Blue Bombers Forum
May 24, 2022, 05:02:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2019-2020  (Read 156314 times)
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #330 on: January 31, 2020, 06:14:56 PM »

BLUE BOMBERS EXTEND CONTRACT OF LONGEST-SERVING BLUE BOMBER JAKE THOMAS

WINNIPEG, MB., January 31, 2020 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has extended the contract (one year) of national defensive tackle Jake Thomas. Thomas was scheduled to be a free agent next month, and will now return for his ninth season in Blue and Gold.

Thomas has recorded 114 defensive tackles, 18 sacks, three forced fumbles and one interception in 137 games played throughout his eight seasons with Winnipeg. In 2019, Thomas recorded a career-best five sacks while also registering 22 defensive tackles and appearing in all 18 games and all three playoff games. Thomas was originally drafted by the Bombers 29th overall in the 2012 CFL Draft.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/01/31/blue-bombers-extend-contract-longest-serving-blue-bomber-jake-thomas/

Blue In BC

« Reply #331 on: January 31, 2020, 08:38:48 PM »

Just a guess but IMO Nevis is the next player we re-sign probably by Monday or Tuesday.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Adams tests the free agency marketplace. I don't see us being outbid so realistically I expect him back. Unless Lapo makes a strong play for him.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_or_die

« Reply #332 on: January 31, 2020, 08:59:47 PM »

Just a guess but IMO Nevis is the next player we re-sign probably by Monday or Tuesday.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Adams tests the free agency marketplace. I don't see us being outbid so realistically I expect him back. Unless Lapo makes a strong play for him.

I expect Nevis to sign, but not before FA day.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #333 on: January 31, 2020, 09:15:50 PM »

I expect Nevis to sign, but not before FA day.

With the new window pre-FA day, everyone will know what they can get well before, so no reason to wait unless they are going to sign elsewhere... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #334 on: February 01, 2020, 05:33:24 PM »

The list of potential veteran QB's has shrunk quite a bit recently. At this point I'm expecting McGuire as our # 2 and a rookie or two competing in TC for a PR spot.

There don't seem to exactly be any practical solutions to improve our depth at the moment. If Nichols signs in Toronto MBT may be available but I'm not a fan and guessing he'd be $200K+.

I wonder what our budget limit is for our # 2? I'd be ok giving that kind of money to Streveler because of his uniqueness and possible upside. Regardless I'm not sure we can afford that without giving up something somewhere.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #335 on: February 01, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »

Other than Streveler, I don't think there is a QB available or coming available that we are better off with than McGuire.  A year in the system, familiarity with Buck.... bringing in a QB with CFL experience sounds nice, but it might be more disruptive than productive.  Buck is a first year OC, continuity is going to be huge.  Oline, RB's, QB's, most of the rec corps all returning is great.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #336 on: February 01, 2020, 06:36:11 PM »

Other than Streveler, I don't think there is a QB available or coming available that we are better off with than McGuire.  A year in the system, familiarity with Buck.... bringing in a QB with CFL experience sounds nice, but it might be more disruptive than productive.  Buck is a first year OC, continuity is going to be huge.  Oline, RB's, QB's, most of the rec corps all returning is great.

Your infatuation with McGuire is interesting...Goltz II

Blue In BC

« Reply #337 on: February 01, 2020, 06:36:20 PM »

It's a good theory but it's only a theory. McGuire may turn out well or might even get beat out by a rookie in TC

I've never seen him practice and our sample size is zero.

Remember there were those saying that Bennett was going to be the next good thing. Not so much.

OTOH I wouldn't want to spend $200K+ on a # 2 if his name isn't Streveler. We know what he brings. Even then can we afford it practically?

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #338 on: February 01, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »

McGuire hung on as a rookie behind Nicols/Collaros and Streveler.  Bennett was expendable then, and was picked up and stuck with SSK. 

Until either gets some real game action, we don't know if they are the deal. 

We did see some McGuire in the preseason, 12/19...  with just TC under his belt, showing well enough to stick.

We will see if he makes the next step with Buck in charge and a year of CFL under his belt...

Blue In BC

« Reply #339 on: February 01, 2020, 07:04:13 PM »

McGuire hung on as a rookie behind Nicols/Collaros and Streveler.  Bennett was expendable then, and was picked up and stuck with SSK. 

Until either gets some real game action, we don't know if they are the deal. 

We did see some McGuire in the preseason, 12/19...  with just TC under his belt, showing well enough to stick.

We will see if he makes the next step with Buck in charge and a year of CFL under his belt...

Doesn't prove much. If a # 3 isn't moving up chances are he's moving out. His SMS would have been higher than McGuire.

Not every # 3 will see game action before he's released. TC goes a long way to determine what happens. Not having an injury injury limiting TC as well.

I'm not dissing McGuire just saying the fact we kept him over Bennett doesn't say much.

We had D. Davis on the roster for 3 seasons. Dressed for 47 game but only started 1. Joined the infamous Brohms, Marve and Lefevour as also rans.

Davis is 8 and 15 career TD / int. Now that Arbuckle is signed I'd expect Davis to be released shortly.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 07:09:58 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TecnoGenius

« Reply #340 on: February 03, 2020, 06:30:42 AM »

We had D. Davis on the roster for 3 seasons. Dressed for 47 game but only started 1. Joined the infamous Brohms, Marve and Lefevour as also rans.

Don't pick on my Lefeve and Marve!  Lefeve was hands down our best SY QB ever.  Marve was also very good at the sneak.  I'm Feve's #1 fan.

I'm pretty sure the WFC plans around having a "SY guy" who they know is likely not a legit #1, and they don't care.  Then they have another, development, "real" QB.

I'm pretty sure McGuire makes a good sneaker... now can he also be one of those rare beasts who can also turn into a legit #1?

Never go full Rider!
booch

« Reply #341 on: February 03, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »

I have to side with Aardvark...From what I have seen in pre-seson...practice and limited game reps....he will be a very serviceable back-up with more upside than Strev's...and better than any one who is gonna be available...and looking like that this is gonna be the case now with Strev about to be released
Blue In BC

« Reply #342 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:01 PM »

I have to side with Aardvark...From what I have seen in pre-seson...practice and limited game reps....he will be a very serviceable back-up with more upside than Strev's...and better than any one who is gonna be available...and looking like that this is gonna be the case now with Strev about to be released

I hope so, just saying very limited sample size to make any real judgement. Many a rookie QB has looked good in early days and flamed out. Others took a few seasons to be successful.

Given the options available their SMS costs McGuire seems to be the best current option.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
ichabod_crane

« Reply #343 on: February 03, 2020, 09:14:55 PM »

Your infatuation with McGuire is interesting...Goltz II

Can't miss with TJ Rubley III! Wink Cheesy
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #344 on: February 03, 2020, 10:29:19 PM »

Transactions:

2020-02-03   WPG   BROXTON, Jarell   OL   N   Baylor   Add To   Active Roster
2020-02-03   WPG   LAWRENCE, Kevin   OL   N   Rhode Island   Add To   Active Roster
2020-02-03   WPG   STREVELER, Chris   QB   A   South Dakota   Delete From Active   Free Agent

Blue Bombers release quarterback Chris Streveler to pursue NFL opportunities

WINNIPEG, MB., February 3, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has released quarterback Chris Streveler in order for him to further pursue NFL opportunities.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/02/03/streveler-released-pursue-nfl-opportunities/
by Ed Tait

Former CFL QB Chris Streveler signs with Arizona Cardinals

By Justin Dunk - February 3, 2020

Former CFL quarterback Chris Streveler has signed with the Arizona Cardinals, per NFL sources.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers released Streveler to pursue NFL opportunities. He visited Arizona in December and worked out for the Cardinals in January.

The 24-year-old Streveler threw for 2,698 yards in two seasons with the Bombers along with 19 touchdowns and 19 interceptions. He has rushed for 1,167 yards and 22 touchdowns averaging 5.7 yards per carry.

Streveler was especially effective for Winnipeg during the 2019 CFL championship run in the post-season. He rushed for 82 yards and a touchdown in the West Semi-Final in Calgary and threw a touchdown pass to Andrew Harris in the Grey Cup.

The University of South Dakota product has drawn comparisons to New Orleans Saints' quarterback Taysom Hill as an explosive athlete who can attack defences with his arm and legs. He runs a 4.45-second 40-yard dash, posted a 38.5-inch vertical, and fired off a 10-foot, five-inch broad jump ? all at six-foot-two, 209 pounds.

Each of the three testing results would have been top among all quarterbacks who attended the 2018 NFL Combine. But take the QB position designation away for a second, and those numbers would be high among any skill position group - and they are certainly elite for signal callers.

Every single NFL franchise had a representative at Streveler's pro day in March 2018 and he worked out privately for the Chicago Bears but went unselected in the 2018 NFL Draft - he actually turned down NFL rookie mini-camp invites to sign in Winnipeg.

Streveler was a captain and led the Coyotes to the FCS playoffs for the first time in program history as a senior. He completed 65.7 per cent of his passes for 4,134 yards, 32 touchdowns against eight interceptions while rushing for 720 yards and 11 touchdowns on 168 carries (4.3 yards-per-carry-average) during 13 games in his senior season for South Dakota.

Streveler joins a Cardinals team that starts 2019 No. 1 NFL draft pick Kyle Murray at quarterback. Arizona has Brett Hundley as their current backup QB. He was selected in the fifth round pick, 147th overall of the 2015 NFL draft. Undrafted free agent passer Drew Anderson is the other pivot on the Cardinals roster. Head coach Kliff Kingsbury likes Streveler as a quarterback. Although, Kingsbury is known for having an innovative and creative approach on offence.

https://3downnation.com/2020/02/03/bombers-release-qb-chris-streveler-to-pursue-nfl-opportunities/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:39:23 AM by gobombersgo » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: