Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 03:59:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 69813 times)
booch

« Reply #225 on: January 20, 2020, 07:08:48 PM »

I have pretty much 0 qualms with this. D.Jones is a nice STer tho. And I'd like Adam's back, but I also wanna see us upgrade over him if that makes sense? He's a solid #2 but I don't want him to be "the guy"
Unless someone really rips a huge performance in TC..Lawler is gonna be "the guy" I would think...Adams doesn't need to be that anymore and is a solid #2 or #3..
GCn19

« Reply #226 on: January 20, 2020, 07:20:47 PM »

ALL o lines hold,it?s what they do, you act as the riders are the only ones. Let it go already

While I think that he has taken the premise too far, there is a kernel of truth to it. All teams hold and get away with holding. HOWEVER, the CFL in an effort to ramp up offence has allowed teams to compensate for crap OLs by having the officials put their whistles in their pockets on what used to be called consistently. Now it has to be egregious to be called and teams with weak sauce OLs are being propped up by the league's policy intended to help keep QBs upright.

Is it fair that a team that built OL stability and does not require a hold on every play not to get some kind of benefit from that...sure...but in the end, it is good for the game overall....as long as they tighten up the holding calls in the playoffs so that the wheat can be separated from the chaff.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #227 on: January 20, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »

The players on our FA list I would like to see signed before FA starts:

Jefferson
Zach or Matt
Thomas
Miles
Roh
Nevis
Adams

The players that may not be back.

Fenner
Couture
Hecht
D. Jones
K. Jones
Nelson
and of course Foketi.

blue_or_die's FA order:

1. Matt/Zach
2. Willie J
3. Nevis
4. Adams
4. Thomas
5. Miles

I love Craig Roh but I think he's expendable. If he wants to come back and is willing to forgo a raise, I'm good with that. Of course that would be moot if we didn't have Kongbo leaving. I would put Roh re-signing in the same level of importance as re-signing Fenner: not high but I would consider it.  I would say that, assuming Jefferson is re-signed, if we need to put a cheap American somewhere, backup DE would be it and it might be a nice futures spot to find "the next one".

My rationale for the other positioning is that Nevis is under-rated and is a stalwart at clogging up the middle; Adams, while not a true #1, is reliable and knows the system and gives us continuity in a position where I don't think a shakeup is needed; and Jake and Thomas Miles are good depth guys but not key like the others mentioned. Still definitely want them back tho.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #228 on: January 20, 2020, 10:32:04 PM »

blue_or_die's FA order:

1. Matt/Zach
2. Willie J
3. Nevis
4. Adams
4. Thomas
5. Miles

I love Craig Roh but I think he's expendable. If he wants to come back and is willing to forgo a raise, I'm good with that. Of course that would be moot if we didn't have Kongbo leaving. I would put Roh re-signing in the same level of importance as re-signing Fenner: not high but I would consider it.  I would say that, assuming Jefferson is re-signed, if we need to put a cheap American somewhere, backup DE would be it and it might be a nice futures spot to find "the next one".

My rationale for the other positioning is that Nevis is under-rated and is a stalwart at clogging up the middle; Adams, while not a true #1, is reliable and knows the system and gives us continuity in a position where I don't think a shakeup is needed; and Jake and Thomas Miles are good depth guys but not key like the others mentioned. Still definitely want them back tho.

"Assuming Jefferson is re-signed" is an iffy proposition at best, "bird in hand" scenario, Roh may not be a super-freak but he is an excellent, journeyman DE and he should be re-signed asap before he feels neglected and seeks interest elsewhere.  There's a pretty good chance Jefferson doesn't play for the Bombers this year or comes back later in the year, starting the year off with at least 2 experienced DE's will provide a base to build up from and help the D get off to a good start which is essential if they want to contend for first.  There could be a number of new faces in the secondary so retaining the D-line personnel as well as they can will help out on the back-end.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:51:04 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #229 on: January 20, 2020, 10:52:48 PM »

"Assuming Jefferson is re-signed" is an iffy proposition at best, "bird in hand" scenario, Roh may not be a super-freak but he is an excellent, journeyman DE and he should be re-signed asap before he feels neglected and seeks interest elsewhere.  There's a pretty good chance Jefferson doesn't play for the Bombers this year or comes back later in the year, starting the year off with at least 2 experienced DE's will provide a base to build up from and help the D get off to a good start which is essential if they want to contend for first.  There could be a number of new faces in the secondary so retaining the D-line personnel as well as they can will help out on the back-end.
Well said I agree.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2020, 11:43:05 PM »

as long as they tighten up the holding calls in the playoffs so that the wheat can be separated from the chaff.

But it was the precise opposite!  This post-season saw them call almost no holds.  And teams were a'holding non-stop.  Even us.  I think each post-season game had at most 2 holds flagged.

Rewatching our season there was one game we played early on where we got like 5 holding penalties and MOS even remarked they are calling a lot of holding.  And that's on US!  And we are the least holding team in the league!  So even though they rarely called holding in-season, they still called it more than the playoffs.

Oh ya, and your premise regarding holds allowing weak OLs to succeed is 100% spot on.  SSK's holds made their OL look as good as our (waaay better) OL.

Never go full Rider!
Horseman

« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2020, 06:07:04 PM »

The refs/league has decided that as long as the OL has his hands on the inside of the shoulders on the DL (ie; on the DL chest area) he can hold/grab the DL jersey, anything outside of the shoulders will be called a hold by the refs.
blue_or_die

« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2020, 10:03:56 PM »

Depends on the price. He is not an ELC guy, as we got him in FA in 2018 so he?s not super cheap considering he?s a back up, I wouldn?t think. If he wants a raise, that makes it even more difficult. We will have many guys we need even more who will all need raises and there is only so much SMS. If his expectations for salary aren?t huge, I am more than happy to have him back.

Pigskin

« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2020, 02:56:16 AM »

I am hoping we can get Thomas, and Miles, signed by the end of the week.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2020, 04:31:45 AM »

CFL News
@CFL_News
Jan 20
#Riders have agreed to a two-year contract extension through the 2021 season with defensive lineman A.C. Leonard, per sources.

Leonard earned a substantial raise to an average around $150,000 each season. - @JDunk12
 #CFL

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2020, 05:12:45 AM »

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
Stampeders re-sign defensive tackle Mike Rose: Last off-season, the Calgary Stampeders saw two of their most dominant defensive linemen go join other teams in free agency. This year, they?ve made sure the same thing doesn?t happen? https://calgarysun.com/sports/stampeders-re-sign-defensive-tackle-mike-rose?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter via @DannyAustin_9

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2020, 05:25:09 AM »

CFL
@CFL
9h
The #Ticats have announced they have re-signed OL Kay Okafor.

GCn19

« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2020, 12:24:22 PM »

Andre Jones son TJ, who has been in the NFL for 5 years and is a NAT, is looking for a place to play in the CFL. Gitter dun Walters. For those who don't remember Andre Jones he played for the Bombers in 91 or 92 and had a great season and went to the NFL. While here, he had TJ in Winnipeg making him a natural born Winnipegger and qualifies as a NAT.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:30:09 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2020, 01:51:01 PM »

Andre Jones son TJ, who has been in the NFL for 5 years and is a NAT, is looking for a place to play in the CFL. Gitter dun Walters. For those who don't remember Andre Jones he played for the Bombers in 91 or 92 and had a great season and went to the NFL. While here, he had TJ in Winnipeg making him a natural born Winnipegger and qualifies as a NAT.

NICE

The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2020, 02:00:27 PM »

Seems like a guy that Toronto would go hard after...he has some family ties to Rocket Ishmael as well.  He is a true free agent with nobody holding his rights.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: