Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 02:13:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 69678 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #330 on: February 05, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
1h
Esks sign FB James Tuck to one-year extension: The Edmonton Eskimos have signed national fullback James Tuck to a contract extension, keeping him in Green and Gold through the 2020 season. https://cfl.ca/2020/02/05/esks-sign-fb-james-tuck-one-year-extension/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter via @CFL
 #CFL

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
kkc60

« Reply #331 on: February 05, 2020, 04:12:45 PM »

Can't possibly be any worse. lol
Mincy, Jeff Richard's, Tommie Campbell and Shaq Richardson plus James Sample and Stanley Jean-Baptiste. Very good on paper
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #332 on: February 05, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »

Pinball will assemble the best team he can...Argos will be competitive this year.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #333 on: February 05, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »

When I read the CFLPA memo on this, it seemed to suggest that the 3 Designated Americans would be allowed to substitute for an injured Canadian starter.  While it wasn't detailed on the mechanics of how this would happen, it is consistent with what the GMs have been whining about in terms of not having enough good Canadians to replace injured starters.  That sentiment was reported several times in the run up to the final CBA.

I think it will happen through a "chain substitution", but this is speculative on my part.  So, to make up an example:  If our d-line starter is Jake Thomas and one of our designated Americans is Jeffcoat, and or American DI is McAlister.   Jake gets injured, and we have Jeffcoat "sub in" for him as a starter under this replacement provision.   McAlister can then come onto the field as a "sub" for Jeffcoat.  Alternatively, Craig Roh, as a 3 year vet, could be the sub instead of McAlister. 

Not 100% sure on this, but its the only way I can make sense of it. 

One downside of this rule is it decreases the opportunities for fringe Natl. starters such as Jesse Briggs and Petermann to get into games, injury replacements will now be filled by Import players whenever possible.
Sec227

« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2020, 04:54:59 PM »

Pinball will assemble the best team he can...Argos will be competitive this year.
Agreed. I think Ottawa still has a few more years till they are back in the hunt. And the Als are a crap shoot to see what kind of team they are this year.
GCn19

« Reply #335 on: February 05, 2020, 05:16:22 PM »

One downside of this rule is it decreases the opportunities for fringe Natl. starters such as Jesse Briggs and Petermann to get into games, injury replacements will now be filled by Import players whenever possible.

For sure. The new rule only helps train wrecks like Saskatchewan who have no NAT depth. This rule is stupid and makes very little sense. It penalizes the teams that draft and develop their NAT content well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:18:25 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #336 on: February 05, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »

David William Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor
Hearing the @TorontoArgos
 and QB @MattNichols16
 are closing-in on a deal. Not done but very well could be within the next 24 hours.#CFL #Argos

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
booch

« Reply #337 on: February 05, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »

For sure. The new rule only helps train wrecks like Saskatchewan who have no NAT depth. This rule is stupid and makes very little sense. It penalizes the teams that draft and develop their NAT content well.

Yes and no...you can choose to use one of the new designated Nationals in their spot, but you will still need a player to replace that guy if he leaves his position as generally these guys who meet the tenure time in the CFL generally are all going to be your starters anyway

An are though where I could see it benefiting is o-line where you could most likely roster an import back-up as he can cover both the import spot if an injury, or in our case Bryant or Hardrick could become a Canadian if one of the nationals gets hurt and the back up import comes in
blue_or_die

« Reply #338 on: February 05, 2020, 07:29:04 PM »

Maybe I'm still not getting it. You still have to have 7 Nats on the field minimum, no? If so, it's status quo.

So if a starting Nat MLB goes down, you can fill that with a vet import MLB but another Canadian will have to displace an american elsewhere in order to get at least 7 on the field.

...Right? I'm not trying to challenge, I'm genuinely curious if I'm understanding correctly.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #339 on: February 05, 2020, 07:33:23 PM »

Maybe I'm still not getting it. You still have to have 7 Nats on the field minimum, no? If so, it's status quo.

So if a starting Nat MLB goes down, you can fill that with a vet import MLB but another Canadian will have to displace an american elsewhere in order to get at least 7 on the field.

...Right? I'm not trying to challenge, I'm genuinely curious if I'm understanding correctly.

No Technically you don't have to replace the designated import National with a Canadian player...but...as roster work here you most likely are moving a starting Import into that national spot, but with limited numbers with the roster you may not have an extra import on the roster to fill his void...especially if he moves position on field..Teams with good depth will still have the advantage tho...
blue_or_die

« Reply #340 on: February 05, 2020, 07:41:17 PM »

No Technically you don't have to replace the designated import National with a Canadian player...but...as roster work here you most likely are moving a starting Import into that national spot, but with limited numbers with the roster you may not have an extra import on the roster to fill his void...especially if he moves position on field..Teams with good depth will still have the advantage tho...

But isn't it such that no matter what, in the end you still have a minimum of 7 Canadians on the field?

I suppose the challenge is then to either have enough designated vets to fill the 3 roster spots + account for possible injury, have enough extra Nats + account for injury, or some combination of these (most likely the scenario, with vets becoming a commodity)

So it's injury situation that is the issue from a planning perspective, as there is a loss in flexibility. If anything, it sounds like fringe Canadians might get more of a shot. If, for example, Lawler went down, we wouldn't have any backup american receivers who meet the designated vet criteria, and so, say, Petermann gets time on the field where he might not if Woli and Demski stay healthy.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:46:14 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #341 on: February 05, 2020, 07:46:05 PM »

Bombers re-sign JFG and American DB Chris Lyles.
blue_or_die

« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2020, 07:46:44 PM »

John ****ing Goodman?!?!?

NICE!

the paw

« Reply #343 on: February 05, 2020, 08:40:21 PM »

Feoli Gudino?  Didnt see that one coming. 

I guess Peterman is ready to start and they need depth for the new Canadian Air Force.

grab grass 'n growl
blue newt

« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »

Feoli Gudino?  Didnt see that one coming. 

I guess Peterman is ready to start and they need depth for the new Canadian Air Force.

Yeah, I see it as a depth signing as well.  Will be nice to see him back in blue and gold.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: