Blue Bombers Forum
September 27, 2021, 03:28:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 70457 times)
bluebeard

« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2019, 03:31:13 PM »

I agree...and this bodes well for the CFL if this continues.  Everyone wants to watch offensive football even if defensive wins GC.
Blue In BC

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2019, 05:08:31 PM »

I agree...and this bodes well for the CFL if this continues.  Everyone wants to watch offensive football even if defensive wins GC.

Except we aren't sure what the long term results will be with this insane 2 QB rule. Most of the new young talent started as # 3 on their teams depth charts. Adams has been in the CFL since 2016. He only really got a starting gig after Pipkin got injured early.

If a team has an established # 1 QB another QB with talent may be invisible until an injury occurs.

A few QB's showed top talent in TC or whatever and moved up the depth chart early. That's not the norm though.

Arbuckle and Evans looked like they could be very good QB's for many seasons. Fajardo to a lesser degree IMO but still better than a long list of CFL failures.

What I've noticed with those 3 in particular is that they have young QB mentalities in that they tend to be higher risk / reward QB's. They throw deep more often than some veterans.

Once defenses figure out their strengths they adjust their strategies.

Take Jennings for example. His mobility allowed him to buy time and throw deep. Once teams learned to contain him in the pocket he had difficulties reading defenses in short and intermediate routes.

That's not an uncommon thing we see and starting a 2nd season becomes more difficult.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
ichabod_crane

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2019, 05:33:08 PM »

"Even the wunderkinds that come and "take the league by storm" don't win GCs.  I just checked, and guess what?  Flutie won his first GC in his 3rd year starting.  BLM won his first GC in his 3rd year starting.  The only QB I could remember in modern times coming close to winning a GC earlier was Ray, who won it in his 2nd year starting.  However, he did have the fortune of getting a GC start (and loss) in his first year due to Maas' injury.  If you can think of any other early-GC-win QBs in history, let me know.  Apart from those 3 prodigies, and maybe a couple I forgot, all the other GC winners have 6,7,8,9,10,11 CFL years under their belt before they win it all!"

Probably need to go back to the 1970's. Tom Clements won with Ottawa in 1976 which was only his 2nd year. Chuck Ealey was a rookie QB for the Tiger Cats in 1972 when they won the GC. He never lost a game as a college QB over three seasons, but the NFL never drafted him or gave him a look in those years as a QB. He only wanted to play QB so that is why he signed in the CFL.
Pigskin

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2019, 11:08:34 PM »

I sure hope the bombers can resign JA27. I was at JA27 fitness for my 3 month evaluation today. Smiley I don't think he wants to leave Winnipeg as he has built a nice little growing business here. Super dedicated young man. I won't go into his life story but you can check it out on his website, JA27 Fitness. 

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2019, 01:44:30 AM »

I sure hope the bombers can resign JA27. I was at JA27 fitness for my 3 month evaluation today. Smiley I don't think he wants to leave Winnipeg as he has built a nice little growing business here. Super dedicated young man. I won't go into his life story but you can check it out on his website, JA27 Fitness. 

I'd like to see Augustine stick around another year but I don't know if it's in his best interest, chances are this will be the year A.H. begins to decline or at least comes down with an injury that puts him on the IR for a few games.  It would be disappointing if Augustine followed Flanders footsteps and never got the chance to show he can play, also there is a reasonable chance he gets slotted below Oliveira due to his home town status if he stays in Wpg..
blue_or_die

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2019, 03:00:59 AM »

I'd like to see Augustine stick around another year but I don't know if it's in his best interest, chances are this will be the year A.H. begins to decline or at least comes down with an injury that puts him on the IR for a few games.  It would be disappointing if Augustine followed Flanders footsteps and never got the chance to show he can play, also there is a reasonable chance he gets slotted below Oliveira due to his home town status if he stays in Wpg..

Oh really?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Doublezero

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2019, 04:48:15 AM »

I hope Fajardo, Evans, Arbuckle, Adams, MBT and Streveler all turn into long tenured high caliber CFL QB's. It would be great for the league and entertainment. I am sure not all of them will.

But my 2 cents and that's all its worth is....Evans and Arbuckle are the two most likely to be the next great QB's of the list.
Prob not going to happen but I'd love to see a combo of MBT and Streveler here next year. They engineered 46 TDs and over 6000 yds of offense between them in 2019.

Just gimme the rock.
Pigskin

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2019, 05:00:27 AM »

That would be interesting. MBT 4024 yards, TD/26  Int/13, behind a terrible OL.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2019, 11:47:40 AM »

Probably need to go back to the 1970's. Tom Clements won with Ottawa in 1976 which was only his 2nd year. Chuck Ealey was a rookie QB for the Tiger Cats in 1972 when they won the GC. He never lost a game as a college QB over three seasons, but the NFL never drafted him or gave him a look in those years as a QB. He only wanted to play QB so that is why he signed in the CFL.

Thanks!  That's the info I was looking for.  So we now have 3 QBs who have won the GC in year 1 or year 2 since 1970.  And 2 more in year 3.  That's 50 years, 50 GC games.  That's why I think legit GC-sniffing teams (like HAM) will go with the vet over the 1-2 year guy (barring injury of course).  3 in 50 presents very bad odds, and your QB needs to be a Clements, Easley or Ray calibre QB to do it!  Yikes!

Ok Wally Buono.  AH declining in 2020.  Ha!  Have we not learned never to bet against Harris?

As for Augustine, he won't be a Flanders because he's NAT.  Even if AH got hurt, Flanders wasn't seeing the field because of ratio.  It would have taken an entire O rethink to play Flanders.  And we can carry both JA and Oliveira as long as as both are ELC/cheap.  Aren't they both?  2021 will be the problem... but if neither has really proven themselves in game reps, they may not command a big offer from any other team.

If we get to the point where we have to choose, we have to make sure Oliveira gets game reps so we can make an informed choice between the two!  Oliveira obviously has the hometown advantage, but not if he sucks compared to JA.  JA has shown very very well in his limited reps.

Prob not going to happen but I'd love to see a combo of MBT and Streveler here next year. They engineered 46 TDs and over 6000 yds of offense between them in 2019.

I've always said I liked MBT.  He's a nutso gun slinger who seems to have a lot of drive and heart.  I didn't think he'd fit with the MOS / Lapo style though.  But with a new OC, who knows, maybe he could fit in!  I think what MBT did behind the garbage TOR OL speaks way more than what Arbuckle did behind the impenetrable CGY OL.  However, the chance we don't take one (or both) of Nichols / Collaros is virtually zero IMHO.  If for some reason we don't have a #2, you could do worse than MBT, and he wouldn't cost much if he's not picked up by any other team.

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2019, 01:05:42 PM »

I am also secretly a huge fan of MBT. Toronto was hot garbage but man that guy can play QB. I was a little perplexed when the rumours about Pinball wanting to sign Collaros emerged. I figured they already had their guy and needed to clean up elsewhere.

Although, having Collaros as QB1 and MBT fully capable of stepping in if the unspeakable happens is also a very good QB approach.

booch

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »

Johnny really came on this year on his special teams work, so he has value on the roster and though in limited use, has shown he is more than capable of carrying the rock if need be...has a 6.5 yards per carry avg over 45 carries so he's no bum...I think we can find room for him on roster
dd

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2019, 02:07:13 PM »

I am also secretly a huge fan of MBT. Toronto was hot garbage but man that guy can play QB. I was a little perplexed when the rumours about Pinball wanting to sign Collaros emerged. I figured they already had their guy and needed to clean up elsewhere.

Although, having Collaros as QB1 and MBT fully capable of stepping in if the unspeakable happens is also a very good QB approach.
I always thought MBT was the best Ab the Argos had, the thing I couldn?t figure out, is why did they start franklin a bunch of times this year?? The guy was awful and guaranteed a loss yet they kept starting him ??
Blue In BC

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2019, 02:47:01 PM »

Winnipeg is the team that runs the most so I think this is where his best chance to get game reps will be. There will be games where we may want or need to rest AH. Either due to injury or game situation which allow back ups to play.

Being a National would allow that to happen. I'd sign him in a heartbeat. He showed very good skills and I can't see him as an expensive SMS addition.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
bomb squad

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2019, 03:54:02 PM »

"Even the wunderkinds that come and "take the league by storm" don't win GCs.  I just checked, and guess what?  Flutie won his first GC in his 3rd year starting.  BLM won his first GC in his 3rd year starting.  The only QB I could remember in modern times coming close to winning a GC earlier was Ray, who won it in his 2nd year starting.  However, he did have the fortune of getting a GC start (and loss) in his first year due to Maas' injury.  If you can think of any other early-GC-win QBs in history, let me know.  Apart from those 3 prodigies, and maybe a couple I forgot, all the other GC winners have 6,7,8,9,10,11 CFL years under their belt before they win it all!"

Sean Salisbury. 1988. Year 1.
blue_or_die

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2019, 04:15:49 PM »

The only reason I would have for not wanting Augustine back is that I don't want to hold him back from getting a better role. I think I can safely say that if Johnny left the Bombers for a chance to start somewhere else he would get nothing but love and good wishes. However, if that's not feasible AND we can retain both JA27 and Oliveira, that would be fantastic.

It wouldn't happen, but maybe we could take it easier on Andrew next year and preserve his body for the potentially 24 week-long schedule by throwing in Brady and/or Johnny more often. Not that Andrew seems to be susceptible to wear and tear since he is mostly machine.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: