Blue Bombers Forum
July 24, 2021, 12:44:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 63115 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2019, 05:21:00 PM »

I would be on board for giving AH33 a little load management thought out the course of a game. We don't have to run him into the ground.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2019, 05:32:28 PM »

Thanks!  That's the info I was looking for.  So we now have 3 QBs who have won the GC in year 1 or year 2 since 1970.  And 2 more in year 3.  That's 50 years, 50 GC games.  That's why I think legit GC-sniffing teams (like HAM) will go with the vet over the 1-2 year guy (barring injury of course).  3 in 50 presents very bad odds, and your QB needs to be a Clements, Easley or Ray calibre QB to do it!  Yikes!

Ok Wally Buono.  AH declining in 2020.  Ha!  Have we not learned never to bet against Harris?

As for Augustine, he won't be a Flanders because he's NAT.  Even if AH got hurt, Flanders wasn't seeing the field because of ratio.  It would have taken an entire O rethink to play Flanders.  And we can carry both JA and Oliveira as long as as both are ELC/cheap.  Aren't they both?  2021 will be the problem... but if neither has really proven themselves in game reps, they may not command a big offer from any other team.

If we get to the point where we have to choose, we have to make sure Oliveira gets game reps so we can make an informed choice between the two!  Oliveira obviously has the hometown advantage, but not if he sucks compared to JA.  JA has shown very very well in his limited reps.

Of course nobody ever wants to bet against A.H. but he'll be 33 in April, so eventually his decline must begin.....I would think!  If he was a heavier back that didn't rely on quickness as much I could see him playing till he's 40 but that's not the case, he's not that big and he takes a lot of punishment.  Maybe after a couple more G.C. belts he'll decide that's enough and he'll bow out on top.

As for Augustine I could see LaPo coveting him, he may be the first Bomber defection to the R.B.'s even though they're currently siting pretty deep with Import running backs.  I don't care where he goes, just want to see him get a chance to play and prove his worth, he deserves that.
blue_or_die

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2019, 06:15:24 PM »

Of course nobody ever wants to bet against A.H. but he'll be 33 in April, so eventually his decline must begin.....I would think!  If he was a heavier back that didn't rely on quickness as much I could see him playing till he's 40 but that's not the case, he's not that big and he takes a lot of punishment.  Maybe after a couple more G.C. belts he'll decide that's enough and he'll bow out on top.

The problem with this logic is, it?s the same logic Wally used 4 years ago when he dumped Harris.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »

If I was Augustine I wouldn't re-sign here. He has always looked good with his very limited opportunities but they have been very limited. Despite that, we'd run Harris at all costs and even used a high draft pick to select Olivera who appeared to be favoured before his injury. Augustine will be 27 by the start of next season and doesn't have the luxury to wait for a chance. He needs a chance and deserves one. There's got to be a team with a more open backfield that ours.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:31:31 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2019, 06:39:55 PM »

The problem with this logic is, it?s the same logic Wally used 4 years ago when he dumped Harris.

I don't know if that's the whole story, Harris definitely wanted to come home and Walters probably offered him more than Wally was willing to pay for a RB, Natl. or not.  Nobody ever talks about A.H.'s salary but he has to be the only RB in the league earning in the vicinity of $200,000/season.  Whatever he's earning it has been money well spent.
blue girl

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »

Every year we hear how this is the year that Andrew Harris is going to start declining and every year he doesn't. As long as he keeps in shape he should be okay.
blue_or_die

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »

I don't know if that's the whole story, Harris definitely wanted to come home and Walters probably offered him more than Wally was willing to pay for a RB, Natl. or not.  Nobody ever talks about A.H.'s salary but he has to be the only RB in the league earning in the vicinity of $200,000/season.  Whatever he's earning it has been money well spent.

Yeah I dunno what happened between him and Wally. What we do seem to know is Wally didn't think it was worth it to keep him on their roster, while we did. After 3 consecutive rushing titles culminating in a Grey Cup ring this year, Wally paid 750k-ish bones to a QB to not make the playoffs and suck a bunch of rocks.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2019, 08:58:58 PM »

Yeah I dunno what happened between him and Wally. What we do seem to know is Wally didn't think it was worth it to keep him on their roster, while we did. After 3 consecutive rushing titles culminating in a Grey Cup ring this year, Wally paid 750k-ish bones to a QB to not make the playoffs and suck a bunch of rocks.

Wally was gone, gone, gone, that is all on Hervey.
blue_or_die

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2019, 03:24:11 AM »

Wally was gone, gone, gone, that is all on Hervey.

Isn?t Wally still involved in the BC Lions org still?

TecnoGenius

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2019, 04:33:06 AM »

I always thought MBT was the best Ab the Argos had, the thing I couldn?t figure out, is why did they start franklin a bunch of times this year?? The guy was awful and guaranteed a loss yet they kept starting him ??

I think because Franklin was so highly valued that they had to give him a fair number of starts to see if he could prove his worth.  It makes sense before you ditch your most highly-touted "up and comer" QB.  If Franklin has a contract still, they should be shopping him to other teams pronto, because it's going to be a buyer's market this year.

But, yes, after Franklin's first start, everyone and their dog knew TOR had zero chance of winning when they named Franklin as starter any given week.  It was so hilarious in fantasy: if MBT was playing, TOR would have yards worthy of fantasy picks (and cheap!), if it was Franklin, avoid the whole team like the plague.

Sean Salisbury. 1988. Year 1.

Thanks!  Add one more.  You guys are a fountain of knowledge.  So that's 4, 2 in year 1, 2 in year 2.

I don't know if that's the whole story, Harris definitely wanted to come home and Walters probably offered him more than Wally was willing to pay for a RB, Natl. or not.

Maybe.  But Wally did explicitly say in some media that he thought AH was past his sell-by date (paraphrasing).  We'll never know what the main vs secondary driver of the decision was, if you go by his word, he gave up on Andrew way too early.

Never go full Rider!
Point of attack

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2019, 05:07:08 AM »

It was a little prickly between Wally and AH after rumours got out about some discontent regarding his role in the O and specifically the pass heavy balance in their scheme.
Wally had zero tolerance for that kind of ?input? from players and didn?t hesitate to move on from AH.
What?s interesting is he signed Charles Roberts when he was clearly past his best before date and he was totally ineffective as a Lion.
Jesse

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2019, 04:54:14 PM »

Isn?t Wally still involved in the BC Lions org still?

I think he's helping the Als pick a new GM actually.

My wife is amazing!
buckzumhoff

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2019, 12:40:04 AM »

BC didn't know how to run the ball. They were  just like they are now. Pass on every down and run only once in a while on first down.  The qb could have also been a reason, Lulay liked to take off when no one was open like Reilly and try to do it himself.
dd

« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2019, 05:06:56 AM »

It was a little prickly between Wally and AH after rumours got out about some discontent regarding his role in the O and specifically the pass heavy balance in their scheme.
Wally had zero tolerance for that kind of ?input? from players and didn?t hesitate to move on from AH.
What?s interesting is he signed Charles Roberts when he was clearly past his best before date and he was totally ineffective as a Lion.
They traded us the then league leading rusher joe smith for Charlie and both were busts for both teams  after the trade
Point of attack

« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2019, 09:11:21 PM »

They traded us the then league leading rusher joe smith for Charlie and both were busts for both teams  after the trade

Right. I?d forgotten the trade .
Clearly remember the dejected look on Charlie?s face sitting on the bench.
He knew it was over and it was hard to watch the sudden drop off of such a great player.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: