Blue Bombers Forum
September 26, 2021, 05:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020 Free Agents  (Read 70365 times)
DM83

« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2020, 07:33:42 AM »

I saw Zylstra play on the weekend for,the Panthers, I believe.  He dropped,a simple,curl.
I,would guess he is available this season for a,return to the CFL?

Thanks for the links for my question
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »

Hamilton Tiger-Cats
@Ticats
.@TicatsInsurance
 Player Transaction Alert:

We've released US wide receiver Bralon Addison (@BralonAddison2) so he can pursue opportunities in the @NFL

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2020, 05:58:58 PM »

Looks like 13 players from the 2019 free agent class signed NFL contracts last year. (none from the Bombers)
Well...I kind of expected there would be players trying their luck down south after winning the Cup....that's the price of success.   Hopefully our QB situation gets sorted out in our favour.....as for the D, well we have some holes to fill....biggest of all will be Jefferson but I'm happy for him and the fact that he was a major player for us and instrumental in winning our Cup!

Happy to have been in Calgary for our 2019 Grey Cup victory!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2020, 06:24:57 PM »

Willie didn?t sign yet did he.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
GCn19

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2020, 06:40:43 PM »

No he didn't.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2020, 06:49:21 PM »

No he didn't.
i meant in the NFL. It is a no. Got it. Thanks.

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2020, 08:26:54 PM »

He's only tried out for one team so far.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2020, 05:42:21 AM »

Is it just me or are there a lot of CFL players signing NFL contracts this year as opposed to other years?   

I guess it's inevitable but it doesn't  help the perception of the CFL as "second rate" in the minds of many Canadians to allow the NFL to skim off the cream or the crop without contributing anything to the long-term security or stability of the league.  Can't decide if "losers" or "patsies" is a more apt descriptor for the leadership of the league considering the the direction they've taken it. To quote Winston, "we will never surrender", unfortunately for the most part we already have.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2020, 07:21:32 AM »

I saw Zylstra play on the weekend for,the Panthers, I believe.  He dropped,a simple,curl.
I,would guess he is available this season for a,return to the CFL?

Drool drool drool (dream dream dream)...

I guess it's inevitable but it doesn't  help the perception of the CFL as "second rate" in the minds of many Canadians to allow the NFL to skim off the cream or the crop without contributing anything to the long-term security or stability of the league.

Ah, it's just the way it is.  The only thing that miffs me a bit is when they steal NATs (i.e. Kongbo).  NATs are a precious natural resource and NFL or near-NFL calibre players don't grow on trees.  Not to minimize IMP value, but good American players are a "dime a dozen".

I guess it's also slightly annoying when they pass over IMPs and we "discover" and develop them and a few years later the NFL steals them away.

C'est la vie.

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »

I guess it's inevitable but it doesn't  help the perception of the CFL as "second rate" in the minds of many Canadians to allow the NFL to skim off the cream or the crop without contributing anything to the long-term security or stability of the league.  Can't decide if "losers" or "patsies" is a more apt descriptor for the leadership of the league considering the the direction they've taken it. To quote Winston, "we will never surrender", unfortunately for the most part we already have.

Catch 22.

If we aren't lenient to players who get NFL opportunities, many will just not come to the CFL at all and we will not get to see that "cream" play.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2020, 04:12:15 PM »

Catch 22.

If we aren't lenient to players who get NFL opportunities, many will just not come to the CFL at all and we will not get to see that "cream" play.
agreed it sucks for the league either way. I guess it is better to have come here at least for 2-3 years.

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2020, 04:18:23 PM »

I found the recent Paul Friesen article on Willie kinda funny. He is deciding to only work out for the Dolphins because he expects to be signed. A younger version of Willie could not making numerous teams already over the last 4 years. He says he is a more well rounded player now? Seriously? He is banking on the more well rounded player tag to make the NFL. Hmmm NFL teams really think that about this guy at this point in his career? It will be interesting to say the least.

I really really don?t wanna see him go but if found the article kinda funny and almost pointless.

Blue In BC

« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2020, 05:12:01 PM »

Catch 22.

That may or not be true. The " cream " may have already failed earlier NFL tryouts or were undrafted.

Whether they were given early outs with the CFL CBA's or not they needed the CFL to show their talents.

There are 100's+ that don't get NFL offers and try the CFL to prolong their careers and / or eventually get NFL offers.

Other players come to the CFL and become stars and stay in the CFL for their entire careers.

It's unfortunate that we lose talent to the NFL each year but can't blame those players for wanting the big payday in their own country.

Realistically we don't see many of those that leave have extended NFL careers. Of course 1 year on an NFL roster is worth many in the CFL.

Hard to say how many that are leaving this off season won't be back by 2021 or sooner.

I wish them well and maybe they beat the odds. Sometimes it only takes one injury to make them starters.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blueraid

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2020, 06:09:23 PM »

Losing talent like we have is a set back....There's no guarantee we can replace any of them with the caliber of player that has left...I get that players want to make the most of their career's financially ...doesn't help the paying fans in this country and continuity is out the window,,,Some say there's a chance that the player will return (maybe) but will they return with the same zeal that they had trying to make the big time down south and failed...The whole situation is turning into a nightmare for the CFL...More and more empty seats every year as fans see us as nothing more than a 'showcase' for players trying to make it in another league..Our identity is being damaged and unless it's curtailed or the nfl has to offer us some compensation, the CFL is going to find itself in dire straights ..This talent drain can't continue
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »

Losing talent like we have is a set back....There's no guarantee we can replace any of them with the caliber of player that has left...I get that players want to make the most of their career's financially ...doesn't help the paying fans in this country and continuity is out the window,,,Some say there's a chance that the player will return (maybe) but will they return with the same zeal that they had trying to make the big time down south and failed...The whole situation is turning into a nightmare for the CFL...More and more empty seats every year as fans see us as nothing more than a 'showcase' for players trying to make it in another league..Our identity is being damaged and unless it's curtailed or the nfl has to offer us some compensation, the CFL is going to find itself in dire straights ..This talent drain can't continue
Well it?s been like this for a while. How do think Calgary feels the last number of years?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: