Main Menu

XFL 2020 season

Started by Blue In BC, January 27, 2020, 06:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 13, 2020, 02:51:12 PM
Having to cancel 2020 games won't make it easy to attract fans back in 2021. I smell burnt toast in the air.

It's not good for a brand still trying to establish itself in a pretty inundated sports market. And it's not like the XFL was attracting massive crowds, either. This could be a huge blow to a league still in its infancy.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 13, 2020, 03:08:20 PM
It's not good for a brand still trying to establish itself in a pretty inundated sports market. And it's not like the XFL was attracting massive crowds, either. This could be a huge blow to a league still in its infancy.

The other issues were the possibility of needing to move some teams to a new city in 2021. Losing players to the NFL etc doesn't help with continuity of any given roster. That was going to happen even without the 2020 cancellation of the season.

Fans want to see a core of stars on their team along with some roster stability. Many XFL players were older multi season NFL players. It's quite likely roster turnover in 2021 would be significant as " newer " ex NFL players were attracted to the XFL.

I guess we'll see if they return in 2021 and what changes happen. I won't hold my breath.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

XFL got the short end of the stick, and that's really too bad.  As for 2021, I seem to recall the AAF bigwigs swearing they already had enough money to complete their first full season no matter what.  Reality was clearly in disagreement.  Of course bigwigs will "talk their book".  If they show weakness they are guaranteed to fail.

Now the big bummer is I have no XFL to watch and probably no CFL to watch in a few months (and no F1, argh!!)... Glad I have 7 years of Bomber games on the PVR to tide me over.  I'm not sure I'll ever get tired of watching the '19 season.
Never go full Rider!

Go Big Blue

Depending on how long the football season is delayed/terminated there may be some good XFL coaches with CFL experience available for the vacant Blue Bomber Linebacker/Defensive Line coach position:

OC Mike Riley, HC Marc Trestman, HC June Jones, DC Jerry Glanville, LB Mike Archer, DL Robert Lyles.
The "Selkirk Milkman" Cec Luning's "Moo Cow" Cream Play of the 107th Grey Cup - #3 Thiadric Hansen: One hit takes out two Tiger Cats.