Blue Bombers Forum
May 24, 2022, 05:06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2019-2020  (Read 156322 times)
Jesse

« Reply #315 on: January 24, 2020, 06:25:28 PM »

Nelson hung around, but wasn't used.  You don't re-sign a guy if you aren't going to use him... 

YEAR   TEAM GP    REC  ATT    YDS    YAC    TD    AVG    LG
2018   WPG    1      3    3      35       30        0    11.7    19
2019   WPG    4      1    1      4       -4        0    4.0    4

He has a 100% catch rate... Wink

This is one of those time where it seems like you're looking at the guys player page without watching the games.

2018 was his first year, he got into the final game of the year as we were resting other guys and gave him some live reps.

2019, he was playing to start the year, had his best game to date, but got injured.

Now we've re-signed him. Again, it seems like he was always in the plans, so not sure where you got some difference in opinion between Lapo and Buck.

My wife is amazing!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »

Nelson hung around, but wasn't used.  You don't re-sign a guy if you aren't going to use him... 

It certainly doesn't mean you have grand plans for him either. They probably like his work ethic and attitude and figure he'll have a chance to make the team. You never know what may happen in the off-season and training camp. Might be as simple as wanting good, tough competition in camp.
theaardvark

« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2020, 08:27:23 PM »

It certainly doesn't mean you have grand plans for him either. They probably like his work ethic and attitude and figure he'll have a chance to make the team. You never know what may happen in the off-season and training camp. Might be as simple as wanting good, tough competition in camp.

On the other hand, a player doesn't sign a deal if he has other options and is only going to be TC fodder... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #318 on: January 27, 2020, 10:46:08 PM »

BLUE BOMBERS AGREE TO TERMS WITH QUARTERBACK ZACH COLLAROS

WINNIPEG, MB., January , 2020 -  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms with Grey Cup winning quarterback Zach Collaros on a two-year contract extension. Collaros was scheduled to be a free agent next month.

Collaros, 31, started four games last season for Winnipeg, winning all four and leading the team to a Grey Cup title. His first start came October 25 against Calgary, where he went 22 of 28 for 221 yards and two touchdowns while leading the offence on a game-winning drive in the final moments.

Collaros went on to start all three playoff games and finished the 2019 postseason completing 45 of his 69 pass attempts for 630 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Prior to joining Winnipeg, Collaros led the Saskatchewan Roughriders to a 10-4 mark in 2018, a season in which he threw for 2,999 yards and nine touchdowns while also rushing 24 times for 103 yards.

A native of Steubenville, OH, Collaros was first signed by the Argos in 2012 after an outstanding college career at Cincinnati, where he appeared in 41 games for the Bearcats, including 25 starts. He spent the 2012 and 2013 seasons with the Argos - going 5-3 as a starter in 2013 - before signing with the Tiger-Cats as a free agent in 2014.

Hamilton held a record of 16-9 in games in which Collaros started in 2015-16 and he had his best season as a pro in 2015 when he was a Most Outstanding Player candidate before a season-ending knee injury. That year, Collaros threw for 3,376 yards with 25 touchdowns and eight interceptions while appearing in just 12 games. He had 2,938 yards passing and a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 18:8 in just 10 games in 2016, and started eight games with the Ticats in 2017, with eight touchdowns and 1,767 yards passing.

Collaros was traded by the Ticats to Saskatchewan in January of 2018 for a second-round draft pick and then re-signed by the Riders in February of this year. Collaros started Saskatchewan?s opener against Hamilton this season, but was injured on the first drive. He was then traded back to the Argos on July 31st for a conditional fourth-round draft pick in 2020.

Throughout his CFL career, Collaros has thrown for 16,979 yards and 94 touchdowns. Collaros was originally acquired by Winnipeg in a trade deadline deal with the Toronto Argonauts in 2019.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/01/27/blue-bombers-agree-terms-quarterback-zach-collaros/

QB Zach Collaros can earn nearly $1 million from new contract with Bombers
By Justin Dunk -  January 27, 2020

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed quarterback Zach Collaros to a contract extension which could total nearly $1 million.

General manager Kyle Walters paid Collaros $440,000 in hard money for 2020 and $450,000 in 2021. Each year Collaros can make an additional $50,000 in playtime bonuses. For every game he plays 51 percent or more of the offensive snaps Collaros collects $2,777.77. The signing bonus checks in at $225,000.

Collaros earned $310,000 in hard money last season - $115,000 in base salary and $20,000 in housing combined with a $175,000 signing bonus. He was given a substantial pay raise of more than $130,000 in hard money year over year. Winnipeg decided to focus their efforts on inking Collaros to a new pact over fellow veteran QB Matt Nichols.

Nichols collected $455,000 in 2019 - a $225,000 roster bonus which was paid on January 15, $209,000 base salary and $21,000 combined for housing and travel. However, he sustained what Winnipeg described as a "significant shoulder injury" last August when he was strip-sacked by B.C. Lions defensive lineman Shawn Lemon.

Walters acquired Collaros at the trade deadline and it paid off with the veteran quarterback producing a 4-0 record, including three wins in the playoffs en route to hoisting Earl Grey's mug. Collaros was the starter who propelled Winnipeg to the run through the end of the season, playoffs and ultimately a Grey Cup championship. Bombers? head coach Mike O'Shea saw Collaros as 'the guy' during the victories which led to a CFL title.

Winnipeg sent their third-round choice in the 2020 CFL draft to the Toronto Argos for Collaros and a fifth-round selection during the October deadline. Now that the Bombers re-signed Collaros, Toronto receives an additional first-round pick, ninth overall in the 2020 CFL draft.

Collaros has amassed a 35-31 win-loss record while completing 65 percent of his passes for 16,979 yards and 94 touchdowns against 52 interceptions in 92 games over eight seasons. During three post-season games with the Bombers, Collaros totalled 630 passing yards, two touchdowns, one interception while completing 65 percent of his attempts.

The Bombers have heavily invested in Collaros as the starter at the game's most important position for the next two seasons.

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/27/qb-zach-collaros-can-earn-nearly-1-million-from-new-contract-with-bombers/

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2020, 10:57:46 PM »

Transactions:

2020-01-28   WPG   NICHOLS, Matt   QB   A   Eastern Washington   Delete From Active   Free Agent

Bombers release quarterback Matt Nichols

Winnipeg Blue Bombers general manager Kyle Walters has released quarterback Matt Nichols.

Following the signing of QB Zach Collaros to a two-year contract extension, Nichols has hit the open market.

All three Winnipeg quarterbacks - Collaros, Nichols and Chris Streveler - were scheduled to hit the free agent market on February 11. With Streveler exploring NFL options and likely to sign a contract south of the border, the Bombers' choices for a No. 1 option at QB were narrowed to two. Winnipeg decided to focus their efforts on inking Collaros to a new contract.

Nichols left Winnipeg's Week 10 win against B.C. last season favouring his right arm and shoulder. He was hurt when Shawn Lemon strip-sacked the QB in the fourth quarter of the Bombers' 32-16 victory.

The 32-year-old went for an MRI and was placed on the six-game injured list. Winnipeg head coach Mike O'Shea originally said he expected Nichols to be ready for a return after four-to-six weeks. But after further examination, it was determined Nichols needed a procedure done on September 26, 2019.

"After rehabbing conservatively for a period of six weeks, it was determined by the medical team that surgery would be required and a return to the field this season would not be possible. Nichols underwent successful surgery this afternoon."

As Nichols has stated, he plans to be 100 percent healthy prior to training camps opening in May for the 2020 season.

Nichols had an impressive 15-5 touchdown to interception ratio, but didn't eclipsed the 300-yard mark in 2019. The six-foot-two, 211-pound passer was playing consistent football, completing more than 71 per cent of his passes when he was on the field. Streveler was the starter until the final game of the regular season when Collaros took over and led the Bombers to their first Grey Cup championship in 29 years.

Through 10 CFL seasons, Nichols has passed for 18,363 yards, 108 touchdowns versus 60 interceptions while completing 66 percent of his attempts. He's added 617 yards on 140 carries with 13 touchdowns on the ground.

Nichols had a career-best season in 2016 passing for 3,666 yards with 18 touchdowns against nine interceptions. One year later, Nichols reset those totals, throwing for 4,472 yards and 28 touchdowns with just eight interceptions. However, during 2018, Nichols' numbers were down with 3,146 yards and 18 touchdowns against 13 interceptions.

Nichols flourished under former Bombers' offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice who was named head coach of the Ottawa Redblacks in December. Expect the Redblacks and Toronto Argonauts to check in about signing Nichols.

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/28/bombers-release-quarterback-matt-nichols/

Nic16

« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2020, 03:52:37 PM »

Didn?t know where to put this post so I decided to put it here.

This is not a Matt bashing, but I think Matt (& some fans) are forgetting that Matt had a below average 2018 season for a QB1, and in 2019 he started out hot thanks to a weak schedule. Then this happened:

1. Loss to Hamilton because the offence couldn?t move the ball after Masoli went down early in the game.
*MN threw 3 INT?s.

2. Loss to Argos because the offence couldn?t move the ball in the 2nd half.
*MN threw for 169 yds and 1 TD.

3. Loss to CGY - led by Arbuckle.
*MN threw for 177 yds and no TDS.

4. Started out hot vs BC until the Shawn Lemon season ending (and possibly QB1 status ending) sack.

Unfortunately, a good part of the blame is put on Nichols himself for his release. His inability to escape pressure, a very average 2018, the 3 games leading up to the season ending shoulder surgery (to his throwing arm), and add in the departure of the Game Managers Puppet Master - LaPo, surely would have helped the BB make their decision.
GCn19

« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2020, 04:24:38 PM »

This is not a Matt bashing, but I think Matt (& some fans) are forgetting that Matt had a below average 2018 season for a QB1, and in 2019 he started out hot thanks to a weak schedule. Then this happened:

1. Loss to Hamilton because the offence couldn?t move the ball after Masoli went down early in the game.
*MN threw 3 INT?s.

4. Started out hot vs BC until the Shawn Lemon season ending (and possibly QB1 status ending) sack.

Unfortunately, a good part of the blame is put on Nichols himself for his release. His inability to escape pressure, a very average 2018, the 3 games leading up to the season ending shoulder surgery (to his throwing arm), and add in the departure of the Game Managers Puppet Master - LaPo, surely would have helped the BB make their decision.

The Hamilton loss I am right there with you. But the Toronto loss and Calgary loss were on the defence mainly.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Nic16

« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »

The Hamilton loss I am right there with you. But the Toronto loss and Calgary loss were on the defence mainly.

I agree with you on the D in the Toronto loss, but Nichols has to hold some responsibility in failing to move the O when needed in the 2nd half. Find a way to kill some clock and get the ball into Medlock range a few times to stem the tide and rest the D to pull out a victory.

The Calgary loss was the 3rd in a row of a very familiar downhill slide, and more proof of his inability to move the O thru the air against a good defence.

Game Manager/Checkdown Charlie needed the help of a bulldozer when the O hit a wall. But, I think we all know Matty much preferred attempting to run thru the wall himself. Going into 2019 he said he felt in the best shape of his life and that he won?t hesitate to run. Problem was, he was no Strev and that knee injury sustained in 2018 took whatever speed he had - which wasn?t much.
blue_or_die

« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »

*MN threw 3 INT?s.

We didn't lose this game.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Nic16

« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2020, 08:52:30 PM »

We didn't lose this game.

Thanks I stand corrected. I mixed up the game we to BLM.

The August game we won thanks to a great play by Hallet in the 4th Q and Rose with the timely INT near center field to snuff out a late drive by Calgary. Harris also had a good game...was it not his last before the suspension...??
blue_or_die

« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2020, 09:00:51 PM »

Thanks I stand corrected. I mixed up the game we to BLM.

The August game we won thanks to a great play by Hallet in the 4th Q and Rose with the timely INT near center field to snuff out a late drive by Calgary. Harris also had a good game...was it not his last before the suspension...??

I believe he played the BC home game the following week, where Nichols played his last game as a Bomber. Harris also played the week after against Edmonton, and I'm pretty sure that's when the suspension broke and was served over the LDC and Banjo Bowl.

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #326 on: January 31, 2020, 04:35:46 AM »

Blue Bombers Transactions - January 30, 2020

WINNIPEG, MB., January 30, 2020 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Released from roster:
National defensive back Dexter Janke

Blue In BC

« Reply #327 on: January 31, 2020, 02:17:09 PM »

I agree with you on the D in the Toronto loss, but Nichols has to hold some responsibility in failing to move the O when needed in the 2nd half. Find a way to kill some clock and get the ball into Medlock range a few times to stem the tide and rest the D to pull out a victory.

The Calgary loss was the 3rd in a row of a very familiar downhill slide, and more proof of his inability to move the O thru the air against a good defence.

Game Manager/Checkdown Charlie needed the help of a bulldozer when the O hit a wall. But, I think we all know Matty much preferred attempting to run thru the wall himself. Going into 2019 he said he felt in the best shape of his life and that he won?t hesitate to run. Problem was, he was no Strev and that knee injury sustained in 2018 took whatever speed he had - which wasn?t much.

Sounds like bashing to me.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_or_die

« Reply #328 on: January 31, 2020, 02:46:24 PM »

Sounds like bashing to me.

Huh

Blue In BC

« Reply #329 on: January 31, 2020, 03:23:30 PM »

We're down to 11 potential free agents. Nevis is an important player to re-sign.

Adams as well but I could see it going either way. At the very least we might see what options we have in free agency. OTOH we risk missing out all together.

Miles is an important player as well.

We're in limbo with Jefferson and Streveler. SMS and roster decisions may be made if we don't get some indication from them shortly.

Looks like we're going into a short list to deal with. A few other might be back but other options will be available IMO.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: