Blue Bombers Forum
August 14, 2022, 01:50:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2019-2020  (Read 169526 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2019, 06:04:53 PM »

I fear this will happen with Nevis this year again, as last year he tested free agency and then signed with us weeks afterward. I didn't think he would be back, but I guess that is just how he/his agent approach the FA period.

We may waiting on a few of our players long after free agency starts. Rose, Jefferson, Kongbo, Nevis, Sayles probably don't sign before free agency, if at all. Then here is the entire issue of QB's and what that adds to SMS for 2019?

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »

I fear this will happen with Nevis this year again, as last year he tested free agency and then signed with us weeks afterward. I didn't think he would be back, but I guess that is just how he/his agent approach the FA period.

Nevis plays largely without fanfare or recognition and he is arguably the best DT in the league at stopping the run.  Can't blame him for wanting to get paid his worth, money and memories are all he's going to get out of the game.
the paw

« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »

I think there's a difference between buying an expensive safety and giving Kavis Reed money to a guy who valued himself at 200k. I mean who knows what Adeleke will demand, but I think there's a degree of separation between the two.

Our main priority is signing our own guys who we don't want to leave, and then will have to make due with what's left. What I will say is that if we take a major loss to one of our must-signs that frees up cash, spending it on a very good dare-I-say ratio-breaking Canadian safety like Adeleke will be the logical response.

Come to think of it, if we get most of our must-signs back like Rose, Sayles and Nevis, safety is the only spot I really feel we have a need to upgrade via FA.

I don't know how close in market value Adeleke is to Loffler, but I don't really expect Adeleke to get to free agency any way.  Bouka is already off the market earlier today. 

And while I agree it would be great to have last year's defence back, we are going to lose some of these guys, if not to the NFL, then possibly to other teams.  How we replace the ones we lose, while also addressing the safety position, will be a moving target through free agency.   And while anything can happen, my take on Walter's method of building his team is that he isn't like to splash cash on the safety spot.  But it will be entertaining....

grab grass 'n growl
booch

« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2019, 06:51:44 PM »

Is that what he actually did tho..test free agency?...also he and the club may have agreed upon him seeing what market was, and that if it fit in our budget we would match..I see that being more of how it went down than him coming back cause he couldn't get a decent offer elsewhere, as he really enjoys his time here and does work outside of his football here, and the coaches loved and raved about him
theaardvark

« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2019, 08:02:55 PM »

We let Loffler go because we didn't want to spend heavy at safety.  That is one of the moves that freed up cash for Jefferson and Bighill.  If Adeleke is as good as Loffler, he will comparable offers, and it probably won't be us.  If Jefferson doesn't re-sign, then we may reprioritize and decide to spend at safety instead, but I think we are more likely to end up with second tier free agent guy.

If Loffler didn't have injury problems and require "load management", I think we would have paid to keep him.  But those issues were not something that made him attractive at the price he got in MTL.  Good on him for getting his payday, and for only 6 games.  Interestingly, we lost a total of 5 games over three years with him, MTL lost 12 in one year...  have to wonder if they will cut him before roster bonuses are due...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2019, 08:34:08 PM »

We tried to go cheap. Thought we could go with Hecht at safety instead of Loffler. That was mostly a disaster. We didn't get good safety play until we moved Alexander there and made up the one NI on defence by rotating Thomas and Kongbo. Assuming they're both back, I expect we will do the same next year.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
blue_or_die

« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »

Is that what he actually did tho..test free agency?...also he and the club may have agreed upon him seeing what market was, and that if it fit in our budget we would match..I see that being more of how it went down than him coming back cause he couldn't get a decent offer elsewhere, as he really enjoys his time here and does work outside of his football here, and the coaches loved and raved about him

I guess that could be possible, but that's a bit of a tale there. He went to free agency, held out, and ended up coming back to our offer. I think that's all anyone really knows..

We tried to go cheap. Thought we could go with Hecht at safety instead of Loffler. That was mostly a disaster. We didn't get good safety play until we moved Alexander there and made up the one NI on defence by rotating Thomas and Kongbo. Assuming they're both back, I expect we will do the same next year.

I'm expecting, unfortunately, for Kongbo to be with the NFL for most of next season and barring us getting another rotational Nat DL, I think we are forced to turn our heads to the safety position to address the ratio.

Agreed that it wouldn't be prudent to cheap out, and we should get someone very good at the position. If possible, of course.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »

Hecht played well previously, and Loffler priced himself out of the job (weighing the potential injury issues).  Walters guessed right in this case...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2019, 10:17:09 PM »

Hecht played well previously, and Loffler priced himself out of the job (weighing the potential injury issues).  Walters guessed right in this case...

Hecht played okay, but was never good enough to play as a starter. The man can't make open field tackles. He is also slow to the ball.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
TBURGESS

« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2019, 10:51:16 PM »

Hecht was never anything more than a fill in. Someone else was pencilled in as our NI safety in the off season (I Can't Remember his name). The story at the time was that he almost beat out Loffler the year before for the safety spot.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2019, 10:59:42 PM »

disaster is a way overstated

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2019, 11:23:48 PM »

Hecht was never anything more than a fill in. Someone else was pencilled in as our NI safety in the off season (I Can't Remember his name). The story at the time was that he almost beat out Loffler the year before for the safety spot.

Jones....  

blue_or_die

« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2019, 02:21:32 AM »

Derek Jones.

I was also concerned that he wouldn't pan out. Not only did that happen, but he didn't even win the job vs Hecht, who went from serviceable to disposable as a starter. That said, I'd be ok if we signed Hecht for cheap to play STs.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
dd

« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2019, 02:26:44 AM »

disaster is a way overstated
Hecht at safety was a complete disaster. He was always out of position and rarely made a play. Our season turned around the instant Alexander went back there.
Blue In BC

« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2019, 02:14:42 PM »

Derek Jones.

I was also concerned that he wouldn't pan out. Not only did that happen, but he didn't even win the job vs Hecht, who went from serviceable to disposable as a starter. That said, I'd be ok if we signed Hecht for cheap to play STs.

I said that during the off season when there was talk from management that he nearly beat out Loffler in 2018. I scoffed and had serious doubts.

Not being able to beat out Hecht confirmed my thoughts. He's a decent blue collar ST guy but I don't want to see him on the field on defense.

Depending on what his $$$'s might be in 2019, he might not be a player we re-sign.

In 2019 we drafted and added Desjarlais, Eli, Hallett, Exume and Kongbo to the roster. Griffith's hung around on the PR. We added some other Canadians to the PR during the season that may make a push for roster spots as well.

Although our draft position is lower we've drafted very well and those will be new players added to the AR in 2020.

I don't see anybody or draft choices being traded in any significant way. What happens in free agency could impact where changes are made and how the roster is put together.

Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out. I agree that the general feeling is that the Bombers culture will attract free agents. Who might fit will see.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: