough veteran talent to put a good secondary together. Who lines up where could be a multitude of variations.

Rookies: Some of these rookies sound impressive. More will be added before the main TC. Who's to say we don't find the next Sayles or Alexander?

Since our most probable position to identify is CB so maybe we find the next Tre Roberson or Winston Rose?

Let the mini camps begin and the search for the next talent begin. 

Can't wait.

1.   Maston is the SAM, and I get the feeling Nick Taylor would be next man up in case of injury.  Jones will get every chance to lock down field corner, but he will have to compete for it.

2, 3, and 4.   I take Walters at his word, that Alexander is going to be our safety.  Not sure where Josh Johnson fits in, I am sure they will try him in a few spots, but my guess is he ends up at boundary corner.  I think it will be a dogfight for DHB, and versatility will be an advantage for any of the rookies.

5.  No way Antiqua starts at safety.  They may drop him back there for some sets to confuse the read or disguise a safety blitz, or even as an in-game replacement.  I think he mainly going to be playing in the Roh/Kabongo role, but with more flexibility to be used in coverage occasionally. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 05:48:28 PM »

Alexander might be our best DB. IMO keeping him at safety is a waste of his talent. He can certainly play well there but does it make sense? I'd much prefer to see him moved to DHB if we can resolve the who plays where at CB.

In theory a rookie could start at safety even while on a CFL learning curve. All the talk last year was safety is the easiest place to fill.

Like I said then WHY put Alexander there?  MOS says a lot of things but TC can change many things as we see what we have in the rookies etc.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 06:02:49 PM »

Alexander might be our best DB. IMO keeping him at safety is a waste of his talent. He can certainly play well there but does it make sense? I'd much prefer to see him moved to DHB if we can resolve the who plays where at CB.

In theory a rookie could start at safety even while on a CFL learning curve. All the talk last year was safety is the easiest place to fill.

Like I said then WHY put Alexander there?  MOS says a lot of things but TC can change many things as we see what we have in the rookies etc.

I don't know who said safety was the easiest position to fill, if that was the talk, then they were talking nonsense.  It's true that the safety has to be a bit more cerebral and can be a tad slower than a DHB, but a quality safety shows up in results.  the position doesn't get as much respect because teams often hide a Canadian starter there, much like we did with Hecht.

In the absence of a blue chip National like Loffler, you want an experienced and capable veteran at the safety spot.  They make key decisions about where to commit.  I think you are undervaluing the safety position. 

While finding a capable DHB is no picnic, converting a high quality NCAA or NFL prospect into a CB is pretty quick. Sayles picked up DHB fairly quickly though.  So they will cycle a lot of guys through. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 06:09:07 PM »

I don't know who said safety was the easiest position to fill, if that was the talk, then they were talking nonsense.  It's true that the safety has to be a bit more cerebral and can be a tad slower than a DHB, but a quality safety shows up in results.  the position doesn't get as much respect because teams often hide a Canadian starter there, much like we did with Hecht.

In the absence of a blue chip National like Loffler, you want an experienced and capable veteran at the safety spot.  They make key decisions about where to commit.  I think you are undervaluing the safety position. 

While finding a capable DHB is no picnic, converting a high quality NCAA or NFL prospect into a CB is pretty quick. Sayles picked up DHB fairly quickly though.  So they will cycle a lot of guys through. 

Half the posters here said safety is the easiest position to play in the secondary and it's valid. It's the least likely to see man to man coverage situations.

Yes a quality safety can make a difference but a top CB and DHB are much more difficult to find.

I think you've forgotten how many rookie CB's have started and played poorly and been released by the Bombers. Even a few more than 1 year in the CFL.

Last year we had Humes, Rios and Fenner among others fail at both CB and DHB.

Alexander and Sayles both struggled in their 1st season starting at DHB. Learning curve is tough adapting to CFL motion and wider field.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »

Half the posters here said safety is the easiest position to play in the secondary and it's valid. It's the least likely to see man to man coverage situations.

Yes a quality safety can make a difference but a top CB and DHB are much more difficult to find.

I think you've forgotten how many rookie CB's have started and played poorly and been released by the Bombers. Even a few more than 1 year in the CFL.

Last year we had Humes, Rios and Fenner among others fail at both CB and DHB.

Alexander and Sayles both struggled in their 1st season starting at DHB. Learning curve is tough adapting to CFL motion and wider field.

First off, the fact that a majority of posters on this or any other CFL forum are in agreement on something does not increase the likelihood of that something being true, not one iota. 

The likelihood of a safety having to play man is entirely dependent on the defensive scheme and the coverage call for that play.  Yes, you can tailor the safety position to play less man if you are trying to hide a guy, but if you have a safety who can cover in man, then you have a more dynamic secondary.

We go through a ton of DBs every year.  Part of that is because we start 6 of them (including the SAM) and frequently have one as DI as well.  Its the single largest position group on the team.  Yes, you have to go through a lot of prospects to find the ones that stick, but that's par for the course.  And they try most of these guys out at multiple positions. 

DHB is tougher to play than corner, no doubt about it.  But both Sayles and Alexander were very good their first year, but for Alexander the entire secondary suffered from moving guys around to cover injuries in his rookie year. 

Anyway, you are certainly entitled for your preference to have Alexander play a different position.  I just think that view runs counter to the conclusions that Walters has reached.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 06:48:15 PM »

First off, the fact that a majority of posters on this or any other CFL forum are in agreement on something does not increase the likelihood of that something being true, not one iota. 

The likelihood of a safety having to play man is entirely dependent on the defensive scheme and the coverage call for that play.  Yes, you can tailor the safety position to play less man if you are trying to hide a guy, but if you have a safety who can cover in man, then you have a more dynamic secondary.

We go through a ton of DBs every year.  Part of that is because we start 6 of them (including the SAM) and frequently have one as DI as well.  Its the single largest position group on the team.  Yes, you have to go through a lot of prospects to find the ones that stick, but that's par for the course.  And they try most of these guys out at multiple positions. 

DHB is tougher to play than corner, no doubt about it.  But both Sayles and Alexander were very good their first year, but for Alexander the entire secondary suffered from moving guys around to cover injuries in his rookie year. 

Anyway, you are certainly entitled for your preference to have Alexander play a different position.  I just think that view runs counter to the conclusions that Walters has reached.

The best player in the secondary is never going to be the safety. It has nothing to do with what posters are specifically saying. Keeping in mind there are posters here that have actually played in the CFL.

It has to do more ( for my point ) with watching the CFL for over 60 years. I'd suggest that is also the view of the many long term CFL viewers etc.

It's why teams accept the safety as the least area of concern in the secondary and why marginal starters like Hecht start there backed up up D. Jones in 2019. Yes it's where they try to hide a Canadian in the ratio. You don't do that if it's where it will cause you the most harm.

Eliminate the ratio and I'd suggest every team would be starting an import given a choice.

I always have to take what Walters says with a grain of salt.

As I said IMO Alexander might be our best DB at the moment. That could change during TC. But if he turns out to be our best DB then safety is not where he should be playing.

Our secondary developed to be very good in the last 1/3 of the season. The Canadian rotation on the DL improvement allowed us to deploy Alexander to replace the weakest link at that point in time ( Hecht ).

It could be debated that earlier in the year Fenner at CB was the most harmful in the secondary. In 2018 it was K. Fogg at CB.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:54:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_or_die

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 07:09:15 PM »

Yes, safety is the easiest position to fill. That's not to say you won't suffer if you under service it (Hecht) or benefit if you over service it (Alexander). If Walters feels we have a sufficient wealth at DB and have the ratio set then we can afford to use our best DB to make a huge impact at such a position and truly live up to the name of said position. Last year we did because we had Kongbo, as well as Rose and Sayles. This year we have lost those guys.

I'm bullish on Jones and think he will be boundary CB. I'm thinking J. Johnson at BHB perhaps Alexander does in fact stay at safety, although I'd prefer to have Alexander at BHB and JJ at field half back. Taylor is kind of a wild card but could play the remaining HB or CB slots. Looking like it's possible to have a rookie at field corner which isn't the worst thing in the wake of losing top end talent to the NFL, provided we have 4 of the 5 DB positions as solid knowns (plus Maston at SAM, of course).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 07:12:09 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »

The best player in the secondary is never going to be the safety. It has nothing to do with what posters are specifically saying. Keeping in mind there are posters here that have actually played in the CFL.

It has to do more ( for my point ) with watching the CFL for over 60 years. I'd suggest that is also the view of the many long term CFL viewers etc.

It's why teams accept the safety as the least area of concern in the secondary and why marginal starters like Hecht start there backed up up D. Jones in 2019. Yes it's where they try to hide a Canadian in the ratio. You don't do that if it's where it will cause you the most harm.

Eliminate the ratio and I'd suggest every team would be starting an import given a choice.

I always have to take what Walters says with a grain of salt.

As I said IMO Alexander might be our best DB at the moment. That could change during TC. But if he turns out to be our best DB then safety is not where he should be playing.

Our secondary developed to be very good in the last 1/3 of the season. The Canadian rotation on the DL improvement allowed us to deploy Alexander to replace the weakest link at that point in time ( Hecht ).

It could be debated that earlier in the year Fenner at CB was the most harmful in the secondary. In 2018 it was K. Fogg at CB.

Yes safety is the easiest spot to fill, bar none, unless yhou run some exotic type defense where you use a free and strong safety and move another DB around to match man to man with a teams best guy much like we used to do with Bolden, then he should have good cover skills

But generally in a CFL defense you need a guy with quickness, ability to read a play and and flow to the ball...be it over the top help, or to collapse down on a run..95% of time thats his role..over the top help in double coverages, and run support

I also agree Alexander at safety is a nice luxury if you can do that, but is a waste of probably one of the better more experienced DB's on our roster.

Even though Waltyer's said what he said, I would hope Hallett or Exume both get every opportunity to show they can manage that position as a defense with a National safety and a young run plugging DT (ala last years find in Richardson) would serve us better than at moment a rotation of Jake and Griffiths.

Further to the safety thing, why do you think a lot of times in past, teams have had a converted receiever morph into a safety?...it's not a tough spot to play..you just need athleticism and a brain in your head
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »

If we find a solution to our Canadian starting / rotating on defense ( probably on the DL ) then we have the luxury of an import at safety.

I'm hoping that Griffith shows enough to be able to rotate on the DL with Thomas. However I suppose we could see other players rotating in such as Briggs at WIL.

Neither of those options gives me much confidence at the moment. Not much to go on with Griffiths and he may not even make the roster.

Obviously like many posters I'm hoping Hallett or Exume win the role at safety. That resolves may issues and creates more options on defensive rotation situations. I agree with Booch that would serve us better than a Canadian rotation at DT. At least until we see what Griffiths shows in TC.

Finding and adding another top rookie DB gives us other options if necessary.

Once we decide the ratio aspect we'll have a better understanding of what choices we have in the secondary.

Since several of the vets we have can play several positions it's not easy to predict what today's plan would look like. Add in ratio questions and rookie finds and it just makes something that will be interesting in TC as well as dynamic.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:09:40 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TecnoGenius

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 09:08:04 PM »

I also agree Alexander at safety is a nice luxury if you can do that, but is a waste of probably one of the better more experienced DB's on our roster.

I don't know... Having monster Alexander at FS in the GC yielded huge (critical?) dividends.  Just off the top of my head: INT on HAMs first pass set the tone of Tabby demoralization and gave us instant field position advantage.

Yes, everyone always says hide the lacklustre NAT at FS.  But it sure was amazing to see what Alexander could do back there...

If you've found the winning formula, why change it?  Get another decent NAT DL and keep rotating with Fatboi.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 08:13:58 AM by TecnoGenius » Logged

Never go full Rider!
booch

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 09:10:57 PM »

I don't know... Having monster Alexander at FS in the GC yielded huge (critical?) dividends.  Just off the top of my head: INT on HAMs first pass set the tone of Tabby demoralization and gave us instant field position advantage; and huge hit on Evans when he was running left on 2nd & long to stop their drive.  He also helped stuff Sutton and Addison runs in the middle a couple/few times.  Every single time he laid on hellacious hits.

Yes, everyone always says hide the lacklustre NAT at FS.  But it sure was amazing to see what Alexander could do back there...

If you've found the winning formula, why change it?  Get another decent NAT DL and keep rotating with Fatboi.

Yeah he had a strong game...no questioning that, but the int was basically being in the right spot on a deflected over throw, not due to a unbelievable cover play
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 09:14:02 PM »

I don't know... Having monster Alexander at FS in the GC yielded huge (critical?) dividends.  Just off the top of my head: INT on HAMs first pass set the tone of Tabby demoralization and gave us instant field position advantage; and huge hit on Evans when he was running left on 2nd & long to stop their drive.  He also helped stuff Sutton and Addison runs in the middle a couple/few times.  Every single time he laid on hellacious hits.

We've covered the WHY in detail. That includes the fact we may not have or find a decent NAT DL.

M. Jones has only started a few games and he may become great or may struggle as a full time starter.

Taylor has limited experience as well.

We no longer have Sayles or W. Rose who were part of the winning formula. That's the issue at the moment.

Maybe 1 or both return by TC ( unlikely ) but things will change as we approach TC.

Maybe we sign somebody like Jonathan Rose or equivalent to resolve 1 CB position.  Maybe M. Jones is the real deal or some new rookie will be found in TC.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:16:42 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TecnoGenius

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »

Maybe we sign somebody like Jonathan Rose or equivalent to resolve 1 CB position.  Maybe M. Jones is the real deal or some new rookie will be found in TC.

After Jones#16's astoundingly good 4(?) starts, I actually have zero doubt he's the real deal.  It makes losing Rose/Sayles slightly less painful.

Besides, I think the Mafia has become a master at finding DB talent late in the season.  In fact, getting amazing DBs late in the season might be part of our strategy (cheaper than paying top talents all year).

Never go full Rider!
booch

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 09:46:27 PM »

After Jones#16's astoundingly good 4(?) starts, I actually have zero doubt he's the real deal.  It makes losing Rose/Sayles slightly less painful.

Besides, I think the Mafia has become a master at finding DB talent late in the season.  In fact, getting amazing DBs late in the season might be part of our strategy (cheaper than paying top talents all year).

Coaches were very high on Jones all year, and actually I was kinda shocked he never grabbed a spot right outta camp but we went with the vet in Fenner...plus he's an accomplished returner too, so he has nice value on a roster
Blue In BC

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 10:49:12 PM »

I was impressed with M. Jones play and have high hopes he'll be a stud in 2020. That said he's started 4 games and only been on the roster for 7? There will be more film on him and he might struggle a bit early in the 2020 campaign.

1st year DB's tend to get better in their 2nd season so I have no real reason to think he won't follow that pattern.

Losing Rose and Sayles is going to be an adjustment. So overall we'll see how things shape up in the secondary. We do have some very good talent and up and comers.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »

Coaches were very high on Jones all year, and actually I was kinda shocked he never grabbed a spot right outta camp but we went with the vet in Fenner...plus he's an accomplished returner too, so he has nice value on a roster

Must have been pre-season Jones fumbled a punt around the 5 yard line and turned over the ball, that was all she wrote, after that never saw much of him for a couple of months.
GCn19

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »

I don't know... Having monster Alexander at FS in the GC yielded huge (critical?) dividends.  Just off the top of my head: INT on HAMs first pass set the tone of Tabby demoralization and gave us instant field position advantage.

Alexander is a huge asset at S, no doubt about it, but S is probably the easiest position to recruit or promote someone else at. I only say that because Alexander is very good in the secondary where recruitment is tougher. Personally, I don't have much faith in the Thomas/Griffith tandem on the DL and would much prefer we utilize a NAT at S. I am among the many that would love to see Exume or someone else steal the S job. However, I do really like BA there so if that's whats best then let's do it.

booch

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »

Must have been pre-season Jones fumbled a punt around the 5 yard line and turned over the ball, that was all she wrote, after that never saw much of him for a couple of months.
Yup...but fact they kept him around all season...says volumes...earned his way back
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »

Yup...but fact they kept him around all season...says volumes...earned his way back

Hard to say but that's an interesting point. I took that a little differently for a few reasons.

1. They may have wanted to get Grant on the roster as our punt returner.
2. I don't remember the exact sequence but MOS / Hall probably wanted to get Humes and then Rios on the roster. Humes had been around for most of 2018 and Rios might have initially ranked higher in TC.
3. Some times a few more weeks on the PR is beneficial to rookies and their learning curve.

Either way Jones came on big in the play offs and could be a dominant player this season.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2020, 05:00:52 PM »

Hard to say but that's an interesting point. I took that a little differently for a few reasons.

1. They may have wanted to get Grant on the roster as our punt returner.
2. I don't remember the exact sequence but MOS / Hall probably wanted to get Humes and then Rios on the roster. Humes had been around for most of 2018 and Rios might have initially ranked higher in TC.
3. Some times a few more weeks on the PR is beneficial to rookies and their learning curve.

Either way Jones came on big in the play offs and could be a dominant player this season.

It looks like they have given up on Rios, I think that's a mistake as he has the potential and athletic tools to become a solid DB once he gets past the rookie mistake phase.  I expect him to re-emerge elsewhere this season.
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »

It looks like they have given up on Rios, I think that's a mistake as he has the potential and athletic tools to become a solid DB once he gets past the rookie mistake phase.  I expect him to re-emerge elsewhere this season.

It's hard to say. There may have more to his release than on off field issues. I'm not trying to say there is something " bad " about him.

However he may have had more difficulty in understanding the playbook or taking instructions from coaches than others for example.

Maybe some technique / footwork habits in college were harder for him to break.

Aside from speed or raw athletic talent there are so many other factors that determine whether a player sticks or not.

That's not intended to paint a negative picture of him or any other player that is released. It's just the business reality is that there is always a " next " that may be perceived as greater upside.

He made some plays. He made some mistakes. Happens to every DB. Ultimately he may not have been willing to accept a PR role and teams can't always retain players on 1 game IR.

He might show up elsewhere during TC but there are dozens of other choices teams have. Overall it is a bit surprising that we have no DB's from the PR returning. Add to that the loss of Rose, Sayles, Fenner, D. Jones, Hecht and Gaitor from the SAM and DB group we're going to see some new faces.

That's not necessarily a bad thing but different than we've seen in recent seasons.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:26:58 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 04:05:41 PM »

I don't think they gave up on Rios. He just got beat out.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 09:11:41 PM »

I don't think they gave up on Rios. He just got beat out.

Rios had those 2 games (including the horrible MTL comeback) where his brain completely malfunctioned at key times.  I broke down those plays ad nauseum at the time.  Right after that MOS/Hall benched him.

He seems to have the physical talent (that great INT for instance), but may not have the upstairs power he requires in Hall's complex D.  And since upstairs deficiencies can't generally be fixed, I bet he's out after TC.  If I'm wrong, and they were just transient brain farts, and we do keep him, then he could possibly improve in his 2nd year.

I think the MOS/Lapo/Hall schemes require a smarter than average player.

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 12:16:26 AM »

Rios had those 2 games (including the horrible MTL comeback) where his brain completely malfunctioned at key times.  I broke down those plays ad nauseum at the time.  Right after that MOS/Hall benched him.

He seems to have the physical talent (that great INT for instance), but may not have the upstairs power he requires in Hall's complex D.  And since upstairs deficiencies can't generally be fixed, I bet he's out after TC.  If I'm wrong, and they were just transient brain farts, and we do keep him, then he could possibly improve in his 2nd year.

I think the MOS/Lapo/Hall schemes require a smarter than average player.

Rios was on the PR at the end of the season, so he's already gone.  Doesn't mean they couldn't invite him back if they wanted to though.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 08:31:43 AM »

Rios was on the PR at the end of the season, so he's already gone.  Doesn't mean they couldn't invite him back if they wanted to though.

Good point, I forgot that.  Hey, do any of those PR guys get a ring?  Rios started quite a few games for us (10) -- possibly more than Nichols?

Wouldn't it be a bit weird if we give a ring to "Gaitor the Traitor" (ending on the 1GIL if Wikipedia is to be trusted) -- excuse my liberties with the label, it was hard to find a rhyme -- after he abandoned us over his demotion, but not Rios?

And how on earth did Gaitor end on the 1 game?  When he was sent packing, couldn't we have put him on the PR or even suspended him from the roster completely?  I guess that means he was still getting a cheque all the way through the GC win... maybe even the playoff bonus money?!?  AND costing us SMS space because we didn't 6-game him?  Wacky!

Hey, this is weird, Gaitor's stats have been wiped from clf.ca/players stats area like he never existed.  That's odd!  Did he get banished from the CFL completely?  I knew things were real sour Gaitor v WFC, but I didn't know he did something to warrant banishment and memory-holing from the entire league!

Did some googling and can't find any mention of Gaitor in any league beyond November.  Looks like we'll never see him north of the border again.  Don't mess with The Canadian Mafia is the moral of the story, I guess!  I bet there's a lot more to the story, and I bet it's juicy... too bad we don't have the inside scoop.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 05:57:32 PM »

Good point, I forgot that.  Hey, do any of those PR guys get a ring?  Rios started quite a few games for us (10) -- possibly more than Nichols?

Wouldn't it be a bit weird if we give a ring to "Gaitor the Traitor" (ending on the 1GIL if Wikipedia is to be trusted) -- excuse my liberties with the label, it was hard to find a rhyme -- after he abandoned us over his demotion, but not Rios?

And how on earth did Gaitor end on the 1 game?  When he was sent packing, couldn't we have put him on the PR or even suspended him from the roster completely?  I guess that means he was still getting a cheque all the way through the GC win... maybe even the playoff bonus money?!?  AND costing us SMS space because we didn't 6-game him?  Wacky!

Hey, this is weird, Gaitor's stats have been wiped from clf.ca/players stats area like he never existed.  That's odd!  Did he get banished from the CFL completely?  I knew things were real sour Gaitor v WFC, but I didn't know he did something to warrant banishment and memory-holing from the entire league!

Did some googling and can't find any mention of Gaitor in any league beyond November.  Looks like we'll never see him north of the border again.  Don't mess with The Canadian Mafia is the moral of the story, I guess!  I bet there's a lot more to the story, and I bet it's juicy... too bad we don't have the inside scoop.

Gaitor was a veteran and the CBA might not have allowed him to be released outright without a fight. To that end he was placed on the 1 game IR. While I don't think that is fair it may have been a a better PR move by the organization.

I suspect he'll get a GC ring as a result. Keep in mind it was his 2nd season with the team.

EDIT: His stats do show in both team and CFL.CA when you switch to 2019 stats. He had 34 DT's.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:00:56 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 08:21:40 PM »

Gaitor was a veteran and the CBA might not have allowed him to be released outright without a fight. To that end he was placed on the 1 game IR. While I don't think that is fair it may have been a a better PR move by the organization.

I suspect he'll get a GC ring as a result. Keep in mind it was his 2nd season with the team.

EDIT: His stats do show in both team and CFL.CA when you switch to 2019 stats. He had 34 DT's.

We could have released him but then you set a dangerous precedent.

Blue In BC

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »

We could have released him but then you set a dangerous precedent.

He was in his 4th season so past the vet cut down date. So in theory we'd be paying him. Putting him on the 1 game IR may have been done to prevent him from going to another team in 2019? A suspension was in order but I'm not familiar with the criteria in supporting that decision.

Either way it was a dangerous precedent.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 10:18:38 PM »

According to the CBA, any player on the roster or injured list for the playoffs is entitled to both playoff money and a Grey Cup ring.  Practice roster, not so much.

Gaitor, as a 4 year veteran, would be guaranteed his regular season pay, bonuses and playoff money if released after cut down day.

I believe that players released after the regular season is over cannot sign with another club for the playoffs.  I can't put my finger on the clause in the CBA, but it might be in the league bylaws instead.  I recall looking it up before though.

So I don't think there would be any precedent set as such, but had they released Gaitor before game 18, he could have signed with another club.  Since they had to pay him anyway, might as well tie him up.

It is common for released players to disappear from the cfl.ca database, or at least from the search function, until they sign with another team.  Its a glitch, and a real pain in the butt.

grab grass 'n growl
TecnoGenius

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2020, 04:25:00 AM »

Can you send me the link to the cfl.ca page for Gaitor?  I still can't find him!?  How do I "switch to 2019 stats"?  Thanks!!

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »

Can you send me the link to the cfl.ca page for Gaitor?  I still can't find him!?  How do I "switch to 2019 stats"?  Thanks!!

Just go to stats, league leaders and it already comes up with 2019 stats. Gaitor had 34 DT's. However at this point does it really matter?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:45:03 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TecnoGenius

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »

Just go to stats, league leaders and it already comes up with 2019 stats. Gaitor had 34 DT's. However at this point does it really matter?

Oh I see it now... you guys are talking about the big list pages.  Yes, Gaitor is in there.  But click on his name... it goes to "page not found"

https://www.cfl.ca/players/anthony-gaitor/160884/

For fun I clicked on the top-200 D players in that 2019 stats list and every single player except 3 come up with an individual stats page.  The 3 that don't are:

Gaitor
De-Chavon Hayes https://www.cfl.ca/players/de-chavon-hayes/163755/
Mike Jones#16 https://www.cfl.ca/players/mike-jones/164827/

Jones hasn't worked all year because of the name conflict with HAM.  I'm assuming that's a cfl site bug.  I used to try checking mid/late season and it was broken then too.

I can't explain Hayes' problem.  He seems to still be on OTT's roster.  Maybe it's because his name has an apostrophe in it (another site bug).

But Gaitor... there's no reason his page should be broken.  His name has nothing weird about it, and it's not duplicated.  He's just... gone.

As for mattering... why does something have to "matter" to you for it to make me curious?  In fact, why does it have to matter to me either for me to be curious?  Things that make me go hmmmm make me go hmmmmm.  3 players with broken pages out of 200, and one because of an obvious duplication bug.  So 2 that are difficult to explain, and 1 just happens to be the guy who crossed The Mafia the wrong way... Maybe Gaitor sleeps with the fishes!  Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Shocked  Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: