Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 03:55:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 69807 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #285 on: February 03, 2020, 11:42:24 PM »

Naylor reports Argos are going to sign MBT tomorrow. Could this leave Nichols out in the cold? Hmmm. Could be interesting for old Matty boy.

I guess it depends on how much they sign MBT for, how Matt's interview went, where he is in his rehab... can they split starters salary between 2 guys? 

I'm guessing they want MBT to start... he did well enough last year,..

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #286 on: February 03, 2020, 11:43:28 PM »

Well if I were Matt I would me a tad concerned about my salary for next season.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Nic16

« Reply #287 on: February 04, 2020, 03:10:31 AM »

Solly played at a discount last year but will definitely be looking for MUCH more this year. Just as Bighill played at a discount for us, that had more to do with timing than anything else. Solly had the misfortune of becoming a FA once all the teams blew their nut already. He took a reduced salary because that was all teams could afford. Gainey will not take a discount, and we all know that Johnson was 250k last year. He might take a shave but it won't be a big one.

O?Day has his work cut out for him.

Fajardo, Judge, Marshall, Evans & Solly played on the cheap in 2019, but either got or will get a nice bump in salary in 2020.

Micah will likely have to accept a pay cut, but he may go elsewhere to do it.

Roosevelt & Gainey will probably return, but will demand a loyalty raise.

Buying a hometown Grey Cup win is going to be far more costly this time around.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #288 on: February 04, 2020, 03:34:15 AM »

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
1h
Report: Santos-Knox signs one-year extension with Esks: Linebacker Jovan Santos-Knox has agreed to a one-year contract extension with the Edmonton Eskimos, according to TSN's Farhan Lalji. https://cfl.ca/2020/02/03/fa20-rumour-mill-1/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#Santos via @CFL
 #CFL

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #289 on: February 04, 2020, 06:15:38 AM »

Solly was coming off a 4 game injury season last year, so he signed a dsiscount deal and put up some very good numbers.  He is due for a raise that SSK won't be able to pay, with Judge needing to move to MLB.    I'd be really interested in reuniting Team 100 (number 96 is available Wink  if it weren't for Wilson...

Solly had a great '19.  I'd put a ton of the blame on Solly for our lacklustre run game against SSK all year.  Judge is fine, but SSK will find their run defense goes to pot without Solly.  It's dumb to not re-sign him.

Yes, Wilson makes signing Solly pointless.  I'd take affordable and monster Wilson over Solly's big $$ tag.  Solly can't chase down Banks from behind... Wilson had an astounding sophmore year and I don't miss JSK at all.  Our LB corps is one of the best in the CFL, especially when Biggie is 100% again.

Naylor reports Argos are going to sign MBT tomorrow. Could this leave Nichols out in the cold? Hmmm. Could be interesting for old Matty boy.

It's the smart move, I knew they'd do it.  MBT was winning games (or getting close) with that horrible OL and RB situation.  Imagine what he can do if they get a better team?  Not sure they plan on him being the (only) #1.  Let's see what the money is... bet it's cheap!!

Nichols: it does make it more interesting and I still think we could still see Matty Ice back here as incentive-heavy backup to Zach.  If the choice is between backing up MBT in crap OL (et al) TOR or backing up (guaranteed injury) Zach in WPG, why not sign here?  No one hates Nichols, and if Zach goes down we all want to see our team still succeed.  Hell, he'd have a good chance of playing in the post-season and possible GC!  Imagine that for a storyline!!  Matty Ice winning WPG a GC filling in for injured Zach.  Smiley

Never go full Rider!
Ridermania

« Reply #290 on: February 04, 2020, 10:50:55 AM »

I can see Nichols being forced to sign for back-up pay plus incentives, but it wouldn't be in Winnipeg.

Bombers told him they are going with Zach and can't see him coming back based on pride.

Winnipeg did not want him so he will move along to another CFL team.
GCn19

« Reply #291 on: February 04, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »

I can see Nichols being forced to sign for back-up pay plus incentives, but it wouldn't be in Winnipeg.

Bombers told him they are going with Zach and can't see him coming back based on pride.

Actually KW says that conversations went well with Matty and that Matty is looking for a starting gig but that the door to him being a Bomber was not closed. This might be the best landing spot for any backup QB on an incentive laden contract.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #292 on: February 04, 2020, 12:04:53 PM »

Can't find the tweet but it's been reported Solly and the Riders are miles apart in negotiations and Solly is now shopping elsewhere for a better deal.

I can see that happening. He proved his health last year and won't play for peanuts again. I can see many teams offering him the 200k he deserves as an elite MLBer.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #293 on: February 04, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »

I can see that happening. He proved his health last year and won't play for peanuts again. I can see many teams offering him the 200k he deserves as an elite MLBer.

I disagree, Solly had his day in the sun as a top earner but is now on the downside of his career moving steadily towards journeyman status and his contract should reflect that.  I'd give Bighill the same spiel the next time his contract comes up for renewal.  "Yer growing old, go stand over in that corner beside John Bowman."
3rdand1.5

« Reply #294 on: February 04, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »

I disagree, Solly had his day in the sun as a top earner but is now on the downside of his career moving steadily towards journeyman status and his contract should reflect that.  I'd give Bighill the same spiel the next time his contract comes up for renewal.  "Yer growing old, go stand over in that corner beside John Bowman."

One question, and I am not sure if even team managers have a full idea but....

Could the Riders not use Solly as a "fake Canadian" with the new rules and start him, or start "a CDN like Hurl as an example" and rotate he with Solly? If that is the case with this new ratio tweek he could be worth that to the Riders, would he not be. They could go with a cheaper CDN MLB as the required CDN, and rotate he and Solly with Solly being able to take a few breathers in the game and help preserve his beating, coming off an injury and not being younger could this not be almost a perfect scenario for a guy like Solly?

Or am I off base to the new rule?
GCn19

« Reply #295 on: February 04, 2020, 03:24:51 PM »

Solly's numbers were top notch last year and 200k is not the payday it used to be in the CFL. At any rate whether he hits the 200k mark or not, he is due a big raise from the 140k he earned last year. If that is 180-190 that's still a big jump especially after Cam Judge just about doubled his salary as well. That's 120-150k in SMS flex the Riders lose just to retain two LBers.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:26:27 PM by GCn19 » Logged

GCn19

« Reply #296 on: February 04, 2020, 03:29:20 PM »

Could the Riders not use Solly as a "fake Canadian" with the new rules and start him, or start "a CDN like Hurl as an example" and rotate he with Solly? If that is the case with this new ratio tweek he could be worth that to the Riders, would he not be. They could go with a cheaper CDN MLB as the required CDN, and rotate he and Solly with Solly being able to take a few breathers in the game and help preserve his beating, coming off an injury and not being younger could this not be almost a perfect scenario for a guy like Solly?

Not off base at all. Vet players like Solly have seen their value increase for sure. Each team will need 3 high level vets or have a butt load of really good NATs. You now have 10 NAT spots (I am not 100% sure on if it is 10 or 11) and 3 of them can be taken by players who have met the conditions of league or team vet or a NAT player. If you don't have 3 vets on your team you must start 10 NATs. That makes high producing veterans valuable...or at least a little more valuable than they were a year ago.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #297 on: February 04, 2020, 03:29:59 PM »

Sure Solly would qualify as a "fake Canadian", but to make it work Hurl would have to fake an injury, it's not about rotation it's about replacement of the starter.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:33:10 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Sec227

« Reply #298 on: February 04, 2020, 03:30:28 PM »

Agreed, I think he lands up in Ottawa as a mentor-back up with lapo.

GCn19

« Reply #299 on: February 04, 2020, 03:32:13 PM »

Sure Solly would qualify, but to make it work Hurl would have to fake an injury, it's not about rotation it's about replacement of the starter.

Those rules have drastically changed in the new CBA. Solly can now play FT as a NAT starter under the new ratio with no need for anyone to fake an injury.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: