Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 02:57:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 69727 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #270 on: February 03, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »

A massive overpay? Average stats? He had the same number of tackles as Adam Bighill in 2019 (61). Judge was one of their better special teamers and had 11 tackles. He had 5 sacks (one more than Biggie), the same number of INTs and forced fumbles (2 each). Plus he counts as Canadian. That's a good signing for O'Day and the Riders.

He's a WIL, right?  Now, if they have moved on from Solly and are moving him back to MIKE, then I guess the pay is OK due to his passport.  But $200k on a WIL, when you need that kind of money for a top Int MIKE doesn't budget well...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #271 on: February 03, 2020, 04:07:28 PM »

Yeah average stats...very average...And yeah Biggies were not awe inspiring either....but based on the quality..and quantity of work it's not even close and Judge will never come close to Biggie numbers....ever....nice cherry pick tho looking at one season...Also Biggie was less than 100 percent for over 2/3rds of the year...we will see this year who has the "better" stats

Canadian or not...not worth 210k...and if judge went out for an extended period, or Bighill did...which team would suffer more in drop off in talent and worth to the team?..Only way Sask would suffer possibly is the fact their Canadian depth is non-existent and to meet their ratio would be an issue

All I'm trying to say is it seems like a pretty reasonable contract to me. If Walters made that deal everyone would be saying how great it was. It's not an obvious overpay.
booch

« Reply #272 on: February 03, 2020, 04:10:59 PM »

All I'm trying to say is it seems like a pretty reasonable contract to me. If Walters made that deal everyone would be saying how great it was. It's not an obvious overpay.

That price point..for that spot is excessive, and I don't think he deserves that amount for his body of work..you can't be paying a guy for possible "potential" in a small SMS world

If Walters did that...I don't think many would be praising that...That would likely mean the loss of a Jefferson, or moving a Bighill to make it work...2 moves that would weaken your team
the paw

« Reply #273 on: February 03, 2020, 04:14:39 PM »

I'm on the same page.  Starting Canadians get coin, and when they start in positions other than OL and boundary WR, they get a little more.  Judge was the Western nominee for Outstanding Canadian for goodness sake, we're not talking about Sam Hurl.  

It puzzles me why people tie themselves into logical knots trying to poormouth another teams roster moves.  Good players are good players, it doesn't diminish our team to acknowledge it.  

grab grass 'n growl
booch

« Reply #274 on: February 03, 2020, 04:21:09 PM »

I'm on the same page.  Starting Canadians get coin, and when they start in positions other than OL and boundary WR, they get a little more.  Judge was the Western nominee for Outstanding Canadian for goodness sake, we're not talking about Sam Hurl.  

It puzzles me why people tie themselves into logical knots trying to poormouth another teams roster moves.  Good players are good players, it doesn't diminish our team to acknowledge it.  

He was west nominee by circumstance and default...everyone knows who the West Nominee should have been
Kudos for them for re-upping a pending free agent Canadian..but he is nowhere close to being paid second highest salary on that team other than the QB..no way..no how...they basically squeewed and messed up their current SMS and will impact ability to sign any other pending free agent of theirs..ones who will be more important to the overall team success...Kiss Elinimian..Johnson..Probably Gainey (tho that will prob help them) good bye...far more important pieces than an adequate to average Canadian Will...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #275 on: February 03, 2020, 04:30:35 PM »

He was west nominee by circumstance and default...everyone knows who the West Nominee should have been
Kudos for them for re-upping a pending free agent Canadian..but he is nowhere close to being paid second highest salary on that team other than the QB..no way..no how...they basically squeewed and messed up their current SMS and will impact ability to sign any other pending free agent of theirs..ones who will be more important to the overall team success...Kiss Elinimian..Johnson..Probably Gainey (tho that will prob help them) good bye...far more important pieces than an adequate to average Canadian Will...

Hey, I won't be upset if you're right but I think it's a bit of a stretch.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #276 on: February 03, 2020, 04:57:44 PM »

He's a WIL, right?  Now, if they have moved on from Solly and are moving him back to MIKE, then I guess the pay is OK due to his passport.  But $200k on a WIL, when you need that kind of money for a top Int MIKE doesn't budget well...

Solly is now probably going to be offered much less than Judge to re-sign, just as the Bombers could not afford to pay both Lokombo and Bighill above avg. positional wages, Sask. is in a similar position.  Also I'm pretty sure Judge can play MLB as there's not much difference in those positions in today's game.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:12:00 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GCn19

« Reply #277 on: February 03, 2020, 05:14:48 PM »

If Saskatchewan want to blow their nut and spend 500k+ of their SMS on starting LBers I say go for it. Judge is a good WIL with the right passport, but to justify 200k per year they need him to evolve into a MIKE so they can ease Solly out the door.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
bluebeard

« Reply #278 on: February 03, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »

I have a feeling that all three of the players that you mentioned are either playing on a reduced salary or they are not in the plans of the Riders.
booch

« Reply #279 on: February 03, 2020, 06:59:31 PM »

none of them will under value themselves just to stay in Regina of all places...and to make it work there Soili and Johnson would have to accept prob 160k or less...and neither would/will do that when they can get more elsewhere...and be closer to civilization and technology, tho Gainey might as I don't see teams beating down his door..especially with the true character he showed beaking at our sideline during the Banjo Bowl beatdown, and he is an ego seeker and would prob play for sub par pay to have his ego stroked by the clown fan base
GCn19

« Reply #280 on: February 03, 2020, 07:33:44 PM »

I have a feeling that all three of the players that you mentioned are either playing on a reduced salary or they are not in the plans of the Riders.

Solly played at a discount last year but will definitely be looking for MUCH more this year. Just as Bighill played at a discount for us, that had more to do with timing than anything else. Solly had the misfortune of becoming a FA once all the teams blew their nut already. He took a reduced salary because that was all teams could afford. Gainey will not take a discount, and we all know that Johnson was 250k last year. He might take a shave but it won't be a big one.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #281 on: February 03, 2020, 07:57:39 PM »

Solly was coming off a 4 game injury season last year, so he signed a dsiscount deal and put up some very good numbers.  He is due for a raise that SSK won't be able to pay, with Judge needing to move to MLB.    I'd be really interested in reuniting Team 100 (number 96 is available Wink  if it weren't for Wilson...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #282 on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:36 PM »

Solly played at a discount last year but will definitely be looking for MUCH more this year. Just as Bighill played at a discount for us, that had more to do with timing than anything else. Solly had the misfortune of becoming a FA once all the teams blew their nut already. He took a reduced salary because that was all teams could afford. Gainey will not take a discount, and we all know that Johnson was 250k last year. He might take a shave but it won't be a big one.

Can't find the tweet but it's been reported Solly and the Riders are miles apart in negotiations and Solly is now shopping elsewhere for a better deal.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:00:52 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2020, 10:55:44 PM »

Naylor reports Argos are going to sign MBT tomorrow. Could this leave Nichols out in the cold? Hmmm. Could be interesting for old Matty boy.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #284 on: February 03, 2020, 11:07:26 PM »

Matthew Scianitti
@TSNScianitti
?
1h
#CFL sources say QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson will be flying to Toronto for a physical on Tuesday with the expectation that he will re-sign with the #Argos

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: