Blue Bombers Forum
October 24, 2021, 08:24:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 73723 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2020, 08:00:31 PM »

well he was an all star last season in the east...and he punts and does kickoffs and FGs....AND Canadian.   We have chased a lot of kickers outa town until Medlock showed up.   I'm not saying he's better than Medlock but he does have an upside being a Canadian and he's gotten more consistent since leaving us.....

Happy the Bombers have Medlock but they disposed of Lirim way too quickly considering his skill level and passport, his rookie season was outstanding and he's played very consistently since he left Wpg. after his less than stellar second year.  He did not come across as overly happy while here, I think moving back East to be closer to family was part of the reason for his departure.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:59:27 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2020, 06:13:43 AM »

Medlock is not 10x better. That's just your bias.

And yes, I'm sure the scouts will watch film from *checks notes* 5 years ago

OK, 10X might be an exaggeration, but Medlock>Lirim, by far.  Now, arguably Lirim is a better value because he's a NAT, and cheaper.  However, when you need 6 FG in the GC, my money is on Money Medlock.  (He did miss the one, but it was far, and he got dialled in real fast and didn't let it get to his head.)

As for the 5 years ago thing, I would pay attention to it because it shows that Lirim can get messed up in the head pretty darn quickly and not recover from it for a whole game (or rest of the season).  That's literally the worst thing a K can do: not shrug off misses.  The only multi-miss Medlock game I remember recently is the one in '19 vs OTT where he missed 2 but then ran down on that punt to recover his own kick at the 3!

well he was an all star last season in the east...and he punts and does kickoffs and FGs....AND Canadian.   We have chased a lot of kickers outa town until Medlock showed up.   I'm not saying he's better than Medlock but he does have an upside being a Canadian and he's gotten more consistent since leaving us.....

Yes, as I said in my first comment, Lirim is good.  Arguably the best NAT K right now?  But the question at hand is what is the NFL doing looking at him?  He's not even remotely close to NFL good.  NFL needs that huge leg to ensure every KO is a touchback.  Lirim can't do that.  Lirim will come back in short order and continue being a solid NAT K in the CFL.

Never go full Rider!
kkc60

« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »

OK, 10X might be an exaggeration, but Medlock>Lirim, by far.  Now, arguably Lirim is a better value because he's a NAT, and cheaper.  However, when you need 6 FG in the GC, my money is on Money Medlock.  (He did miss the one, but it was far, and he got dialled in real fast and didn't let it get to his head.)

As for the 5 years ago thing, I would pay attention to it because it shows that Lirim can get messed up in the head pretty darn quickly and not recover from it for a whole game (or rest of the season).  That's literally the worst thing a K can do: not shrug off misses.  The only multi-miss Medlock game I remember recently is the one in '19 vs OTT where he missed 2 but then ran down on that punt to recover his own kick at the 3!
Comparing a guy in his second year as a pro to who he is now is just a grasp at straws because he isn't a Bomber, so he isn't the best
Pigskin

« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »

Less then a month till free agency starts. Very slow right now with teams signing players.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »

Less then a month till free agency starts. Very slow right now with teams signing players.

I wonder if the new ability to shop around their offers ( 8 day window ) is influencing the lack of signings?

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2020, 07:14:29 PM »

I think a lot of teams are waiting to see how the NFL workouts go for their players entering free agency.  You don't want to spend all your mazoom signing Option B just to find out that Option A didn't get an NFL offer and is now prepared to talk turkey. 

Case in point, I am sure the Bombers are waiting to see if Jefferson gets an actual NFL offer.  He is the domino that will key all the other decisions on the d-line spending. 

But they can't wait forever either. 

grab grass 'n growl
GCn19

« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »

Yes, as I said in my first comment, Lirim is good.  Arguably the best NAT K right now?  But the question at hand is what is the NFL doing looking at him?  He's not even remotely close to NFL good.  NFL needs that huge leg to ensure every KO is a touchback.  Lirim can't do that.  Lirim will come back in short order and continue being a solid NAT K in the CFL.

Lirim easily has enough leg for touch backs. Don't mistake how a kicker places his kickoffs in the CFL with the distance they are able to kick. In the CFL kickers actually hold back on their kickoffs so as NOT to put them in the end zone because a touchback is not a good result. When you see Lirim and most other kickers placing it around the 10 yard line it is because they want the opposition to field the ball and not let it go into the end zone. Also in the NFL, they kick it directly down the field not to one side of the field as they do in the CFL.

Let's add it up, in the NFL kickers don't place the ball they kick it full out, the field is 10 yards shorter, the kick is straight not angled thus creating another 5-10 yards of distance. Add it up and Lirim, or Medlock for example, have ample leg strength for the NFL.

Take Sergio Castillo for example, who when playing in the CFL at the same time as Lirim, averaged less yards per kickoff than Lirim yet he easily had the leg for kickoffs in the NFL.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:32:36 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2020, 07:34:20 PM »

I think a lot of teams are waiting to see how the NFL workouts go for their players entering free agency.  You don't want to spend all your mazoom signing Option B just to find out that Option A didn't get an NFL offer and is now prepared to talk turkey. 

Case in point, I am sure the Bombers are waiting to see if Jefferson gets an actual NFL offer.  He is the domino that will key all the other decisions on the d-line spending. 

I think the Bombers have a pretty good idea with what's going on with Jefferson. NFL teams tend to do their due diligence and will have been in contact with the Bombers and I am sure KW will have gotten a sense as to the legitimacy of their interest.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
booch

« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2020, 07:59:33 PM »

I think the Bombers have a pretty good idea with what's going on with Jefferson. NFL teams tend to do their due diligence and will have been in contact with the Bombers and I am sure KW will have gotten a sense as to the legitimacy of their interest.

Willie is in a bad spot as no PR left...and teams only have 94 k to put toward free agent signing bonuses....you may get a 6 figure signing bonus on paper...but you only get a fraction up front...like 5k..maybe 10...and the balance once you make the squad...and if you don't, then the balance is considered "dead money" and paid out against a teams cap over 5 years, and teams don't like to have that dead money limiting them in sms. Teams do this now with this free agent signing bonus cap to allow themselves to have ability to bring in more guys to camp.

In Willies case he has to roster, or else the team will have to pay him out, and he is gonna need/want a sizeable bonus because if he gets cut after TC he would have missed out on whatever he could have got in CFL...And even if they gave him a 100k bonus...then cut him he would still have earned less than if he signed up here...got his signing bonus and 6-8 game cheques
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2020, 01:35:05 AM »

If Willie comes back Kyle better have $250,000 set aside for him, the man is going to expect to be paid.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2020, 10:16:58 AM »

If Willie comes back Kyle better have $250,000 set aside for him, the man is going to expect to be paid.

And you pay the man.  Set him up for "life" like we did Biggie.  I've been down on Willie at times, and agree with many Ridersfans about him on many things that most here don't see, but the man pretty much won the 2-3 of the last 4 games for us (incl the GC), as well as a few more in-season.  If anyone in the CFL stands out as "too good for the CFL" (like a Flutie), it's Willie.  Whoever rosters Willie will have an unfair advantage over other teams.

Willie likes it here, he's so "tight with this team man!", if he's not in the NFL you pay him whatever it takes to have him on your team.  You give him that smoke.  And I have no doubt KW will do so.  But if any CFLer should be in the NFL, it's Willie... (not Lirim...)

P.S. I'm sure it's clear to everyone that when Willie is "on", he not only makes the stats, he makes that whole DL and blitz package better.  Jeffcoat, Nevis, Fatboi, Stove, all make more plays because the OL is busy with Willie.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2020, 01:56:43 PM »

Timing is a risk to both sides in the waiting game. You can't wait until May to find out Jefferson isn't coming back. Top free agents are usually signed or re-signed in the 1st few days of free agency.

Teams will go into free agency with a plan regarding replacements. That will change moment by moment as choices decide and priorities will change as players are gained or lost.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
booch

« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2020, 02:22:30 PM »

The thing is we are pretty set up at moment to wait a bit, and keep some money set aside for a possible return during the free agent frenzy....We don't have much for holes to fill, and the few we do can be filled via free agency if we chose to go that route on very manageable contracts, and some may already be here in house...we may have to look at a db or two via free-agency but they rarely break the bank on a contract that hand-cuffs you

theaardvark

« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2020, 04:14:25 PM »

I think that the plethora of DE's being brought in are the backup plan for "If Willie doesn't come back north".  With Roh and Jeffcoat, we should be OK, especially if we draft another Kongbo (or he returns...)

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2020, 04:49:12 PM »

Timing is a risk to both sides in the waiting game. You can't wait until May to find out Jefferson isn't coming back. Top free agents are usually signed or re-signed in the 1st few days of free agency.

Teams will go into free agency with a plan regarding replacements. That will change moment by moment as choices decide and priorities will change as players are gained or lost.

I don't think Walters will be a big player in F.A. this year, he may fill up the odd hole with a solid vet. but I think he'll leave the big headline signings to other GM's.  His main focus should be on luring his own F.A.'s back to the fold, which will create plenty of excitement if he's successful. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: