Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2021, 10:31:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers add two to roster - February 28, 2020  (Read 6688 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: February 28, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »

Blue Bombers add two to roster - February 28, 2020

WINNIPEG, MB., February 28, 2020 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has added American defensive back Isaiah Johnson and American offensive lineman Shane Carpenter.

Johnson (6-1, 212, South Carolina, October 14, 1992 in Cary, NC) spent three seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2016-2018), including a full season on their practice roster, after signing as an undrafted free agent from the SEC's South Carolina Gamecocks. Johnson saw action in four games in 2017, and 15 games (four starts) in 2018. During that 2018 season, Johnson recorded 48 total tackles (40 solo), two pass deflections and one interception. At the collegiate level, Johnson played two seasons at Kansas (2013, 2014) and his final season at South Carolina (2015), finishing that year as the Gamecocks' second leading tackler (74) and recording one interception. Overall, Johnson started all 36 of his career Division 1 college football games.

Carpenter (6-6, 320, Louisiana Tech, August 7, 1996, in Walker, LA) played 53 games at Louisiana Tech over four seasons and participated in mini-camp with the 49ers in 2019.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »

Johnson has some good size and experience. The fight to make the roster is always interesting to hear about during TC for those that make the main camp.

Rookies always sound good but it does appear each year the contenders are getting better.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
booch

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 03:10:32 PM »

Johnson has some good size and experience. The fight to make the roster is always interesting to hear about during TC for those that make the main camp.

Rookies always sound good but it does appear each year the contenders are getting better.

Yeah looks to be a good candidate to battle for the boundary corner spot...perfect body type for it...he's also a real good guy on ST's...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:12:44 PM by booch » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »

We already have 9 rookie import DB's signed. There is always a bit of a rotating door as some lose out to other candidates found in mini camps etc. That said the main TC usually starts with around 10 rookies getting a very close look.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 06:53:31 PM »

Should be crazy competitive at the DB position!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 07:44:49 PM »

Should be crazy competitive at the DB position!

From what I've seen of the signings, it should be crazy competitive at most D positions!!  I guess the idea is you throw 50 guys at the wall and see if 1 or 2 stick.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 06:36:27 PM »

From what I've seen of the signings, it should be crazy competitive at most D positions!!  I guess the idea is you throw 50 guys at the wall and see if 1 or 2 stick.

When you only have a couple positions that are up in the air you can do that.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
DM83

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 10:14:03 AM »

Johnson sounds like a stud.
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 04:17:23 PM »

We have several veteran DB's that could potentially play several positions. Of those who ends up lining up at either CB, 1 inside DHB ( replacing Sayles ) or at safety will be the questions.

1. Is M. Jones as good as he looked in the Grey Cup and does he move to strong side CB?
2. Does B. Alexander move to DHB or does Josh Johnson take that role?
3. Conversely is there a chance J. Johnson and Alexander flip those choices.
4. Are they planning for Alexander to remain at safety?
5. Is it possible Antiqua starts at safety?

I have no doubt we have enough veteran talent to put a good secondary together. Who lines up where could be a multitude of variations.

Rookies: Some of these rookies sound impressive. More will be added before the main TC. Who's to say we don't find the next Sayles or Alexander?

Since our most probable position to identify is CB so maybe we find the next Tre Roberson or Winston Rose?

Let the mini camps begin and the search for the next talent begin. 

Can't wait.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 04:56:39 PM »

We have several veteran DB's that could potentially play several positions. Of those who ends up lining up at either CB, 1 inside DHB ( replacing Sayles ) or at safety will be the questions.

1. Is M. Jones as good as he looked in the Grey Cup and does he move to strong side CB?
2. Does B. Alexander move to DHB or does Josh Johnson take that role?
3. Conversely is there a chance J. Johnson and Alexander flip those choices.
4. Are they planning for Alexander to remain at safety?
5. Is it possible Antiqua starts at safety?

I have no doubt we have enough veteran talent to put a good secondary together. Who lines up where could be a multitude of variations.

Rookies: Some of these rookies sound impressive. More will be added before the main TC. Who's to say we don't find the next Sayles or Alexander?

Since our most probable position to identify is CB so maybe we find the next Tre Roberson or Winston Rose?

Let the mini camps begin and the search for the next talent begin. 

Can't wait.

1.   Maston is the SAM, and I get the feeling Nick Taylor would be next man up in case of injury.  Jones will get every chance to lock down field corner, but he will have to compete for it.

2, 3, and 4.   I take Walters at his word, that Alexander is going to be our safety.  Not sure where Josh Johnson fits in, I am sure they will try him in a few spots, but my guess is he ends up at boundary corner.  I think it will be a dogfight for DHB, and versatility will be an advantage for any of the rookies.

5.  No way Antiqua starts at safety.  They may drop him back there for some sets to confuse the read or disguise a safety blitz, or even as an in-game replacement.  I think he mainly going to be playing in the Roh/Kabongo role, but with more flexibility to be used in coverage occasionally. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 05:48:28 PM »

Alexander might be our best DB. IMO keeping him at safety is a waste of his talent. He can certainly play well there but does it make sense? I'd much prefer to see him moved to DHB if we can resolve the who plays where at CB.

In theory a rookie could start at safety even while on a CFL learning curve. All the talk last year was safety is the easiest place to fill.

Like I said then WHY put Alexander there?  MOS says a lot of things but TC can change many things as we see what we have in the rookies etc.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 06:02:49 PM »

Alexander might be our best DB. IMO keeping him at safety is a waste of his talent. He can certainly play well there but does it make sense? I'd much prefer to see him moved to DHB if we can resolve the who plays where at CB.

In theory a rookie could start at safety even while on a CFL learning curve. All the talk last year was safety is the easiest place to fill.

Like I said then WHY put Alexander there?  MOS says a lot of things but TC can change many things as we see what we have in the rookies etc.

I don't know who said safety was the easiest position to fill, if that was the talk, then they were talking nonsense.  It's true that the safety has to be a bit more cerebral and can be a tad slower than a DHB, but a quality safety shows up in results.  the position doesn't get as much respect because teams often hide a Canadian starter there, much like we did with Hecht.

In the absence of a blue chip National like Loffler, you want an experienced and capable veteran at the safety spot.  They make key decisions about where to commit.  I think you are undervaluing the safety position. 

While finding a capable DHB is no picnic, converting a high quality NCAA or NFL prospect into a CB is pretty quick. Sayles picked up DHB fairly quickly though.  So they will cycle a lot of guys through. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 06:09:07 PM »

I don't know who said safety was the easiest position to fill, if that was the talk, then they were talking nonsense.  It's true that the safety has to be a bit more cerebral and can be a tad slower than a DHB, but a quality safety shows up in results.  the position doesn't get as much respect because teams often hide a Canadian starter there, much like we did with Hecht.

In the absence of a blue chip National like Loffler, you want an experienced and capable veteran at the safety spot.  They make key decisions about where to commit.  I think you are undervaluing the safety position. 

While finding a capable DHB is no picnic, converting a high quality NCAA or NFL prospect into a CB is pretty quick. Sayles picked up DHB fairly quickly though.  So they will cycle a lot of guys through. 

Half the posters here said safety is the easiest position to play in the secondary and it's valid. It's the least likely to see man to man coverage situations.

Yes a quality safety can make a difference but a top CB and DHB are much more difficult to find.

I think you've forgotten how many rookie CB's have started and played poorly and been released by the Bombers. Even a few more than 1 year in the CFL.

Last year we had Humes, Rios and Fenner among others fail at both CB and DHB.

Alexander and Sayles both struggled in their 1st season starting at DHB. Learning curve is tough adapting to CFL motion and wider field.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »

Half the posters here said safety is the easiest position to play in the secondary and it's valid. It's the least likely to see man to man coverage situations.

Yes a quality safety can make a difference but a top CB and DHB are much more difficult to find.

I think you've forgotten how many rookie CB's have started and played poorly and been released by the Bombers. Even a few more than 1 year in the CFL.

Last year we had Humes, Rios and Fenner among others fail at both CB and DHB.

Alexander and Sayles both struggled in their 1st season starting at DHB. Learning curve is tough adapting to CFL motion and wider field.

First off, the fact that a majority of posters on this or any other CFL forum are in agreement on something does not increase the likelihood of that something being true, not one iota. 

The likelihood of a safety having to play man is entirely dependent on the defensive scheme and the coverage call for that play.  Yes, you can tailor the safety position to play less man if you are trying to hide a guy, but if you have a safety who can cover in man, then you have a more dynamic secondary.

We go through a ton of DBs every year.  Part of that is because we start 6 of them (including the SAM) and frequently have one as DI as well.  Its the single largest position group on the team.  Yes, you have to go through a lot of prospects to find the ones that stick, but that's par for the course.  And they try most of these guys out at multiple positions. 

DHB is tougher to play than corner, no doubt about it.  But both Sayles and Alexander were very good their first year, but for Alexander the entire secondary suffered from moving guys around to cover injuries in his rookie year. 

Anyway, you are certainly entitled for your preference to have Alexander play a different position.  I just think that view runs counter to the conclusions that Walters has reached.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 06:48:15 PM »

First off, the fact that a majority of posters on this or any other CFL forum are in agreement on something does not increase the likelihood of that something being true, not one iota. 

The likelihood of a safety having to play man is entirely dependent on the defensive scheme and the coverage call for that play.  Yes, you can tailor the safety position to play less man if you are trying to hide a guy, but if you have a safety who can cover in man, then you have a more dynamic secondary.

We go through a ton of DBs every year.  Part of that is because we start 6 of them (including the SAM) and frequently have one as DI as well.  Its the single largest position group on the team.  Yes, you have to go through a lot of prospects to find the ones that stick, but that's par for the course.  And they try most of these guys out at multiple positions. 

DHB is tougher to play than corner, no doubt about it.  But both Sayles and Alexander were very good their first year, but for Alexander the entire secondary suffered from moving guys around to cover injuries in his rookie year. 

Anyway, you are certainly entitled for your preference to have Alexander play a different position.  I just think that view runs counter to the conclusions that Walters has reached.

The best player in the secondary is never going to be the safety. It has nothing to do with what posters are specifically saying. Keeping in mind there are posters here that have actually played in the CFL.

It has to do more ( for my point ) with watching the CFL for over 60 years. I'd suggest that is also the view of the many long term CFL viewers etc.

It's why teams accept the safety as the least area of concern in the secondary and why marginal starters like Hecht start there backed up up D. Jones in 2019. Yes it's where they try to hide a Canadian in the ratio. You don't do that if it's where it will cause you the most harm.

Eliminate the ratio and I'd suggest every team would be starting an import given a choice.

I always have to take what Walters says with a grain of salt.

As I said IMO Alexander might be our best DB at the moment. That could change during TC. But if he turns out to be our best DB then safety is not where he should be playing.

Our secondary developed to be very good in the last 1/3 of the season. The Canadian rotation on the DL improvement allowed us to deploy Alexander to replace the weakest link at that point in time ( Hecht ).

It could be debated that earlier in the year Fenner at CB was the most harmful in the secondary. In 2018 it was K. Fogg at CB.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:54:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: