Blue Bombers Forum
May 24, 2022, 06:03:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2019-2020  (Read 156386 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2019, 03:23:42 PM »

Why do we need to be thinking going cheap...or bargain barrel shopping?...and if thats the case...whats the point....

It wasn't my intent to suggest that. Each team will set what they feel is a realistic amount. Some teams will go to extremes in order to acquire a free agent: Mike Reilly, Derel Walker for example.

I doubt Adeleke falls into that situation but he will likely see multiple offers. Depending on each team's given needs, some team may offer more. Combined with his preference in where he plays he may be out of reach.

He's just going into year 4 IIRC and has shown some talent and upside. Loffler got $170K I think from Montreal last year. Is that where Adeleke falls this year?

I don't know that any more than I know how much Hecht or D. Jones were getting.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:35:54 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »

I didn't realize that's what he was suggesting.

Absolutely, then. It's going to be interesting to see how we deploy our nationals to start the year.

We need another Canadian starter unless we get Kongbo back then we can still use at import at safety.

The question becomes where could we do that by position if a candidate was available? Not likely we'd do that on offense. On defense safety is the logical spot.

As I suggested we may not be able to keep Alexander at safety if we lose Rose, Taylor, Sayles and Fenner. He'd be more valuable moving forward if that happens.

With the expectation that we're not bringing back Couture and Hecht there must be some SMS offsets there. Would Couture have been earning more than a potential safety might be looking for this season? I'd think starting Canadian OL are more expensive than safeties?

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2019, 03:35:26 PM »

Why do we need to be thinking going cheap...or bargain barrel shopping?...and if thats the case...whats the point....

It isn't necessarily being cheap.  Of the half dozen guys I listed earlier in the thread, most aren't even going to get to free agency.  If Adeleke is there, then you do the math.  If it's Daly or Kevin Francis, then it's different math.  But all of those guys I listed I see as an upgrade on Hecht.  I didn't list Courtney Stephen, because even though I've been a fan of his through his career, I think he is winding down.

But here's the point.  If we don't get a credible National DE like Kongbo who can alternate reps with Thomas, we need to go National at safety.  Thomas can't be an every down player, we've seen this show before.  He's great in his role, but too many reps and he loses effectiveness.  

We need a National starter on D, whether its one guy or by committee.  I don't think Briggs is up to the task, but I guess we could go shopping for Cameron Judge, but that isn't too realistic either.  Chances are it will be at the safety spot.  

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »

Last year there were many conversations about not being willing to pay Loffler his asking price. Comments about safety being the easiest role to fill. Well we tried to fill it with Hecht.

Is Adeleke better than Loffler, equal to or lesser than? That's a different discussion but there is the crux of the decision.

How much is a fair price and / or how much are we willing / able to pay to fill that position?

All we can do is make an offer if he reaches free agency. The new 8 day rule on being able to shop around a deal will make things interesting. Good for the players not so much for the teams IMO.

Hmmmm. J. Gabriel might be a plan B option. Still has some mileage left on him. Greater experience but not the best injury history. Hasn't played more than 11 games in the last 4 seasons. I doubt he leaves Toronto though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:48:45 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
booch

« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »

Couture as a 5th year starting O-lineman..would earn more than an Adeleke as a 4th year safety..basically due to supply and demand and positional value, so the amount to keep Couture would easily cover the price of Adeleke at the safety spot.

It would appear, or seem most logical that we keep the ratio the same as last year and have a National somewhere on defense with safety being most likely at moment due to roster questions with our returning DB's or shall I say ones who may not be back, and the fact that I think our defense was stronger when we had full doses of Nevis and Richardson in the middle.

There are several options in free-agency currently where we could go National there and be an upgrade over Hecht and Jones, but that can change before we even get a shot at them.
the paw

« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2019, 03:48:29 PM »

Last year there were many conversations about not being willing to pay Loffler his asking price. Comments about safety being the easiest role to fill. Well we tried to fill it with Hecht.

Is Adeleke better than Loffler, equal to or lesser than? That's a different discussion but there is the crux of the decision.

How much is a fair price and / or how much are we willing / able to pay to fill that position?

All we can do is make an offer if he reaches free agency. The new 8 day rule on being able to shop around a deal will make things interesting. Good for the players not so much for the teams IMO.

We let Loffler go because we didn't want to spend heavy at safety.  That is one of the moves that freed up cash for Jefferson and Bighill.  If Adeleke is as good as Loffler, he will comparable offers, and it probably won't be us.  If Jefferson doesn't re-sign, then we may reprioritize and decide to spend at safety instead, but I think we are more likely to end up with second tier free agent guy.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »

Couture as a 5th year starting O-lineman..would earn more than an Adeleke as a 4th year safety..basically due to supply and demand and positional value, so the amount to keep Couture would easily cover the price of Adeleke at the safety spot.

It would appear, or seem most logical that we keep the ratio the same as last year and have a National somewhere on defense with safety being most likely at moment due to roster questions with our returning DB's or shall I say ones who may not be back, and the fact that I think our defense was stronger when we had full doses of Nevis and Richardson in the middle.

There are several options in free-agency currently where we could go National there and be an upgrade over Hecht and Jones, but that can change before we even get a shot at them.

That's what I was thinking re OL versus safety SMS hit. Until we see what it costs us to re-acquire our own free agents, how / where we can spend is a bit TBD.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
booch

« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »

We let Loffler go because we didn't want to spend heavy at safety.  That is one of the moves that freed up cash for Jefferson and Bighill.  If Adeleke is as good as Loffler, he will comparable offers, and it probably won't be us.  If Jefferson doesn't re-sign, then we may reprioritize and decide to spend at safety instead, but I think we are more likely to end up with second tier free agent guy.

Lost in the discussion as well is hallett...who many people believe will be an excellent safety too...perhaps he takes the job this year..athletically he has all the attributes you want...then we have entry level salary there for another year and some SMS to use elsewhere
Blue In BC

« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2019, 04:00:37 PM »

Lost in the discussion as well is hallett...who many people believe will be an excellent safety too...perhaps he takes the job this year..athletically he has all the attributes you want...then we have entry level salary there for another year and some SMS to use elsewhere

Yeah I mentioned him earlier. I like him as well as Exume. At the very least I think they should get TC and pre season time to win the job.

Hard to say what the coaches are thinking at the moment about their progress. If they think there is a strong chance doing that they won't be going out and spending $170K ( for example ) to sign somebody.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
booch

« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2019, 04:03:11 PM »

Yeah I mentioned him earlier. I like him as well as Exume. At the very least I think they should get TC and pre season time to win the job.

Hard to say what the coaches are thinking at the moment about their progress. If they think there is a strong chance doing that they won't be going out and spending $170K ( for example ) to sign somebody.

From the visual check and athletic aspect of things, both Hallett and Exume would give us more at the safety spot than Hecht did to be honest, and could grow into it being very good...
Point of attack

« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2019, 04:03:41 PM »

Worked for me on TSN main page.
Second time loaded.
Thanks.
Point of attack

« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/12/17/cfl-reveals-list-10-negotiation-list-players-team-4/

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

Name   Position   College   
BENTLEY, Jake   QB   South Carolina
CRACRAFT, River   WR   Washington State
DEAN, Jhavonte   DB   Miami
HEINICKE, Taylor   QB   Old Dominion
JOHNSON, Trey   DB   Villanova
MICKENS, Jaydon   WR   Washington
MOON, Quentin   LB   Western Illinois
REILLY, Brandon   WR   Nebraska
RINGO, Christian   DT   Louisiana Lafayette
RUDOLPH, Travis   WR   Florida State
* Denotes a player participating in an NCAA Bowl game

Thanks
blue_or_die

« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2019, 05:21:27 PM »

I think there's a difference between buying an expensive safety and giving Kavis Reed money to a guy who valued himself at 200k. I mean who knows what Adeleke will demand, but I think there's a degree of separation between the two.

Our main priority is signing our own guys who we don't want to leave, and then will have to make due with what's left. What I will say is that if we take a major loss to one of our must-signs that frees up cash, spending it on a very good dare-I-say ratio-breaking Canadian safety like Adeleke will be the logical response.

Come to think of it, if we get most of our must-signs back like Rose, Sayles and Nevis, safety is the only spot I really feel we have a need to upgrade via FA.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »

I think there's a difference between buying an expensive safety and giving Kavis Reed money to a guy who valued himself at 200k. I mean who knows what Adeleke will demand, but I think there's a degree of separation between the two.

Our main priority is signing our own guys who we don't want to leave, and then will have to make due with what's left. What I will say is that if we take a major loss to one of our must-signs that frees up cash, spending it on a very good dare-I-say ratio-breaking Canadian safety like Adeleke will be the logical response.

Come to think of it, if we get most of our must-signs back like Rose, Sayles and Nevis, safety is the only spot I really feel we have a need to upgrade via FA.

I agree. Priority # 1 is signing our own top potential free agents. Then figure out how much we have left to sign free agents from other teams if they are still free agents.

Ideally we sign most of our free agents before free agency starts. Otherwise choices change quickly in the 1st couple of minutes, hours and days of free agency. While we may be " waiting " on one player to sign we may lose the opportunity to sign another. That and with no guarantee we get the player we waiting on.

It's something every team will face in free agency.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 05:31:32 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_or_die

« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2019, 05:43:00 PM »

I agree. Priority # 1 is signing our own top potential free agents. Then figure out how much we have left to sign free agents from other teams if they are still free agents.

Ideally we sign most of our free agents before free agency starts. Otherwise choices change quickly in the 1st couple of minutes, hours and days of free agency. While we may be " waiting " on one player to sign we may lose the opportunity to sign another. That and with no guarantee we get the player we waiting on.

It's something every team will face in free agency.

I fear this will happen with Nevis this year again, as last year he tested free agency and then signed with us weeks afterward. I didn't think he would be back, but I guess that is just how he/his agent approach the FA period.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: