Blue Bombers Forum
October 19, 2021, 02:47:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 73427 times)
Jesse

« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2020, 01:18:33 AM »

Not actually the CFL's fault, more a case of the NFL not cooperating.

"CFL players were supposedly granted the right to work out and sign for NFL teams as part of the new CBA signed back in May, through the re-introduction of something known as the NFL window. However, the NFL hasn?t signed off on conditions that come with that provision, which means players like Roberson are stuck in limbo."

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-payers-stuck-in-limbo-with-nfl-window-issues-unresolved-1.1408559

I understand that, but telling players that it will be in place before it is in place is the problem.

My wife is amazing!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
13h
Official: CFL all-star receiver Reggie Begelton signs with Green Bay Packers: The Green Bay Packers have signed receiver Reggie Begelton to a reserve/future contract. 3DownNation insider Justin Dunk reported the news last week. Begelto? https://3downnation.com/2020/01/06/official-cfl-all-star-receiver-reggie-begelton-signs-with-green-bay-packers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter via @3DownNation

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2020, 05:41:12 PM »

Re-signing potential free agents around the CFL seems a bit slow at the moment. Lots of future contracts being signed though.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2020, 05:50:00 PM »

I'm not sure what happens when a team releases a player early for an NFL opportunity. From a PR point of view that wouldn't be good for another team to now sign Roberson. If they do so after actual CFL free agency happens then no harm / foul.

Chances are he returns to Calgary but many teams would have interest. There is always the loyally aspect of giving a player that early chance. Same as we did with Rose and Sayles. Even Kongbo who wasn't even set to reach free agency.

Teams do not release players signed beyond February early unless they know for certain that those players have received an NFL contract offer or there is a desk drawer contract for his return if the NFL doesn't work out.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2020, 05:56:16 PM »

CFL.ca Staff

VANCOUVER - The BC Lions have released defensive back Chris Edwards in order for him to pursue NFL opportunities.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2020, 06:00:43 PM »

Teams do not release players signed beyond February early unless they know for certain that those players have received an NFL contract offer or there is a desk drawer contract for his return if the NFL doesn't work out.

That's not what I was suggesting or asking. Kongbo for example only completed his 1st year and was released to pursue NFL opportunities. I haven't heard that he has signed anywhere yet.

The point was that I don't recall a given player then coming back in January and signing with another CFL team.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2020, 08:56:29 PM »

Well Begelton is going to hurt. Very good receiver.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2020, 03:31:02 AM »

That's not what I was suggesting or asking. Kongbo for example only completed his 1st year and was released to pursue NFL opportunities. I haven't heard that he has signed anywhere yet.

The point was that I don't recall a given player then coming back in January and signing with another CFL team.

Kongbo signed a futures contract with the 49ers last week: https://www.tsn.ca/former-winnipeg-blue-bombers-de-jonathan-kongbo-signs-with-san-francisco-49ers-1.1421776

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2020, 08:39:00 AM »

At the moment I am undecided whether to renew for 2020 or look for other venues for marketing. And I agree the Stadium could use an overhaul or replacement but doubt that is in the foreseeable future.

After going to McMahon twice in 2 years, I can see the attractiveness of the current location.  It really is a great little nook there on that hill right next to the highways and train stop, with a ton of hotels across the street, tons more a few minutes drive/train downtown.

Has the city/club even ever discussed what future plans might look like?  You'd have to think it would be attractive to keep that location... however, how do you build a brand new stadium then?  It would require a temporary venue for 2 or 3 years.  Maybe knocking out a ton of walls and extending the concession areas to be double their current area and adding a ton of bathrooms would be enough to tide them over another decade on the cheap...

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2020, 08:40:21 AM »

I'm not sure what happens when a team releases a player early for an NFL opportunity. From a PR point of view that wouldn't be good for another team to now sign Roberson. If they do so after actual CFL free agency happens then no harm / foul.

Everything I can recall seeing of Roberson shows that he's a stand-up player with a ton of talent.  That has MOS-locker-room written all over it.  Come on down to WPG Roberson!  Get some of that smoke!

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2020, 12:12:31 PM »

Kongbo signed a futures deal with the Niners.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »

After going to McMahon twice in 2 years, I can see the attractiveness of the current location.  It really is a great little nook there on that hill right next to the highways and train stop, with a ton of hotels across the street, tons more a few minutes drive/train downtown.

Has the city/club even ever discussed what future plans might look like?  You'd have to think it would be attractive to keep that location... however, how do you build a brand new stadium then?  It would require a temporary venue for 2 or 3 years.  Maybe knocking out a ton of walls and extending the concession areas to be double their current area and adding a ton of bathrooms would be enough to tide them over another decade on the cheap...

McMahon is built on the grounds of the U of Calgary who also own the stadium, so replacing the stadium in that location would probably be as convoluted a deal as building IGF on U of M land was.  The Stamps are owned by the Flames who have recently reached agreement with various levels of govt. to replace the Saddledome near it's current location, at one time a new football stadium was part of that discussion but it seems to have dropped off the table fairly quickly in order to secure a new arena deal.  If they ever decide to tear down the Saddledome that would make an excellent location to build a new football stadium but that's probably not in the cards anytime soon.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:34:46 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2020, 06:43:05 PM »

Riders re-sign Nick Marshall to a new 1 year deal. Also they released Moncreif in order to explore NFL opportunities.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:19:07 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2020, 07:14:42 PM »

Marshall is a good player. But he is a hot head that gets his team in trouble with bad penalties.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
blue_or_die

« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2020, 08:26:48 PM »

Marshall is a good player. But he is a hot head that gets his team in trouble with bad penalties.

He fits in quite nicely with that group

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: