Blue Bombers Forum
June 17, 2021, 10:23:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lapo is the new head coach of the Redblacks  (Read 14279 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2019, 04:33:53 AM »

Wasn't his record in Winnipeg 16-28?
Cool Spot

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2019, 05:36:31 AM »

Wasn't his record in Winnipeg 16-28?

In 2010, his first year as head coach, the Bombers starting QB (Buck Pierce) got hurt early in the season and the Bombers relied on their backup the rest of the way. It was a bad season, finishing at 4-14. "However", a lot of their losses were close, suggesting they were only a few adjustments away from respectability.

In 2011, his second year, the Bombers finished 10-8, first in the east, but lost the Grey Cup to the BC Lions. This was the year of Swaggerville defense. The Bombers started the year much stronger than they finished, though.

In 2012, the Bombers stumbled out of the gate to a 2-6 record, at which point Paul LaPolice was let go from his duties. The Bombers went 4-6 the rest of the way to finish the season 6-12.

Altogether, his regular season regular was 16-28, as you stated.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2019, 05:58:04 AM »

All in all, he was not a great HC.  Lots of rookie mistakes with time management.  He is a much better OC. 
1chad

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2019, 01:12:53 PM »

All in all, he was not a great HC.  Lots of rookie mistakes with time management.  He is a much better OC. 

He had Joe Mack as a GM.  That alone should give him a pass.

Hope he does well in Ottawa, He could easily go after Arbuckle for his new QB and Dinwiddie for OC. 
blue_or_die

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »

I think many are overstating the driving force Lapo will have on players following him. If it was O'Shea leaving, I could see there being a case for it, but while Lapo is a great coach, he was an OC to our guys at the end of the day.

The only way I can see it being a problem for us is if Lapo offers some of our backups a starting role or something like that. If that's the case, I can stand losing a few backups. But given the choice between going to a tire fire or sticking around with the same organization that just won you a ring, you've gotta think the choice wouldn't be too hard.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2019, 01:45:29 PM »

Players will follow the $$.  Don't blame them one bit - no guarantees contracts, violent sport...get the most you can...coaches and environment play a role in signing FA's and extensions but for some $$ is king. 

I think Free Agent Frenzy will be fun to watch again...QB can make or break your team and there will be some changes unless Hamilton, Calgary and Winnipeg re-sign Masoli, Arbuckle and Nichols - then the pickings get slimmer and someone will be left with duds/scraps...
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2019, 02:58:40 PM »

His record was comparable to MOS in the first two years....and in his second year he had an Eastern final win and an appearance in the GC!   Now that MOS has brought us to the promised land, after 6 years we seem to forget all his mistakes made as a rookie and an experienced coach.

Will he be as good a HC as MOS?   LaPo will have benefitted working for MOS and I'm sure he has learned from his past mistakes.   Only time will tell if he succeeds however I'm thinking he will do well given enough time, and he did sign a 3 year contract for what it's worth.

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2019, 03:38:26 PM »

I think Lapo can be a fine HC...like always the talent the coaches have will play a big part in the success or failure...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2019, 03:49:39 PM »

I think Lapo can be a fine HC...like always the talent the coaches have will play a big part in the success or failure...

I'm sure he's learned a lot from Mike O'Shea. There's a lot more to being a great head coach than X's and O's. That is LaPo's strength but maybe he can let some of that go and focus on the big picture. Last time around, there was always that tug of war between him calling plays and being a HC and OC in one. Hopefully he's learned from that. It will be interesting to see what he does.
the paw

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2019, 04:32:38 PM »

I'm sure he's learned a lot from Mike O'Shea. There's a lot more to being a great head coach than X's and O's. That is LaPo's strength but maybe he can let some of that go and focus on the big picture. Last time around, there was always that tug of war between him calling plays and being a HC and OC in one. Hopefully he's learned from that. It will be interesting to see what he does.

Lapo is more mature, and he is very smart.  The fact that he used a year of his sabbatical doing a professional development tour in the US speaks to the fact he just didn't stand still.    The fact that he didn't throw an Elizondo hissy fit when he couldn't interview for the Riders speaks to his integrity and judgement.

I think Lapo's coaching last time was better than the record showed, and I think he will be even better this time.  Just so long as he gets an actual QB, and maybe a real receiver to replace Caleb Holley, then Ottawa will be competitive next year. 

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2019, 04:50:39 PM »

Like most members here, I was hopeful we could get the whole gang back together for another cup run.  He was probably the most qualified for the OTT and EDM positions, just hoped that he'd fall through the cracks.  3 year deal in a SMS is good news for Lapo, means he has job security, probably a huge thing in his considerations.  If you are going to uproot your family, it had better be for at least 3 years...

MOS and Hall still are not under contract, removing Lapo's salary will make signing MOS easier (I hope), Buck (or whoever we hire) will be cheaper, for sure. 

Maas was an upgrade on McAdoo in SSK, not sure if McAdoo is a consideration for our OC spot if Buck follows Lapo.  He made Fajardo look decent last year... 

We need to get MOS signed to a deal asap. so that the rest of the pieces fall into place.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2019, 05:09:10 PM »

I saw a tweet this morning that there are rumblings out of Toronto that Pinball may be reassessing his coaching staff. The Bombers need to lock in MOS right now and not open the door to him taking on the Toronto job. I agree with an earlier poster who suggested that Buck as OC will cost less than LaPo as OC did. Those savings can easily sweeten the pot for MOS. Have to get that done as our safety valve replacement is now gone.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
booch

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »

Well if it got late in the off-season...and Osh walked...And candidates were all snapped up..I'd go with Hall to be honest..players loved him to no end like Harris was..he relates a lot better to the American players and has huge respect...Even if Lapo wasn't hired a way and we lost Oshea...I would hope we gave the job to Hall.

Not to say Lapo doesn't garner respect, or relate to players, just Hall would be the better choice and is a bit better with those intangibles
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2019, 05:22:46 PM »

I saw a tweet this morning that there are rumblings out of Toronto that Pinball may be reassessing his coaching staff. The Bombers need to lock in MOS right now and not open the door to him taking on the Toronto job. I agree with an earlier poster who suggested that Buck as OC will cost less than LaPo as OC did. Those savings can easily sweeten the pot for MOS. Have to get that done as our safety valve replacement is now gone.
This is the fallout after winning a Grey Cup.....it would be good for the Bomber organization to sign MOS sooner than later.....Pin Ball loves MOS and the longer this drags on the more uneasy I start to feel.   Players would follow MOS wherever he ends up hanging his hat!!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
theaardvark

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »

Well if it got late in the off-season...and Osh walked...And candidates were all snapped up..I'd go with Hall to be honest..players loved him to no end like Harris was..he relates a lot better to the American players and has huge respect...Even if Lapo wasn't hired a way and we lost Oshea...I would hope we gave the job to Hall.

Not to say Lapo doesn't garner respect, or relate to players, just Hall would be the better choice and is a bit better with those intangibles

I love Hall as DC, and I think it is just the right amount of work/stress for him.  Not sure he would thrive in the big chair.  And definitely would have been behind Lapo in the promotion in my books...

MOS is top priority, for sure. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: