Blue Bombers Forum
December 07, 2022, 02:50:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2019-2020  (Read 181041 times)
booch

« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2019, 04:54:01 PM »

I thought maybe Dondre Wright could replace Jeff Hecht on the roster, but i guess not.
I would think Exume..Hallet and Jones (if back) and a possible low tiered free-agent, or an upstart draft pick will be the extra pieces tah would be special teamers/safety candidates in lieu of Hecht and his actual spot on roster will be filled by Griffiths who will get some D-line rotation if Thomas and or Kongbo aren't back
GCn19

« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2019, 04:54:42 PM »

Yup...would never happen...ever

No they won't, but the gap between minimum and fringe vet just became a lot narrower methinks.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
booch

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »

No they won't, but the gap between minimum and fringe vet just became a lot narrower methinks.

oh for sure...but I'm fine with that, that extra bit will allow for a player to come here now, which might not have before, and will also in the long run I believe contribute to more roster continuity with teams when the range of value is condensed, all teams are going to be offering similar deals, so the opportunity to make 5k more elsewhere may not be a reason to leave a known situation, and possibility for more play-off earnings if you are on a winning team
blue_or_die

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »

When min was $40k, sure.  But it is $70k, more than most people make, above the average, for a part time gig.  There are vets on PR's, making peanuts, trying to get back into the league.  There are many fringe players who would love to have a job, and would gladly take min.   Average SMS salary is probably about $110k, for every player making $200k, you have to have 3 players making $70K.  For every QB making $450k, you need to have 9 players making $70k.  You only have so many ELC's... the rest will be vets...

The fact that the salary is better is irrelevant- vet starting-quality players are going to demand to be paid more than league min and they will get it unless there are new players coming in on ELCs who are legitimately better (and they would win the job in that scenario ESPECIALLY if there was a large salary difference)

Vets on PRs are no longer starting-quality so that's a moot point.

Yes, if 70k is all that's offered by a team to any player than they will take it, but that simply means they aren't good enough to have bargaining power such that teams would bid on them. Just as always, market will be set by the value the player brings (skill per dollar), and no matter the SMS structure, basic economics will dictate that Craig Roh will be paid more than Jim the STer from Acadia.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2019, 05:15:45 PM »

The fact that the salary is better is irrelevant- vet starting-quality players are going to demand to be paid more than league min and they will get it unless there are new players coming in on ELCs who are legitimately better (and they would win the job in that scenario ESPECIALLY if there was a large salary difference)

Vets on PRs are no longer starting-quality so that's a moot point.

Yes, if 70k is all that's offered by a team to any player than they will take it, but that simply means they aren't good enough to have bargaining power such that teams would bid on them. Just as always, market will be set by the value the player brings (skill per dollar), and no matter the SMS structure, basic economics will dictate that Craig Roh will be paid more than Jim the STer from Acadia.

Jim though is versatile! lol
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2019, 05:36:53 PM »

I would think Exume..Hallet and Jones (if back) and a possible low tiered free-agent, or an upstart draft pick will be the extra pieces tah would be special teamers/safety candidates in lieu of Hecht and his actual spot on roster will be filled by Griffiths who will get some D-line rotation if Thomas and or Kongbo aren't back

Griffith rotating with Thomas is not ideal as it would reduce the reps. of Nevis and Richardson and would not allow them to play at the same time unless a Natl. filled in elsewhere.  Sure hope Kongbo comes back sooner than later.  I wonder what Trent Corney is up to these days, seems he's given up on football.
Pigskin
Global Moderator

« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2019, 05:54:37 PM »

Well we first have to resign Drake, he is another player that likes his one year deals. There's a few DE's that are FA's this year. If we keep our first round pick we could try and pickup Mason Bennett in the first round of the draft.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:19:30 PM by Pigskin » Logged

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2019, 06:30:13 PM »

Well we first have to resign Drake, he is another player that likes his one year deals. There's a few DE's that are FA's this year. If we keep our first round pick we could try and pickup Mason Bennett in the first round of the draft.

That would be nice but we've been spoiled the last few years with a few draft picks able to contribute substantially in their first season, Chungh, Desjarlais, Kongbo.  Hope for the best but prudent to remember this is far from the normal progression.
Blue In BC

« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2019, 06:36:09 PM »

Griffith rotating with Thomas is not ideal as it would reduce the reps. of Nevis and Richardson and would not allow them to play at the same time unless a Natl. filled in elsewhere.  Sure hope Kongbo comes back sooner than later.  I wonder what Trent Corney is up to these days, seems he's given up on football.

I agree. Another National is required that can be rotated on defense effectively. Trying to do that at DT is not the best scenario. Doesn't mean Griffith might not be a bad addition. Getting Kongo back is preferable as is re-signing Thomas.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
booch

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2019, 06:44:17 PM »

Which is what we did the last part of year when Alexander came into the safety spot, which I agree isn't ideal and even though our run defense was stout..it did suffer a bit without having Richardson and Nevis in the middle for 80 percent of the reps.

Hopefully we target a national safety in free agency hard, or we can utilize whom we have currently signed now there..I really believe given a bit more experience Exume could be a fixture there for years.

Agai also it all hinges on what happens with Kongbo and how we can work our ratio/substitutions and utilize a DI spot..
Point of attack

« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2019, 06:51:20 PM »

Anybody have a link to the latest neg list released?
TSN dropped some names and ?listed below? is a blank.
blue_or_die

« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2019, 06:52:25 PM »

Which is what we did the last part of year when Alexander came into the safety spot, which I agree isn't ideal and even though our run defense was stout..it did suffer a bit without having Richardson and Nevis in the middle for 80 percent of the reps.

Hopefully we target a national safety in free agency hard, or we can utilize whom we have currently signed now there..I really believe given a bit more experience Exume could be a fixture there for years.

Agai also it all hinges on what happens with Kongbo and how we can work our ratio/substitutions and utilize a DI spot..

Adeleke?

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2019, 06:54:09 PM »

Adeleke?
He'd be my target...I had hoped we targeted last free agent period when he was available
GCn19

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2019, 07:02:08 PM »

Anybody have a link to the latest neg list released?
TSN dropped some names and ?listed below? is a blank.

Worked for me on TSN main page.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
the paw

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2019, 07:08:13 PM »

I agree that we are more likely to go back to a National at safety, particularly if we lose one of Sayles or Rose and have to use Alexander elsewhere. 

Here are some guys slated for free agency, all of whom would be an upgrade on Hecht IMHO:  Ackie, Adeleke, Kevin Francis, Mike Daly, Bouka, Coulquon, and Anthony Thompson.

A lot of those guys will be resigned by their teams, but if any of them get to free agency, I would expect us to be kicking tires. 

grab grass 'n growl
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: