Blue Bombers Forum
September 28, 2021, 03:06:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flanders gets a one year deal in Ottawa  (Read 2265 times)
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« on: January 01, 2020, 09:47:13 PM »

Anyone know their depth at RB?

I would love to see him as a starter.  What do other expect out of him?  Anyone know what he did last year?

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 09:56:54 PM »

Redblacks don't really have an established RB. Crockett started 7 games and averaged 5.4 yards per carry. He's a year younger and a bit bigger than Flanders. Nothing but rookies behind Crockett.

Flanders has been around the CFL since 2015 but hasn't see much action since 2017. If he can translate his previous experience and do well in TC he might be their leading candidate going into TC.

The catch 22 is that he'll probably be unwilling to take a PR role. So it's make the AR or say goodbye.

Good luck to him. He had some talent.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue newt

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 11:26:18 PM »

Always liked Flanders.  Hope he does well with the RedBlacks.

As for him not accepting a PR role, I would disagree.  He was on our PR for ages.  Don't remember hearing anything about him being upset about it.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 11:42:04 PM »

Redblacks don't really have an established RB. Crockett started 7 games and averaged 5.4 yards per carry. He's a year younger and a bit bigger than Flanders. Nothing but rookies behind Crockett.

Mossis Madu and Stefan Logan were on the RB's roster at seasons end, don't know their status for 2020.  Glad to see Flanders get another chance, LaPo might have been able to steal Augustine away with a few promises but probably didn't want the ratio headache of backing up a Natl. RB again when Import RB's are a dime/dozen and desperate for work.
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 02:36:21 PM »

Logan is 38 and was not used as a RB much. He may become an SMS casualty. Madu is 32 and been and on and off player on their AR. He's a potential free agent.  IMO neither are the future.

Flanders may have to beat out some rookie but I think he has a chance in Ottawa.

It's likely there will be some older veterans that are not part of Lapo's plan as they re-adjust their SMS across their roster.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:38:55 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 02:59:39 PM »

the price that Flanders would cost vs. his potential production would make him a pretty good fit

he will have to come to camp in shape and hungry as there will be a number of young guns wanted a spot and a few that will take PR spot

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »

Not sure how much of this might be true, but Lapo seemed to like Flanders.. but MOS sets the roster.  I'm sure Lapo had a lot to do with Flanders ending up in OTT, at worst he will be good competition in camp.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 05:46:53 PM »

Not sure how much of this might be true, but Lapo seemed to like Flanders.. but MOS sets the roster.  I'm sure Lapo had a lot to do with Flanders ending up in OTT, at worst he will be good competition in camp.

Ratio had as much to do with that as MOS or Lapo specifically.  We all saw how and why that was so during his time here. Flanders wasn't the 1st good player not to stay on the AR due to ratio issues.

In 2019 it was Roh as an example. He was probably more productive / experienced than Kongbo but ratio and upside dictated.

I agree that the Lapo connection in Ottawas gives him a very good opportunity. That said you never know when the next very good import rookie on an ELC shows up for TC.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 06:10:48 PM »

Redblacks show 100+ players on their roster. Didn't know you could have that many even during the off season. Regardless. They have 33 players as potential free agents.

Who Lapo wants to keep and which Redblacks want to test free agency will be interesting to watch.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lapo look towards Bomber free agents and vice versa.

Couture could be headed that way and possibly a few of our back up players.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 07:36:06 PM »

What the Rblacks need the most is a QB and a capable backup.  I think Arbuckle will land there or Collaros. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »

What the Rblacks need the most is a QB and a capable backup.  I think Arbuckle will land there or Collaros. 

Exactly. Lapo might make a bid for Nichols if he reaches free agency. Those 3 QB's will be the top 3 in free agency IMO.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
BigBomberFan

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 10:20:39 PM »

Always liked Flanders when he was here; as others have mentioned, he was a victim of being on the wrong end of the ratio numbers, and also having the misfortune of being behind Andrew Harris, who neither gets injured nor has got worse with age. I wish him all the best in Ottawa and if he gets a legitimate starter job, could be a major star in this league.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 11:50:35 PM »

Maybe the Crockett and Tubbs show! Cheesy Miami Vice comes to Ottawa! Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: