Blue Bombers Forum
June 17, 2021, 11:04:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lapo is the new head coach of the Redblacks  (Read 14288 times)
bwiser

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 12:27:54 AM »

Good luck to him....he inherited a bit of a tire fire but in the CFL you can rebuild fairly quickly!   I'm wondering if we promote from within (Buck) or get on board the coaches carousel?   Does anyone have insider information on how Buck might make the transition to OC?
Buck worked closely with LaPolice so I would think the Bombers would want that kind of continuity so the offense doesn't have to learn a whole new playbook.
Jesse

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 12:54:15 AM »

I wonder if Nichols really is a Lapo type QB. The playbook looked a bit different when Colaros was behind center.

Collaros said he had input. They probably changed things up a bit so he could be more successful.

My wife is amazing!
Blue72

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 01:03:39 AM »

Would Buck be in charge of the receivers and also be a OC? Big step from being just a QB coach.

Now we just have to get something from MOS as TO can still talk him into being there HC which would leave us with NO one. Plus most of our defensive coaches are friends of MOS also.

So as of now we don't have a OC and also a receivers coach so far. The grey cup is over now and teams are starting there pick for coaches now especially Ottawa and Edmonton and maybe BC. Lets hope we don't wait to long Mr. Walters.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 01:23:06 AM »

Congrats to one of the best in the business.  Wasn't a huge fan earlier in his career but he has developed nicely.  We were very lucky to have him for as long as he did.  Lets hope his legacy lives on with the current players and coaching staff.  Happy for Ottawa.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
RebusRankin

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 02:21:49 AM »

Good luck to him. Tough situation though as Ottawa lacks talent and Desjardens seems to be a jerk.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 02:38:25 AM »

Dunk is reporting a 3 year deal for Lapo
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 02:49:44 AM »

Good luck to him. Tough situation though as Ottawa lacks talent and Desjardens seems to be a jerk.
Yep Edmonton is a far better situation. The Campbell reaction was not a Great endorsement for the GM.

Hope Lapo knows what he is doing. This is likely his last shot should he fail again.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 04:26:26 AM »

Very sad to see Lapo go.  I really liked our group of guys, as KW/MOS had assembled a good crew over the years, with tweaks here and there.  But GC wins tend to have a way of sucking away guys you want to keep.

On the flipside, really happy for Lapo: he gets to live the dream again.  I guess the money bump was massive enough to be an offer he couldn't refuse.  And it's nice he's not in the West so we don't have to hate him as much if he starts winning and beating our butts.

You guys are right: now the scary situation is who does he take with him.  However, I think this solves everyone's QB problem with Lapo taking Collaros while we keep Nichols.  (Or the other way around; but I doubt it.)

This is where the "MOS locker room" effect really will help us!  The guys like Lapo, but they run through walls for MOS.  If we want a player, he'll stay with MOS, not run away with Lapo.  Lapo might take our discards though.  And I can't see Buck leaving, or hopefully our OL coach.

No matter what happens, it's going to be a tough rebuild year for Lapo and OTT.  It'll be fun to watch!

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 04:54:39 AM »

Please Lord, don't have us hire McAdoo!!  Getting Buck in there as OC seems the best choice, and we can reduce our OC salary quite a ton doing that (as a 1st year OC).  And please no Chapedelaine either!!

Now I think the pressure is on to keep Hall.  After slowly building to the championship team/coaches we have, you don't want to tip the boat with too many changes.

Never go full Rider!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 05:32:10 AM »

Just an uneducated point of view but I believe Buck has earned his dues and should be our next OC.  He is familiar with the system and Coach O'Shea.  He is offence oriented and a leader. By all accounts he is a Blue Bomber and a Winnipeg-er.  I'm hoping Buck Pierce is our man going forward and the new OC.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2019, 06:37:12 AM »

Would Buck be in charge of the receivers and also be a OC? Big step from being just a QB coach.

Now we just have to get something from MOS as TO can still talk him into being there HC which would leave us with NO one. Plus most of our defensive coaches are friends of MOS also.

So as of now we don't have a OC and also a receivers coach so far. The grey cup is over now and teams are starting there pick for coaches now especially Ottawa and Edmonton and maybe BC. Lets hope we don't wait to long Mr. Walters.

The Argos haven't fired Chamblin yet....although realistically they could be waiting until one week before TC opens to can his *** and accept applications for his replacement.
Rouge2019

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2019, 07:11:54 AM »

I have mixed emotions about this.  First, congratulations to Lapo.  He is a decent guy and I wish him and his family all the best. 

However, he kind of lost me along the way in his first HC stint and with some of the "play not to lose" play calling in the latest stint as OC, where we would lose games because the offence took its foot off of the gas and went away from what was working.  Too many second half 2 and outs with a run into the middle of the line and followed by an unsuccessful deep shot. 

I think that Buck can and would do a good job as OC, and this may be an opportunity to open up the offence a bit more.  However, we still need to re-sign the Head Coach and an experienced quarterback first  Wink
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 07:55:17 AM »

Would be interesting to see who Ottawa goes after to be their QB.  There is plenty of options out there.  Masoli, Arbuckle, Nichols, Streveler, Collaros, etc...  LaPolice will fix the Ottawa offence and they will be a powerhouse again.  Does Pierce get a promotion...  I would think so.  He deserves it.  Is he up to the task?  You won't know unless you try.  I think he should be okay if we can keep at least one veteran QB in Nichols or Collaros.
In Motion

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2019, 08:03:31 AM »

I've always loved Buck Pierce and think he deserves a shot at OC. The only reservation I have is...
is he a fast enough thinker and talker? Those play choices have to be made and delivered in seconds.
I'm not questioning his intelligence/football IQ one bit... just the speed of his calls and communicating them quickly.

This interview was some time ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VveQ0qOJnLU

His recent interviews are much more up to speed.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 08:18:12 AM by In Motion » Logged
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »

I think they would hire a receivers coach and hopefully a QB coach. Maybe a rookie QB coach that could take away some of Buck's current responsibilities so he can focus most of his time being the OC.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: