Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 04:14:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 69840 times)
Jesse

« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »

If Willy comes back to the CFL I expect his ears are going to be wide open to offers, can't see him turning down a "crazy Kavis" offer if some GM is willing to spend $25,000-$50,000 more than Walters, much like Westerman.  I don't put much stock in a player's words when the camera is focused upon them, they usually say exactly what you'd expected them to say to fit the heat of the moment.  After the emotions of winning the championship die down the cool reflective mind that pushes most to pursue money takes over.

My feelings as well.

Not to say he wont sign here if our offer is competitive, but there's definitely a dollar value attached to his comfort with Winnipeg.

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2020, 05:17:20 PM »

My feelings as well.

Not to say he wont sign here if our offer is competitive, but there's definitely a dollar value attached to his comfort with Winnipeg.

Well...why didn't he do that last year then???
Jesse

« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2020, 05:23:26 PM »

Well...why didn't he do that last year then???

I feel like he did?

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2020, 05:29:57 PM »

I feel like he did?

IIRC he took slightly less than an offer elsewhere. That was due to his belief that Winnipeg had a very good chance of being in the Grey Cup.

Playoff money and a chance of a Grey Cup ring play into decisions. Obviously those are not guaranteed but players also evaluate the management and perception of a team's roster ability.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_or_die

« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »

IIRC he took slightly less than an offer elsewhere. That was due to his belief that Winnipeg had a very good chance of being in the Grey Cup.

Playoff money and a chance of a Grey Cup ring play into decisions. Obviously those are not guaranteed but players also evaluate the management and perception of a team's roster ability.

Was the team that offered more money Montreal, who was an absolute tire fire last year? If so, yeah, I'd take less money and go anywhere else, too.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »

Was the team that offered more money Montreal, who was an absolute tire fire last year? If so, yeah, I'd take less money and go anywhere else, too.

Didn't he sign here for less than SSK, which got their fans riled... no?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2020, 06:03:11 PM »

Maybe? I'm not sure, I've only ever heard hearsay from fans on this forum.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2020, 06:06:40 PM »

Yes, I believe the Argos offered him $15,000 more, that probably wasn't crazy enough.  If Willy comes back his NFL dream will be done with and good chance he will attempt to maximize his value as the MODP in the CFL for the remainder of his career.  No reason he should offer his services at any kind of bargain, he's at the top of his game and will likely become the highest paid defensive player in the league.  The Riders made Micah Johnson the highest paid defensive player last season signing him on a one-year contract worth $250,000, big mistake....Willy might want to point out to Walters just how much more valuable he is than Johnson, he absolutely dominated the G.C. game.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2020, 06:08:12 PM »

Don't think so, Sask. tried to low-ball him and he walked away without a counter offer.
theaardvark

« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2020, 06:42:29 PM »

Ahhh.. that's right... Jones leaving opened the window...

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/27/willie-jefferson-lowballed-by-riders-took-less-choosing-bombers/

Chris Jones leaving the Riders led to Jefferson testing the open market, especially after the green and white offered him less than $175,000. Jefferson negotiated his own free agent contract and felt the offer was below market value.

The Toronto Argonauts were in the mix, but Jefferson wanted $235,000 to sign in the six. He chose what he felt was the best opportunity to win a Grey Cup in 2019. Jefferson inked a one-year contract worth $210,000 with Winnipeg that included the following: a $100,000 signing bonus; $90,000 base salary; $15,000 housing; and $5,000 travel.

Jones had been able to keep Jefferson in Saskatchewan in 2018 at a rate of $155,000 plus incentives. Being named a CFL all-star for a second-straight year under Jones netted some extra cash. If Jones, who left for a job with the Cleveland Browns, was still in Saskatchewan it?s near certain that Jefferson would have remained in Rider green.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »

So basically, he took less money in order to win a Cup (and also henceforth get more money). Toronto wasn't going to get him that and I'm happy we were.

blueraid

« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »

So does Willie still feel that we are in the mix for a Cup win....another Cup win...then I expect his signing here will be inevitable...That's not to say that he won't get a better contract here than in 2019 AND we still look like the destination to be heading for in 2020...Up to him and Mr. Walters, if his dream down south has definitely dried up
Jets
Administrator

« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2020, 09:13:17 PM »

Getting nervous about Stanley B testing FA the longer he goes unsigned.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2020, 11:13:38 PM »

Getting nervous about Stanley B testing FA the longer he goes unsigned.

Patience, Stanley ain't going nowhere, he's wanted and well paid, I doubt he would get a substantial pay increase anywhere else, he already has to be near the top for Import OT's in terms of salary.  His biggest threat is a Natl. that can do his job or a young Import who could do it cheaper.
theaardvark

« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »

I think that the sticking points to vet contracts is bonus money.  Bonus money is taxed less, but counts 100% to SMS, even in the case of being cut, or injury.  Guys like Medlock, who never miss a game and are unlikely to get replaced from a talent standpoint, no problem front loading the contract a ridiculous amount.  Bryant hasn't missed a game since joining our team.  So giving him some extra up front is less of a risk than other players, but an increasing risk as a player ages.  No doubt we can pay him more than anyone else will, if he includes playoff money potential...

It is a balancing act, getting players the max take home pay while minimizing the SMS hit... Walters has been pretty solid at it...  no reason to think he won't continue...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: