Blue Bombers Forum
May 24, 2022, 04:41:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2019-2020  (Read 156284 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »

There are a bunch of players that ended up on the IR to close the season. Many were 1st year players and in theory still under contract. They don't show on either the potential free agent or still under contract lists?? Calver, Latour, Griffith, Williams and Janke to name a few.

Nelson was a 2nd year player that I would have thought earned at least a TC invitation.

Griffiths was on the one game I.R. at the end of the season, I don't know if that effects his status or not but I would be surprised if they don't try hard to retain him.
the paw

« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »

There are a bunch of players that ended up on the IR to close the season. Many were 1st year players and in theory still under contract. They don't show on either the potential free agent or still under contract lists?? Calver, Latour, Griffith, Williams and Janke to name a few.

Nelson was a 2nd year player that I would have thought earned at least a TC invitation.

They are still under contract if they were on either 1 game or 6 game IR at the end of the season.  Those who have an expiring contract are also on the pending free agent list:  Nichols, Nelson, Roh, & Couture being among them. 

Griffiths, Janke etc. are still under contract.   According to the bylaws and 14.02 of the CBA, the team can have up to 85 players under contract during the off season, reduced to 75 on May 1st.  That's enough to accommodate both IRs and the practice roster guys as well.  Of course some of those may get dropped sooner, depending on how plans evolve. 

As for Nelson, I think if they plan on retaining Lucky, Nelson is redundant.  Personally, I would trade Whitehead to the Eastern Conference where he can shine as a dedicated returner.  He isn't better than Janarion Grant on that score, and I don't think hes good enough as an every down receiver.  But he should have some value.  I would like to see us add a receiver with CFL experience who can get us 800 yards in that spot.

grab grass 'n growl
kronic

« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2019, 07:15:46 PM »

No chance he signs anywhere else in the CFL... but we might lose him to an NFL offer...

Lol @ ?no chance?.

He left Edmonton. He won a cup there too.
He left Saskatchewan.

I REALLY hope I?m wrong, because he?d be at or near the top of the list of players I want back, but I see him somewhat as a mercenary.

edited at the request of the moderators
Blue In BC

« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2019, 07:29:11 PM »

They are still under contract if they were on either 1 game or 6 game IR at the end of the season.  Those who have an expiring contract are also on the pending free agent list:  Nichols, Nelson, Roh, & Couture being among them. 

Griffiths, Janke etc. are still under contract.   According to the bylaws and 14.02 of the CBA, the team can have up to 85 players under contract during the off season, reduced to 75 on May 1st.  That's enough to accommodate both IRs and the practice roster guys as well.  Of course some of those may get dropped sooner, depending on how plans evolve. 

As for Nelson, I think if they plan on retaining Lucky, Nelson is redundant.  Personally, I would trade Whitehead to the Eastern Conference where he can shine as a dedicated returner.  He isn't better than Janarion Grant on that score, and I don't think hes good enough as an every down receiver.  But he should have some value.  I would like to see us add a receiver with CFL experience who can get us 800 yards in that spot.

Nelson doesn't show on either list at the moment. Yes he might be redundant to Whitehead and Grant and I doubt we trade Whitehead.

OTOH, Nelson would be a 3rd year player and has had some opportunity as both a returner and receiver. To that end he might be a better receiver than Grant at the moment.  A 1st year player might be a better fit to sit on the PR instead of Nelson.

So chances are not good for Nelson to stick. That said he's the only other import receiver we had that ever saw the field.

While I am expecting Adams to re-sign we might go after somebody like Derel Walker. Or Lawler might take on a bigger role changing the roster choices and needs?

The free agency ball starts rolling soon and we'll see many potential free agents re-sign in January. It's going to be interesting once again.

There are some non Bomber talents on the potential list that would be of interest. The QB choice could come in free agency. I have no real idea how management is ranking their hopes / choices.

Another starting Canadian like Adeleke would be my hope beyond settling on a QB.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2019, 07:42:46 PM »

Nelson doesn't show on either list at the moment. Yes he might be redundant to Whitehead and Grant and I doubt we trade Whitehead.

OTOH, Nelson would be a 3rd year player and has had some opportunity as both a returner and receiver. To that end he might be a better receiver than Grant at the moment.  A 1st year player might be a better fit to sit on the PR instead of Nelson.

So chances are not good for Nelson to stick. That said he's the only other import receiver we had that ever saw the field.

While I am expecting Adams to re-sign we might go after somebody like Derel Walker. Or Lawler might take on a bigger role changing the roster choices and needs?

The free agency ball starts rolling soon and we'll see many potential free agents re-sign in January. It's going to be interesting once again.

There are some non Bomber talents on the potential list that would be of interest. The QB choice could come in free agency. I have no real idea how management is ranking their hopes / choices.

Another starting Canadian like Adeleke would be my hope beyond settling on a QB.

Nelson is shown on the 6 game IR posted on the Bomber website (roster page).

Things we probably agree on:

1.  Looking for Lawler to break out in 2020 with a new OC and a year under his belt.

2.  Would like another legit receiver (Derel Walker might be shooting high though)

3.  Probably going back to Canadian at safety, and getting a good one like Adeleke would be smart. 

4.  Free agency is going to be especially fun with the pre-free agency consultation that will be allowed this year. 

grab grass 'n growl
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2019, 08:10:05 PM »

Lol @ ?no chance?.

He left Saskatchewan.

I REALLY hope I?m wrong, because he?d be at or near the top of the list of players I want back, but I see him somewhat as a mercenary.

He was an Eskimo for two seasons (2013, 2015) and a Roughrider for two (2017, 2018) plus the balance of the 2016 season when he returned from the NFL. Keep in mind he played for the same HC (Chris Jones) in all of those seasons. He then signed here for the 2019 season, the first time playing for another head coach.

He's played for literally three teams and two separate head coaches. How does that make him a mercenary? Huh

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
theaardvark

« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2019, 09:01:14 PM »

Lol @ ?no chance?.

He left Saskatchewan.

I think he likes it here... he really embraced the city and the team dynamic.  He may have followed Jones, but when Jones left, he looked for a home, and we gave him one...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2019, 09:55:41 PM »

Nelson is shown on the 6 game IR posted on the Bomber website (roster page).

Things we probably agree on:

1.  Looking for Lawler to break out in 2020 with a new OC and a year under his belt.

2.  Would like another legit receiver (Derel Walker might be shooting high though)

3.  Probably going back to Canadian at safety, and getting a good one like Adeleke would be smart. 

4.  Free agency is going to be especially fun with the pre-free agency consultation that will be allowed this year. 

Re Nelson. I know he's listed on the roster on the 6 game IR at the end of the season. What I was referring to was that on the Bomber free agent sticky he's not listed as under contract or as a potential free agent. He may have been in the last year of his contract as a 2nd year Bomber.

The Bomber roster is often not entirely accurate. It's possible that some players have been quietly released while others have been re-signed from the PR for example.

None of the " future contract " players are listed on the roster yet and that's about 20 players.

Not to suggest he was released or that he won't be released before TC. He's just an example of question marks going into 2020 whose situation could change based on what else happens in free agency.

Walker is too steep a price but Begelton or Roosevelt might be of interest. All depends on SMS asks etc etc.

Realistically we have too wait to see who re-signs with current teams and many top players will do just that before mid February. After that some very good talent will have interest coming to Winnipeg IMO. Whether we need replacements or can afford those replacements is a TBD.

If we get back 12 of our top potential free agents ( including 1 of our QB's ), free safety might be the only real need
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:04:35 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2019, 11:15:55 PM »

Re Nelson. I know he's listed on the roster on the 6 game IR at the end of the season. What I was referring to was that on the Bomber free agent sticky he's not listed as under contract or as a potential free agent. He may have been in the last year of his contract as a 2nd year Bomber.

The Bomber roster is often not entirely accurate. It's possible that some players have been quietly released while others have been re-signed from the PR for example.

None of the " future contract " players are listed on the roster yet and that's about 20 players.

Not to suggest he was released or that he won't be released before TC. He's just an example of question marks going into 2020 whose situation could change based on what else happens in free agency.

Walker is too steep a price but Begelton or Roosevelt might be of interest. All depends on SMS asks etc etc.

Realistically we have too wait to see who re-signs with current teams and many top players will do just that before mid February. After that some very good talent will have interest coming to Winnipeg IMO. Whether we need replacements or can afford those replacements is a TBD.

If we get back 12 of our top potential free agents ( including 1 of our QB's ), free safety might be the only real need
The Bomber FA sticky is from a list provided by 3DownNation. That list wasn't 100% accurate as it didn't include Nichols, Nelson and Foketi.

The CFL.CA FA tracker came out a few days later and includes Nelson as a pending free agent.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #189 on: December 31, 2019, 02:22:09 AM »

The Bomber FA sticky is from a list provided by 3DownNation. That list wasn't 100% accurate as it didn't include Nichols, Nelson and Foketi.

The CFL.CA FA tracker came out a few days later and includes Nelson as a pending free agent.

Nelson, Walker, Grant, Whitehead all offer the same skill set more or less, shifty guys with good speed who can handle kick returns or play receiver to some extent but will probably never become primary targets.  I'm all for keeping two of them to fill in for Lawler, Bailey and Adams but I hope the Bombers continue to pursue the bigger body receivers as a trend.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:47:02 AM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #190 on: December 31, 2019, 05:20:14 AM »

Yes, Nelson kind of got shafted by getting injured and Lucky/Grant coming on strong.  Knowing The (loyal) Mafia, I bet Nelson gets a TC look if he wants it.  I'm rewatching the entire season right now and Nelson looked very good in the returner role.

Yes, all 3 dudes seem very similar.  Nelson might have the best hands, Lucky the worst.  Lucky's like Lankie: t-rex.  Grant might have the most tools as a returner as teams seemed to never quite figure him out like they did Lucky.  There's not enough room on the roster to keep 3, or maybe even 2, of these guys, and we'll never suit up more than 1 per game, so 1-2 have to go.  Sad, because I like them all.

The killer returner who can also be a rotational O receiver with good hands is kind of the holy grail that seems to be out of reach for us at the moment.  And when teams do find the rare gem, their dual-role longevity tends to be poor.

Never go full Rider!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2019, 07:06:12 AM »

I think we have a good chance to repeat as Grey Cup champs if we can lock down some good vets.  The West is still wide open imho.
GCn19

« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »

I think we have a good chance to repeat as Grey Cup champs if we can lock down some good vets.  The West is still wide open imho.

I would think any team with proper management and coaching should like their chances at being a Grey Cup contender in a 9 team league. Our drought has made us all feel like a GC victory is a lot tougher than it should be. Now that we have finally ended the epic mismanagement of our club and extremely snake bitten playoff performances of the past 29 years I am hopeful that each and every year we should be near the top of the CFL pile. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2019, 03:27:06 PM »

I would think any team with proper management and coaching should like their chances at being a Grey Cup contender in a 9 team league. Our drought has made us all feel like a GC victory is a lot tougher than it should be. Now that we have finally ended the epic mismanagement of our club and extremely snake bitten playoff performances of the past 29 years I am hopeful that each and every year we should be near the top of the CFL pile. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be.

I am with you on this. I am going into the 2020 season with far more confidence that I had at the start of the 2019 season. Lots of moving parts and lots of stories yet to be told but all in all, I am more confident than in years past ( I guess a Grey Cup Win will do that for you). There are so many moving parts yet to be decided not only within the Bomber organization but throughout all of the 9 teams. It will be a very interesting off season that's for sure.
Blue In BC

« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2019, 05:23:41 PM »

I am with you on this. I am going into the 2020 season with far more confidence that I had at the start of the 2019 season. Lots of moving parts and lots of stories yet to be told but all in all, I am more confident than in years past ( I guess a Grey Cup Win will do that for you). There are so many moving parts yet to be decided not only within the Bomber organization but throughout all of the 9 teams. It will be a very interesting off season that's for sure.

I agree even with our current potential free agent list. Realistically I think we all expect most of those players back and will have the chance to replace those departing in free agency.

But yes, lots of moving parts to deal with shortly.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: