Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 03:14:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 69748 times)
GCn19

« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2020, 03:34:03 PM »

Agreed, I think he lands up in Ottawa as a mentor-back up with lapo.

That's quite possible, however, Winnipeg gives him the better chance to play. Either way he will have to sign a contract that only pays him more than backup salary if he starts. Winnipeg provides him the highest % chance to earn starts imo.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2020, 03:43:57 PM »

I don't understand how the new rules requiring 3 designated vets or 3 extra Canadians affects the Solly situation. It enhances his value in the league, for sure, but he doesn't replace a Canadian, he just becomes an essential part of the roster with his veteran status. The alternative is the team in question finds an *extra* starting-quality Canadian.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GCn19

« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2020, 03:50:58 PM »

I don't understand how the new rules requiring 3 designated vets or 3 extra Canadians affects the Solly situation. It enhances his value in the league, for sure, but he doesn't replace a Canadian, he just becomes an essential part of the roster with his veteran status. The alternative is the team in question finds an *extra* starting-quality Canadian.

You must start 10 NATs, 3 of them may come in the form of veteran IMP players. If you do not have any vet IMP players than you must start 10 NATs. What do you think will be cheaper and easier, signing Solly or finding a comparatively talented NAT for cheaper. I guarantee that high level vets will be in demand and lower level vets as backups will be too because fielding 8,9,10 capable NAT starters is going to be almost impossible for any team, and REALLY HARD for a team as devoid of NAT talent as the Riders.

Last year a team could say screw it, we'll recruit a young guy, now they have to give a lot of pause about throwing away a vet that still has some mileage on his tires. Especially when the Riders have vets like Roosevelt who are in even greater decline than Solly.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:57:34 PM by GCn19 » Logged

booch

« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2020, 05:02:22 PM »

Solly's numbers were top notch last year and 200k is not the payday it used to be in the CFL. At any rate whether he hits the 200k mark or not, he is due a big raise from the 140k he earned last year. If that is 180-190 that's still a big jump especially after Cam Judge just about doubled his salary as well. That's 120-150k in SMS flex the Riders lose just to retain two LBers.

Not to mention they have to pay an actual starting QB salary as well this year...something they escaped from last year....they won't have a lot of spare SMS to toss around for any high ticketed free agents when I am sure there are still a few of their own they wanna re-up...Roosevelt..Evans...Soli...Gainey..Blake..Bladek..Coleman...a punter..and to re-up them all is gonna cost them, or replace with free agents from elsewhere is gonna cost them..possibly more, and thats not to mention they have Johnson who will prob take a shave from his 250k but not a huge one..
blue_or_die

« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2020, 06:03:27 PM »

You must start 10 NATs, 3 of them may come in the form of veteran IMP players. If you do not have any vet IMP players than you must start 10 NATs. What do you think will be cheaper and easier, signing Solly or finding a comparatively talented NAT for cheaper. I guarantee that high level vets will be in demand and lower level vets as backups will be too because fielding 8,9,10 capable NAT starters is going to be almost impossible for any team, and REALLY HARD for a team as devoid of NAT talent as the Riders.

Last year a team could say screw it, we'll recruit a young guy, now they have to give a lot of pause about throwing away a vet that still has some mileage on his tires. Especially when the Riders have vets like Roosevelt who are in even greater decline than Solly.

Yes I understand and agree; the way the conversation was going, I thought 3rd&1.5 was trying to imply that it would be a good idea to use Solly as a backup to a Canadian (which is possible under the new designated vet rule), but am confused by that because if anything, you would think Solly would be looking for a starting role at more money than last year, not accept a lesser role and the accompanying lower salary. I just wasn't sure what 3rd&1.5 was getting at. Throw in the fact that he's a designated vet and you have a recipe for a high price tag for Solly.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:10:31 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

GCn19

« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2020, 06:34:51 PM »

Yes I understand and agree; the way the conversation was going, I thought 3rd&1.5 was trying to imply that it would be a good idea to use Solly as a backup to a Canadian (which is possible under the new designated vet rule), but am confused by that because if anything, you would think Solly would be looking for a starting role at more money than last year, not accept a lesser role and the accompanying lower salary. I just wasn't sure what 3rd&1.5 was getting at. Throw in the fact that he's a designated vet and you have a recipe for a high price tag for Solly.

No way Solly backs up anyone. I THINK what he was saying was use him as a vet NAT and have Hurl as a backup if he goes down. Could be wrong though.

GCn19

« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2020, 06:38:54 PM »

Not to mention they have to pay an actual starting QB salary as well this year...something they escaped from last year....they won't have a lot of spare SMS to toss around for any high ticketed free agents when I am sure there are still a few of their own they wanna re-up...Roosevelt..Evans...Soli...Gainey..Blake..Bladek..Coleman...a punter..and to re-up them all is gonna cost them, or replace with free agents from elsewhere is gonna cost them..possibly more, and thats not to mention they have Johnson who will prob take a shave from his 250k but not a huge one..

The problem with asking guys to take a shave is that you have a couple of teams in the East that are so horrid defensively that they may toss some cash around to proven guys like Micah, Solly, or even Jefferson just to get back to respectability on defence. SSK may ask guys to take a shave but realistically who in their right mind is taking a shave to stay in Regina. I actually don't mean that facetiously, although I don't mind if it's taken that way. Regina is not a hot spot for FA's no matter how much their deluded fans claim they are. It takes cash for them to sign there.

theaardvark

« Reply #307 on: February 04, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »

How many teams ever had a roster that didn't have at least 3 starting Int's that would qualify as "Nats*" in the new system?  Solly has no additional value in that... nor does anyone else...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #308 on: February 04, 2020, 06:48:17 PM »

How many teams ever had a roster that didn't have at least 3 starting Int's that would qualify as "Nats*" in the new system?  Solly has no additional value in that... nor does anyone else...

If the league is flush with americans that have been in the league for 3-4+ years, sure it makes that feature less valuable. But it is a feature none the less. My point is, it's not just that Elimimian is a vet by this definition, it's that he's also an extremely good player at a critical position. All those factors will sum to give a high asking price.

Come to think of it, good question- what is the rarity of (starting-quality) players in the CFL that meet the designated vet qualification?

BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #309 on: February 04, 2020, 06:50:48 PM »

Guess Nichols will wait until it out until a CFL team loses their starter and is desperate for a QB. Eventually this day will come.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #310 on: February 04, 2020, 06:57:48 PM »

If the league is flush with americans that have been in the league for 3-4+ years, sure it makes that feature less valuable. But it is a feature none the less. My point is, it's not just that Elimimian is a vet by this definition, it's that he's also an extremely good player at a critical position. All those factors will sum to give a high asking price.

Come to think of it, good question- what is the rarity of (starting-quality) players in the CFL that meet the designated vet qualification?

Well if you look at the roster from the Grey Cup game. These players would have qualified:
Nick Taylor
Adam Bighill
Willie Jefferson
Darvin Adams
Stanley Bryant
Jermarcus Hardrick

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #311 on: February 04, 2020, 08:49:06 PM »

Nichols, Argonauts reportedly working on a contract: https://www.cfl.ca/2020/02/04/report-argos-getting-closer-securing-deal-nichols/

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
blueraid

« Reply #312 on: February 04, 2020, 08:53:13 PM »

So is Matt's contract for back-up money because Bethel -Thompson has come out with a statement today saying he considers himself to be the starter...Of course that might only be till Nichols is a 100 percent???Hard to figure this one
Ridermania

« Reply #313 on: February 04, 2020, 08:58:59 PM »

David William Naylor

@TSNDaveNaylor
Hearing the @TorontoArgos and QB @MattNichols16 are closing-in on a deal. Not done but very well could be within the next 24 hours.#CFL #Argos
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #314 on: February 04, 2020, 09:14:02 PM »

So is Matt's contract for back-up money because Bethel -Thompson has come out with a statement today saying he considers himself to be the starter...Of course that might only be till Nichols is a 100 percent???Hard to figure this one

Bethel-Thompson can say whatever he wants. It means absolutely nothing right now.

In any event, it'll be good for the Argos to have a proven QB tandem if Nichols does sign there, regardless of who's the starter a few months from now.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: