Blue Bombers Forum
September 27, 2021, 02:40:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ownership of the Alouettes to be Announced  (Read 4275 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »

You are not a business man then?  Usually business people do not let their hearts interfere with their pocket books, but in this case I can not see Montreal making money for a while.  TO would have been a great write off.

If I had the means to own a CFL team, it would have nothing to do with making money. No one is getting rich owning a franchise in the CFL. It is a toy for the rich, and if it were my toy, I would certainly use it to take a jab at the Riders. In fact, it would make me a smart businessman then, since, if I owned the Bombers, that would probably net me extra ticket sales.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
the paw

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 09:32:46 PM »

Alternatively, the legit prospects he was negotiating with never made it into the media while people who weren't in the running had media leaks all over the place.

I don't know. But random twitter gossip isn't the best source.

Okay, let me provide the disclaimer. I should have started my post with "If true...".  Of course I have no idea what actually happened, as none of us do for  99% of the events we discuss. 

But, IF they really didn't show interest until it occurred to them during the Grey Cup, that is a bad, bad sign. 

I have no idea how rich steel executives get, but Ambrosie spurned a number of significantly wealthy people while he played footsie with the Lenkov brothers. And a number of those people had businesses that had the potential to align with the Alouettes brand a lot more easily than steel girders.

But what do I know, I'm just a just a small city stubble jumper with an opinion.... Grin

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 10:59:43 PM »

If I had the means to own a CFL team, it would have nothing to do with making money. No one is getting rich owning a franchise in the CFL. It is a toy for the rich, and if it were my toy, I would certainly use it to take a jab at the Riders. In fact, it would make me a smart businessman then, since, if I owned the Bombers, that would probably net me extra ticket sales.

I can already see the merch team rolling out the "Argos Suck" tshirts for thier first meeting... and as much as it is bulletin board material, not much the Argos can do about it Wink

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
dd

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 02:17:21 AM »

Just saw the presser, classless move by the new co owner to trash another franchise publically and shame on bozo ambrosie for laughing at it. What a boob. Rather than defend the integrity of the league, they guy laughs at it and yet we wonder why this league isn?t taken seriously, especially in a big market like toronto where they have to compete with the NBA champs, the Leafs, the Toronto soccer club and the jays for fans.  The guys an absolute garbage commissioner and embarrassment to the league. They can?t bring in a new commish soon enough for me
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 02:19:42 AM »

Just saw the presser, classless move by the new co owner to trash another franchise publically and shame on bozo ambrosie for laughing at it. What a boob. Rather than defend the integrity of the league, they guy laughs at it and yet we wonder why this league isn?t taken seriously, especially in a big market like toronto where they have to compete with the NBA champs, the Leafs, the Toronto soccer club and the jays for fans.  The guys an absolute garbage commissioner and embarrassment to the league. They can?t bring in a new commish soon enough for me

Wow that escalated quick...nothing wrong with some good natured sports ribbing.  It wasn't demeaning or directed at any individual. 

Ambrosie will go down as one of the better commissioners of the CFL. 
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 06:37:27 AM »

Yep.. Ambrosie has my vote as a good commissioner.  Orridge or Crumb will go down as one of the worst.. 

The league was on it's way up with Wright and Cohen..  it took a major step down with Orridge and is still recovering from it.

Would be great to get local ownership for the Als, but it was clear that the CFL could not get a good deal with local ownership groups.

I believe that the Als can turn a profit just like any other CFL team if it is run properly.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:39:08 AM by BLUEBOMBER » Logged
GCn19

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »

Okay, let me provide the disclaimer. I should have started my post with "If true...".  Of course I have no idea what actually happened, as none of us do for  99% of the events we discuss. 

But, IF they really didn't show interest until it occurred to them during the Grey Cup, that is a bad, bad sign. 

I have no idea how rich steel executives get, but Ambrosie spurned a number of significantly wealthy people while he played footsie with the Lenkov brothers. And a number of those people had businesses that had the potential to align with the Alouettes brand a lot more easily than steel girders.

But what do I know, I'm just a just a small city stubble jumper with an opinion.... Grin

It's possible the other potential owners would not guarantee a financial commitment to take what will probably be some whopping losses for the next few years at least.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 01:17:39 PM »

It's possible the other potential owners would not guarantee a financial commitment to take what will probably be some whopping losses for the next few years at least.

According to TSN, that's exactly what happened. There was local interest to owning the Als but all parties "just needed to wait on investors".

Money talks, and when the league owns the team and is absorbing losses and a group comes forward and says we want to take them off your hands, who should I make the cheque out to, you're **** right Ambrosie is going to laugh at a lame joke by the guy who cut said cheque.

Good on him for getting a deal done.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
bluebeard

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »

No business man wants to lose money consistently, no matter how much he has.  The Wettenhall family is one that owned portions of NFL teams and the Als became untenable for them.  The baseball Expos are a great example of a Montreal franchise that monied people would not keep afloat.  Good for Ambrosie for getting this done.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:08:32 PM by bluebeard » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 02:40:57 PM »

If he had said that the Argos are "an historically poorly run organization that can't make money in the leagues biggest market because their fan base sucks" , then sure, there is an issue.  But to state a preference over which team he is going to pay for the priviledge of losing money on, I don't have an issue with that. 

If anything, it will be great for establishing a rivalry that didn't previously exist between teams in the leagues two biggest markets.  Really, could you script it better?  I really hope they play this up...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 04:45:02 PM »

Montreal made some big improvements last year. With a year under Khari belt, and ownership in place, I am expect this team to be even better this year.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 06:25:25 PM »

Montreal made some big improvements last year. With a year under Khari belt, and ownership in place, I am expect this team to be even better this year.

I'm not sure about that, the Als did quite well last year but I don't see a logical reason they will improve their record dramatically this year, the same goes for the Riders.  I predict drop offs for both teams.
dd

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 02:00:27 AM »

I agree. Montreal surprised a few teams last year as teams took them lightly, that won?t happen this year.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: