Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 02:20:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 69682 times)
blueraid

« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2020, 06:27:16 PM »

Well it?s been like this for a while. How do think Calgary feels the last number of years?

A lot of teams have lost some good one's...Cal. for sure ...and I've also noticed the stadium in Calgary is looking more and more empty every year, and that's with having success and winning a few Cups in recent years...
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2020, 06:56:47 PM »

A lot of teams have lost some good one's...Cal. for sure ...and I've also noticed the stadium in Calgary is looking more and more empty every year, and that's with having success and winning a few Cups in recent years...
If your a sports fan this is happening in EVERY pro league in North America. It is NOT unique to the CFL. To your point though the CFLs seemingly no win circumstance does not help either. The fans that come that are the Normies a have no idea the league is even like this. So this is really not the reason attendance is down slightly.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_or_die

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2020, 04:31:52 PM »

If your a sports fan this is happening in EVERY pro league in North America. It is NOT unique to the CFL. To your point though the CFLs seemingly no win circumstance does not help either. The fans that come that are the Normies a have no idea the league is even like this. So this is really not the reason attendance is down slightly.

You are correct, but to add to your point, I think a point of complacency has set in in Calgary. It is no longer a big deal to win the regular season, get to the Grey Cup, and win the Grey Cup. Now as Calgary potentially starts to trend down, fans will care even less. I predict lots of empty seats at McMahon in the near future, as much as I don't want that.

Throw in the fact that the stadium is the dump of the league and they will not host another GC until a new one is built, in a time of economic recession in the city and you have a recipe for bad times.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2020, 04:42:46 PM »

You are correct, but to add to your point, I think a point of complacency has set in in Calgary. It is no longer a big deal to win the regular season, get to the Grey Cup, and win the Grey Cup. Now as Calgary potentially starts to trend down, fans will care even less. I predict lots of empty seats at McMahon in the near future, as much as I don't want that.

Throw in the fact that the stadium is the dump of the league and they will not host another GC until a new one is built, in a time of economic recession in the city and you have a recipe for bad times.

This is pretty much how I see it also. I live in Calgary and normally renew our corporate season tickets during the first quarter of the year. I have 4 in the super red zones and have noticed that the folks that use to sit near me (when I did attend a few games) are no longer there. As a matter of fact the Super Red section seems to be less and less sought after these days. I do believe the economy has a lot to do with that as a number of seats are actually corporate seats (as are mine - I give them away to our clients during the year).

At the moment I am undecided whether to renew for 2020 or look for other venues for marketing. And I agree the Stadium could use an overhaul or replacement but doubt that is in the foreseeable future.
blueraid

« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »

I wonder if we have thought about pursuing Tre Roberson in fa after losing a couple of good DB's ..I think Huffer blew it with this guy by not granting Roberson his release right away when he asked for it....Could be some hard feelings there and he sure would look good in BluenGold..Of course he would have to be unsigned down south firstly... but there would be nothing else in the way of making him an offer
Blue In BC

« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2020, 05:13:15 PM »

I wonder if we have thought about pursuing Tre Roberson in fa after losing a couple of good DB's ..I think Huffer blew it with this guy by not granting Roberson his release right away when he asked for it....Could be some hard feelings there and he sure would look good in BluenGold..Of course he would have to be unsigned down south firstly... but there would be nothing else in the way of making him an offer

I'm not sure what happens when a team releases a player early for an NFL opportunity. From a PR point of view that wouldn't be good for another team to now sign Roberson. If they do so after actual CFL free agency happens then no harm / foul.

Chances are he returns to Calgary but many teams would have interest. There is always the loyally aspect of giving a player that early chance. Same as we did with Rose and Sayles. Even Kongbo who wasn't even set to reach free agency.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2020, 07:14:20 PM »

I'm not sure what happens when a team releases a player early for an NFL opportunity. From a PR point of view that wouldn't be good for another team to now sign Roberson. If they do so after actual CFL free agency happens then no harm / foul.

Chances are he returns to Calgary but many teams would have interest. There is always the loyally aspect of giving a player that early chance. Same as we did with Rose and Sayles. Even Kongbo who wasn't even set to reach free agency.

Yes but Huff did delay his release and even denied it until Roberson went public with his request for release.
Blue In BC

« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2020, 07:47:31 PM »

Yes but Huff did delay his release and even denied it until Roberson went public with his request for release.

Fair enough but there have been about 13 players released early. I don't recall that ever happening where one player then signed with another CFL team prior to reaching free agency.

There is never a guarantee that a given player returns to his previous team.

Did Huff piss off Roberson? Perhaps. Will he get an NFL deal? Perhaps and he may not return for a season or 2. Time will tell how this works out for him and all these NFL bound players.

Historically not many survive cut down dates each year and are back after LD. Can't blame them for trying. Money and playing in home country has large influence.

That said the pool of new talent in the draft, off season trades makes it a difficult road.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2020, 08:30:21 PM »

I checked the CFL FA tracker and it doesn't show Roberson as a pending FA. So was this just Roberson wanting out of his contract, or out of Calgary. I agree did Huff piss him off?

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Jesse

« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »

I checked the CFL FA tracker and it doesn't show Roberson as a pending FA. So was this just Roberson wanting out of his contract, or out of Calgary. I agree did Huff piss him off?

Players were supposed to be allowed an NFL window, then were told once the season ended that it wasn't happening.

Roberson was pissed at the league, not at Calgary, who did eventually release him.

My wife is amazing!
blueraid

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2020, 09:32:12 PM »

The story was that Huff refused to release Roberson when the story broke...The league had no problem with others heading south for tryouts at that point so I fail to see why it was a league problem...Also explain the league reasoning for letting him leave at this juncture...Something isn't adding up
ichabod_crane

« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2020, 09:43:55 PM »

More due to the economy in Calgary than any lack of interest in the Stamps. Boom economy years are over here and getting worse to be honest. No Thanks to Pierre Junior who is not helping much! Wink
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2020, 09:45:23 PM »

More due to the economy in Calgary than any lack of interest in the Stamps. Boom economy years are over here and getting worse to be honest. No Thanks to Pierre Junior who is not helping much! Wink

Do us all a favour and leave politics out of it. There's no place for that crap here.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Jesse

« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2020, 11:56:34 PM »

The story was that Huff refused to release Roberson when the story broke...The league had no problem with others heading south for tryouts at that point so I fail to see why it was a league problem...Also explain the league reasoning for letting him leave at this juncture...Something isn't adding up

The league has nothing to do with him being released. That was Calgary's decision when the league couldn't follow through on making the NFL window happen.

Calgary did not want to release Roberson and held of as long as they could - so maybe Roberson got a little annoyed at them - but the league promised something that it didn't deliver on.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2020, 12:11:01 AM »

The league has nothing to do with him being released. That was Calgary's decision when the league couldn't follow through on making the NFL window happen.

Calgary did not want to release Roberson and held of as long as they could - so maybe Roberson got a little annoyed at them - but the league promised something that it didn't deliver on.

Not actually the CFL's fault, more a case of the NFL not cooperating.

"CFL players were supposedly granted the right to work out and sign for NFL teams as part of the new CBA signed back in May, through the re-introduction of something known as the NFL window. However, the NFL hasn?t signed off on conditions that come with that provision, which means players like Roberson are stuck in limbo."

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-payers-stuck-in-limbo-with-nfl-window-issues-unresolved-1.1408559
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: