Blue Bombers Forum
September 26, 2021, 02:19:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Maas Out as Head Coach in Edmonton  (Read 13783 times)
Blue72

« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2019, 07:51:58 PM »

Will BC try to ask Reilly to take a bit of a pay cut so that they could bring in better players because of the SMS?
Blue72

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »

Would BC release Reilly from his $720,000+ a year contract and bring in another guy like maybe Mosoli for around $425,000. You could surely better the teams plyers with that amount of cash. The QBs with the big pay day last year didn't make it to the finals, ( Reilly, Harris, Nichols, Mosoli, BLM ). Injuries happen so you really have to have a strong team to compensate for the loss of your staring QB. In BC case they spent heavy on 1 QB, ! Olinemen and 1 receiver, the rest of the oline was pretty bad and if you cover that one receiver they didn't have much more for the backup QB to work with. Reilly is a real good QB but not at $720,000.
Reilly might get a good contract in Toronto but how long would he last there and who would TO ( SMS ) have release to make that happen.
Blue In BC

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2019, 10:08:51 PM »

Would BC release Reilly from his $720,000+ a year contract and bring in another guy like maybe Mosoli for around $425,000. You could surely better the teams plyers with that amount of cash. The QBs with the big pay day last year didn't make it to the finals, ( Reilly, Harris, Nichols, Mosoli, BLM ). Injuries happen so you really have to have a strong team to compensate for the loss of your staring QB. In BC case they spent heavy on 1 QB, ! Olinemen and 1 receiver, the rest of the oline was pretty bad and if you cover that one receiver they didn't have much more for the backup QB to work with. Reilly is a real good QB but not at $720,000.
Reilly might get a good contract in Toronto but how long would he last there and who would TO ( SMS ) have release to make that happen.

What players would want to go to Vancouver if they " dump " Reilly? We all know giving him that much money was not wise use of their SMS across their roster.

That wasn't his fault.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Cool Spot

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2019, 12:30:36 AM »

What players would want to go to Vancouver if they " dump " Reilly?

If Reilly was making $720k and they drop him and sign Masoli for ~$420k, that's $300k they have to play with (right? As in, there's not some special rule that excludes Reilly from the salary cap?). You could use that $300k and try to attract six marquee players at $50k above what they are currently making. I bet several would move for a $50k pay-raise.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2019, 12:30:43 AM »

What players would want to go to Vancouver if they " dump " Reilly? We all know giving him that much money was not wise use of their SMS across their roster.

That wasn't his fault.

Nope...well maybe indirectly it was his fault...but take the money and pay the price of getting royally destroyed game after game. 

If the Lions miss the playoffs again can we all agree that mike Reilly was the biggest overrated QB of the last three years. As it stands right now, led his team to no playoffs two years in a row in a league where 6/9 teams make the playoffs. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »

If Reilly was making $720k and they drop him and sign Masoli for ~$420k, that's $300k they have to play with (right? As in, there's not some special rule that excludes Reilly from the salary cap?). You could use that $300k and try to attract six marquee players at $50k above what they are currently making. I bet several would move for a $50k pay-raise.

That's what we all said before and during TC. It was at the cost of the rest of their roster and it was apparent early. They didn't have a good enough roster before signing Reilly and then they didn't re-sign so many of their good free agents.

OTOH BLM got big money and lost some top talent but still were in the fight for 1st most of the season.

So coaching and ultimate roster decisions made dropped the Lions into the dumpster.

BTW. Thanks for not re-signing Rose so he could join the Bombers.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
trapper

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »

Looks like Maas is the new Riders OC.

Riders are gonna have to add a few extra gatorade coolers to the budget.

Kidding aside, Maas has always been a good OC.  I like the signing.
blue_or_die

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2019, 07:46:58 PM »

Looks like Maas is the new Riders OC.

Riders are gonna have to add a few extra gatorade coolers to the budget.

Kidding aside, Maas has always been a good OC.  I like the signing.

Your gain is our loss, as a West opponent got stronger while we are about to lose our OC. I think Maas will work together great with CoFaj.

And I hate that.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Jesse

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »

Just more confirmation:

@TSN_Sports
 Football Insider
@TSNDaveNaylor reported Thursday he's hearing Jason Maas has completed a deal to join the Roughriders as their new offensive coordinator, replacing Steve McAdoo, whose contract will not be renewed. #CFL #Riders

My wife is amazing!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2019, 08:05:59 PM »

Your gain is our loss, as a West opponent got stronger while we are about to lose our OC. I think Maas will work together great with CoFaj.

And I hate that.

Maybe. It will be back to learning a new offense for Fajardo. I know he won some awards and impressed some people but I'm not totally sold on him yet. A lot of QBs looked good for a year and then faltered. He sort of came out of nowhere and I want to see more. He's definitely not bad but I don't know if he's great or a more of a middling Kevin Glenn type yet.
Jesse

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2019, 08:11:04 PM »

Maybe. It will be back to learning a new offense for Fajardo. I know he won some awards and impressed some people but I'm not totally sold on him yet. A lot of QBs looked good for a year and then faltered. He sort of came out of nowhere and I want to see more. He's definitely not bad but I don't know if he's great or a more of a middling Kevin Glenn type yet.

Upgrading at OC should help his development, not hurt it. Unless they have some crazy style differences.

My wife is amazing!
trapper

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »

The Riders changed their offense when Fajardo became the starter.  So in reality he had to learn two offenses before the third game of the season.  With Maas coming in now and building a Fajardo offense I think it will be SO much better for the kid.

Fajardo is not the 2nd coming.  He's no Ricky Ray or BLM or any other QB that was a superstar immediately.  But I always thought the Riders were weak at OC.  Now this offseason the offense will be built around Cody with an experienced and proven OC.  We will learn a LOT about Fajardo this year.
Pigskin

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »

Could be fun to see him throwing thing around in the booth.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Jesse

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »

Rick Campbell on reports of Jason Maas going to #Riders as OC:

"You always have to have a couple of answers. We'll see how it all shakes out. You never know. Sometimes news reports R true. Sometimes they're just rumours. You have to see how this all plays out." #CFL via
@TSN1040

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »

The Riders changed their offense when Fajardo became the starter.  So in reality he had to learn two offenses before the third game of the season.  With Maas coming in now and building a Fajardo offense I think it will be SO much better for the kid.

Fajardo is not the 2nd coming.  He's no Ricky Ray or BLM or any other QB that was a superstar immediately.  But I always thought the Riders were weak at OC.  Now this offseason the offense will be built around Cody with an experienced and proven OC.  We will learn a LOT about Fajardo this year.
What did they change?...so in the course of 3 plays they changed things?..what you ran in the Hamilton game, and most after that looked pretty much the same as ther last 2 years...nothing seemed too different..constant quick slants...hitches and the occasional rainbow deep ball...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: