Blue Bombers Forum
October 24, 2021, 07:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 73698 times)
booch

« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2020, 04:50:01 PM »

Could also be a case that they have spoke with Willie and discussed a number if the NFL thing doesn't pan out..so they already know the SMS fit and that it means Roh will be on the outs and a first year guy will fill that rotational role at a cheaper price tag to make it all work
booch

« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2020, 04:51:53 PM »

I don't think Walters will be a big player in F.A. this year, he may fill up the odd hole with a solid vet. but I think he'll leave the big headline signings to other GM's.  His main focus should be on luring his own F.A.'s back to the fold, which will create plenty of excitement if he's successful. 

Exactly...we don't need to go out and over spend in free agency...and any guy we do land...possibly a DB...or two is gonna be coming here at a similar price to another teams offer...if not even a bit less...because of the Bomber culture and chances of winning...ala Willie last year
Blue In BC

« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »

We don't have a lot of holes to fill if we can re-sign our key potential free agents. Management probably already has a good idea of which players they are not going to be able to bring back.

That said Nevis, Thomas, Jefferson, Roh, S. Bryant, D. Adams, Fenner, Taylor and all our  starting QB's are not announced as returning yet. We've lost Sayles, Rose and Kongbo to the NFL. Probably Streveler as well.

So we may have some real issues to deal with which might be solved before or during free agency.

I won't go as far as saying we don't have many holes to deal with until we see more re-signings. I'm optimistic we will but optimism is not as good as a new signed contract.

We certainly have a lot of talent available if we can bring them back within the SMS. That's a lot more than we could have said in past off seasons.

I agree we won't see Walters as a big player in free agency for the most part. Over paying is not a wise use of the SMS.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2020, 04:28:55 PM »

Calgary, Winnipeg, and Sask, lead the way with transactions this off season. Teams like BC, Edmonton, Montreal and Ottawa, have done next to nothing.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2020, 05:42:00 PM »

It appears about 40 players have been extended across the CFL. Another 14 or so have been released for NFL opportunities.

Rough count remaining potential free agents is about 220 -230. I'd guess at least 20 or 30 of those will never play another game in the CFL. A few of those will be retirements forced or voluntary.

Our list is short but a few key pieces along with NFL departures.

We're still in a good position to come up with only a small number of changes overall. Most will be depth.

The biggest changes will be in the secondary due to current losses.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Jesse

« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2020, 09:46:59 PM »

I don't think Walters will be a big player in F.A. this year, he may fill up the odd hole with a solid vet. but I think he'll leave the big headline signings to other GM's.  His main focus should be on luring his own F.A.'s back to the fold, which will create plenty of excitement if he's successful. 

Can never count Walters out. I didn't expect him to go out and sign Willie in the first place, but here we are.

My wife is amazing!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2020, 10:31:26 PM »

Can never count Walters out. I didn't expect him to go out and sign Willie in the first place, but here we are.

You got it!  '18 he pulled Bighill out of his magic hat.  '19 he pulled Willie out of his Christmas stocking.  '20... the year he pulls Zylstra or Walker out?

Never go full Rider!
kkc60

« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2020, 10:45:56 PM »

You got it!  '18 he pulled Bighill out of his magic hat.  '19 he pulled Willie out of his Christmas stocking.  '20... the year he pulls Zylstra or Walker out?

Zylstra is in Carolina and showed pretty well with opportunities.

booch

« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »

Opolago as well came out of nowhere and was on nobodies radar
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2020, 02:16:59 PM »

Zylstra is in Carolina and showed pretty well with opportunities.

Yeah, I don't know if I see him back in the CFL soon.

Walker would be a nice addition to the offence, but that probably means the team moves on from Adams.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
theaardvark

« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2020, 02:27:29 PM »

One thing in common with all the FA's KW has pulled out of his hat is that they are quality guys, off the field.  They fit into the club dynamic.  No hot shot prima donnas.. guys you want on the field and in the locker room,,,

So, I'd take that into acount when proposing guys we might land...

In the meantime, having Willie out there makes his job a little tougher.  Not knowing if a substantial SMS hit needs to be made is a tough thing.  They seem to be stacking the TC roster with potential "next ones", so there is that...  and its not as bad as what Buff did to Chevy, but it is still a thing.  BUt in today's CFL, every GM is dealing with a situation like this..

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
booch

« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2020, 02:42:16 PM »

Pretty sure he is in pretty consistent contact with Willie and they have discussed a number on what he wants to play back in Winnipeg again...if the NFL doesn't pan out...He has stated he just wants whats fair and what he thinks he is worth, likes his teammates...likes the city and organization so I would be shocked if he signs elsewhere in the CFL if the NFL doesn't pan out if we agree to what he thinks his value is...And certain Walters knows this and is working/doing things to make it work .

We aren't in a place where we need big amounts of extra cash needed to sigh free-agents to fill gaping holes..and the ones we may need to fill (a db or two) aren't hand-cuffing type of contracts, and guys we re-upped were all vets who received a bump...in maybe the 5 to 10k range, not guys coming of entry level deals requiring a salary going from the mid 50k's...to mid 60k's and closing in on 6 figures
Blue In BC

« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2020, 03:30:55 PM »

Adeleke re-signed with the Ticats so he won't be an option in free agency. Pretty much expected he'd re-sign there but it was an interesting thought for a short moment.

So we still need to determine our 7th actual Canadian starter / or rotation that is practical. Losing Kongbo didn't help.

Safety seems to be the most logical / likely place to upgrade our roster. Not an upgrade over Alexander but I think we're expecting him back at DHB in 2020.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »

Spencer Wilson got cut loose by the Als because he had a larger roster bonus due, and they have an oversupply of younger NTL o-lineman.  He would not fill a need here, but this guy is only 31 and plays all 5 positions at a high level.  A couple of years ago, he bailed the Stamps out when a bunch of their starters went down and he played all the way up and down the line for them.

You have to think he would be of interest to the Riders.  Their OTs are no great shakes, and Wilson would be an upgrade on Clark or Bladek. 

grab grass 'n growl
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2020, 04:41:54 PM »

Pretty sure he is in pretty consistent contact with Willie and they have discussed a number on what he wants to play back in Winnipeg again...if the NFL doesn't pan out...He has stated he just wants whats fair and what he thinks he is worth, likes his teammates...likes the city and organization so I would be shocked if he signs elsewhere in the CFL if the NFL doesn't pan out if we agree to what he thinks his value is...And certain Walters knows this and is working/doing things to make it work .

We aren't in a place where we need big amounts of extra cash needed to sigh free-agents to fill gaping holes..and the ones we may need to fill (a db or two) aren't hand-cuffing type of contracts, and guys we re-upped were all vets who received a bump...in maybe the 5 to 10k range, not guys coming of entry level deals requiring a salary going from the mid 50k's...to mid 60k's and closing in on 6 figures

If Willy comes back to the CFL I expect his ears are going to be wide open to offers, can't see him turning down a "crazy Kavis" offer if some GM is willing to spend $25,000-$50,000 more than Walters, much like Westerman.  I don't put much stock in a player's words when the camera is focused upon them, they usually say exactly what you'd expected them to say to fit the heat of the moment.  After the emotions of winning the championship die down the cool reflective mind that pushes most to pursue money takes over.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: