Blue Bombers Forum
September 26, 2021, 01:34:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maas Out as Head Coach in Edmonton  (Read 13781 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« on: November 27, 2019, 02:56:10 PM »

EDMONTON ? The Edmonton Eskimos have relieved Jason Maas of his duties as head coach, effective immediately.

Eskimos General Manager and Vice President of Football Operations Brock Sunderland will be available to media today at 2 p.m. in Multi-Purpose Room 6 on the third floor (near the team store) at The Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium.

?Today?s decision was difficult and not taken lightly. I thank Jason for his dedication and hard work while also wishing him the best in his future endeavours,? says Sunderland.

Maas was named the 21st head coach of the Edmonton Eskimos on Dec. 14, 2015. After four seasons, he leaves with a 39-33 regular-season record and 3-3 post-season record that includes three division final appearances.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/27/esks-part-ways-head-coach-jason-maas/
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 02:59:14 PM »

Paging Rick Campbell...
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »

Paging Rick Campbell...

+1

2019 Grey Cup Champions
booch

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »

Guarantee thats where Campbell ends up...
blue_or_die

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 03:16:21 PM »

Where does Jason go? Do OTT and EDM trade HCs? Ottawa basically got Maas to an HC position by putting him as OC where he was very successful. Or does he end up an OC somewhere?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 03:19:31 PM »

Where does Jason go? Do OTT and EDM trade HCs? Ottawa basically got Maas to an HC position by putting him as OC where he was very successful. Or does he end up an OC somewhere?

BC with Reilly and Ed Hervey?   Do Hervey and Maas get along?
TBURGESS

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 03:26:05 PM »

I doubt that Mass gets another HC job this year. He'd be a great OC choice for most teams.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
theaardvark

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »

Maas ends up in BC, Campbell in Edm, Dinwiddie in Ott...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 03:55:07 PM »

Maas ends up in BC, Campbell in Edm, Dinwiddie in Ott...

Condell more likely in OTT.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »

BC with Reilly and Ed Hervey?   Do Hervey and Maas get along?

Hervey hired him as HC in Edmonton so I would think he likes him.

GCn19

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »

Justin Dunk suggested that Marcel Bellefeuille was brought in by the Esks in late August and that rumblings were that he was HC-in waiting. That seems odd to me but JD is not often wrong.

GCn19

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »

If Lapo does manage to get a HC job, Jason Maas would be a nice OC to consider.

theaardvark

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 04:06:27 PM »

If Lapo does manage to get a HC job, Jason Maas would be a nice OC to consider.

No.  Please no.  Is communication equipment part of the Operations SMS?  Not a fan of his histronics, and I don't think Oshea would be either.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 04:13:13 PM »

No.  Please no.  Is communication equipment part of the Operations SMS?  Not a fan of his histronics, and I don't think Oshea would be either.

First of all an OC is in the booth and not on the field, secondly at the time Maas was hired as a HC it was because he was the best OC in the league. If he wants to break headsets from his perch above the field who gives a crap.

theaardvark

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 04:16:02 PM »

First of all an OC is in the booth and not on the field, secondly at the time Maas was hired as a HC it was because he was the best OC in the league.

Sure, as was Lapo... but Lapo's personality fits into this team a lot better than Maas... and that is a huge part of the success of the team.

booch

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 04:17:01 PM »

I truly don't see Lapo getting a HC gig this off-season..to be honest
GCn19

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 04:18:45 PM »

I truly don't see Lapo getting a HC gig this off-season..to be honest

Me neither. I think interest in Lapo as a HC is over stated by his buddies at TSN.

booch

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 04:22:48 PM »

Me neither. I think interest in Lapo as a HC is over stated by his buddies at TSN.
Yup...Ottawa I bet will go new blood...And Hervey is gonna go with his type guy..which Lapo is not..He has history with Mass...as does Reilly...I'd be shocked if Mass is not in BC in some capacity...being it OC/*** HC....Or god forbid for BC as their HC...which would be foolish...he just not a guyI would want leading and being the spokesman for my team
GCn19

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »

Yup...Ottawa I bet will go new blood...And Hervey is gonna go with his type guy..which Lapo is not..He has history with Mass...as does Reilly...I'd be shocked if Mass is not in BC in some capacity...being it OC/*** HC....Or god forbid for BC as their HC...which would be foolish...he just not a guyI would want leading and being the spokesman for my team

Hervey, Reilly...it just adds up that Maas may have become the front runner in BC. Not saying it's the right move for BC but he's got a couple of key believers in him there.

Pigskin

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 04:25:32 PM »

I heard Bobby Dice is interested in the HC job in Ottawa.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
GCn19

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 04:28:10 PM »

He probably is, but I doubt he gets it.

kkc60

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 04:54:19 PM »

Maas and Hervey reunion in BC? If so I'd say Campbell to Edmonton and LaPo to Ottawa
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »

He would be a great choice, he deserves a shot more than most candidates.  I think he would be an awesome leader, which is what you need.  I can see him being an O'Shea type...

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »

Maas could easily land in BC as HC. Campbell to Edmonton seems as good as done. That leaves Ottawa. LaPo doesn't seem like a fit there (I think he's a better fit in Edmonton or BC). We could easily end up having him back.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
the paw

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 05:05:25 PM »

Justin Dunk suggested that Marcel Bellefeuille was brought in by the Esks in late August and that rumblings were that he was HC-in waiting. That seems odd to me but JD is not often wrong.

I think Marcel is a actually a decent HC.  He is definitely a better HC than an OC, I would say that.  His time in Winnipeg did not improve our offence, but just the way he carried himself was better than Tim Burke.  I also thought he got a lot of mileage out of his teams in Hamilton, given what he had to work with.

grab grass 'n growl
GCn19

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 05:08:05 PM »

Maas could easily land in BC as HC. Campbell to Edmonton seems as good as done. That leaves Ottawa. LaPo doesn't seem like a fit there (I think he's a better fit in Edmonton or BC). We could easily end up having him back.

I really don't think Ottawa has much interest in Lapo. They are going hard after Masoli and the easiest way to get him is to bring in Condell.

lenny

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 05:08:48 PM »

Zero surprise. Campbell is a good bet given his dad's connection to the Esks.
booch

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »

and to Harris
GCn19

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 05:17:36 PM »

I think Marcel is a actually a decent HC.  He is definitely a better HC than an OC, I would say that.  His time in Winnipeg did not improve our offence, but just the way he carried himself was better than Tim Burke.  I also thought he got a lot of mileage out of his teams in Hamilton, given what he had to work with.

I agree. It's just kind of an out of the blue thing though because he hasn't been mentioned in any HCing vacancies this decade really.

blue_or_die

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »

I think Campbell taps Claybrooks to be his DC in EDM.

Horseman

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 05:36:07 PM »

MOS and Maas both coached in Toronto together, so I'm pretty sure if we loose Lapo that MOS would seriously consider Maas for OC.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 05:41:37 PM »

If we lose LaPo, does he take Buck Pierce with him or does Buck stay and move up to OC?

Posting Live From Home

The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »

All things I have read out of Edmonton is that the players support him and enjoy playing for him. 

I would consider him as an OC here if we needed one. 
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »

Now that would be interesting! Seeing Claybrooks in Edmonton as the DC playing against his old team in Calgary - this would be more fun that watching him in BC as a HC. I think he would be a great fit as a DC in Edmonton and if Campbell comes in as HC I think Edmonton would be much improved in 2020.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »

From Farhan:

I?m told both the #BCLions & #RedBlacks have formally asked for permission to speak to #Bombers OC @PaulLaPolice. I would expect #Eskimos to do the same. @CFLonTSN @TSN_Sports @SportsCentre @cfl @TSN1040
dd

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2019, 10:53:05 PM »

Maas to BC makes perfect sense...he's got history and chemistry with Reilly and Hervey.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2019, 06:48:47 AM »

First of all an OC is in the booth and not on the field, secondly at the time Maas was hired as a HC it was because he was the best OC in the league. If he wants to break headsets from his perch above the field who gives a crap.

OC is in the booth in games, but on the field in practices.  Personality still matters at the OC position.

I don't want Maas here.  I'd rather take a chance on Buck.

As for breaking electronics: Condell wasn't much better -- did you see him smashing his handheld down on that booth shot on the 2nd 3rd down stuff?  Yikes.  Lapo handled his 2009 meltdown far better than Condell.

I really don't think Ottawa has much interest in Lapo. They are going hard after Masoli and the easiest way to get him is to bring in Condell.

If I'm HAM, I'm hanging on to Masoli if you want to win a GC.  After our little forum study on years-in-cfl for GC-winning QBs, it's clear that Evans doesn't have good odds at winning a GC even if he gets there every year for the next 3 years.  The study is what gave me great confidence our Bombers could pull off a win, 8-year vs 1-year starting.  Guess how many years Masoli has in the CFL?  About 8, right?

I don't think Masoli goes anywhere.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2019, 06:53:23 AM »

Hmm, that's actually a good idea.  However, I think Claybrooks has at least a 50/50 chance of proving to be as inept at being a DC as HC.  His previous success may have just been a product of the CGY system.  Not positive, but possible.  We shall see!  I'm pretty sure everyone is correct, though, in that he's done as an HC.

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »

Hmm, that's actually a good idea.  However, I think Claybrooks has at least a 50/50 chance of proving to be as inept at being a DC as HC.  His previous success may have just been a product of the CGY system.  Not positive, but possible.  We shall see!  I'm pretty sure everyone is correct, though, in that he's done as an HC.

You might be right but just remember the last DC (or one of the last DCs, at least) in Calgary before Claybrooks was Chris Jones who, love him or hate him, had quite a career trajectory.

theaardvark

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »

A lot of good HC candidates out there, here's hoping (for us) that Lapo gets the interviews, and gets consideration, but is at best second on each list...

XFL denying Elizondo the opportunity to upgrade will probably make him really happy to spend a year there... 

I'm guessing that Jones and Claybrooks are going to make the "do we go with a rookie HC" question harder... deciding whether a candidate is better off for failing as a HC previously, if that failure was an indicator of his ability to be an HC, or that he just wasn't ready yet, versus whether a rookie candidate can come in and build the team, like an O'Shea, or have an immediate impact like Jones in MTL...

I am very selfish in my desire to keep the crew we had this year together.  I know that HC is a goal, and that every coach wants the big nameplate on his door, but is it wrong to be the best OC/DC in the league?  And let someone else worry about dealing with all the crap?

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »

A lot of good HC candidates out there, here's hoping (for us) that Lapo gets the interviews, and gets consideration, but is at best second on each list...

XFL denying Elizondo the opportunity to upgrade will probably make him really happy to spend a year there... 

I'm guessing that Jones and Claybrooks are going to make the "do we go with a rookie HC" question harder... deciding whether a candidate is better off for failing as a HC previously, if that failure was an indicator of his ability to be an HC, or that he just wasn't ready yet, versus whether a rookie candidate can come in and build the team, like an O'Shea, or have an immediate impact like Jones in MTL...

I am very selfish in my desire to keep the crew we had this year together.  I know that HC is a goal, and that every coach wants the big nameplate on his door, but is it wrong to be the best OC/DC in the league?  And let someone else worry about dealing with all the crap?

I think everyone is wired a bit differently. Look at a guy like Stubler. He had one crack at the big headset, and it didn't go well. Seems to have been very content as a coordinator since then. Other guys get the taste of the top job and want to go back there. For a guy like LaPo, he likely still feels a bit of a chip on his shoulder for how things went down for him in 2012. The fact that he's taking three HC interviews now makes it pretty clear what his desires are.

Posting Live From Home

theaardvark

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2019, 04:48:16 PM »

I think everyone is wired a bit differently. Look at a guy like Stubler. He had one crack at the big headset, and it didn't go well. Seems to have been very content as a coordinator since then. Other guys get the taste of the top job and want to go back there. For a guy like LaPo, he likely still feels a bit of a chip on his shoulder for how things went down for him in 2012. The fact that he's taking three HC interviews now makes it pretty clear what his desires are.

Has it been confirmed that he is taking the meetings?  I haven't seen that, but I would assume you'd have to regardless your desire.  If nothing else, it helps your bargaining position... unless you get rejected from all three and still haven't signed...

The key domino is this whole situation is O'Shea.  He needs to be retained under contract ASAP.  Then we know the budget that is left, and can dangle the carrot of playing/coaching with him for the rest of the contracts that need to be executed...

BlueInCgy

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2019, 04:59:04 PM »

I think the fact he was denied the opportunity to interview for the Sask job probably still plays in to the equation as well, despite the BOmbers rationale at the time.  That, and GC winning coaches tend to make the move up the ladder after a win.
GCn19

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »

OC is in the booth in games, but on the field in practices.  Personality still matters at the OC position.

I don't want Maas here.  I'd rather take a chance on Buck.

As for breaking electronics: Condell wasn't much better -- did you see him smashing his handheld down on that booth shot on the 2nd 3rd down stuff?  Yikes.  Lapo handled his 2009 meltdown far better than Condell.

If I'm HAM, I'm hanging on to Masoli if you want to win a GC.  After our little forum study on years-in-cfl for GC-winning QBs, it's clear that Evans doesn't have good odds at winning a GC even if he gets there every year for the next 3 years.  The study is what gave me great confidence our Bombers could pull off a win, 8-year vs 1-year starting.  Guess how many years Masoli has in the CFL?  About 8, right?

I don't think Masoli goes anywhere.

Maas' temper tantrums were only a problem when he was on the sidelines running the show. There are zero reported incidents of him having temper issues when he was an OC.

booch

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2019, 05:06:59 PM »

we probably pretty much know what the coaches SMS will be regardless as to when Osh is extended more or less..He was extended before..making good coin and a new deal will have a bump but it won't be astronomical
GCn19

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2019, 05:07:22 PM »

If we lose LaPo, does he take Buck Pierce with him or does Buck stay and move up to OC?

Given the option I am sure he would stay here.

BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2019, 05:07:53 PM »

I think LaPolice will be gone..  too many HC vacancies to fill..  one team will pick LaPolice up very quickly..  My bet is BC...
booch

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »

i doubt Buck would want to leave..has a good thing here..wife is from here, and he is the likely guy to move up..or get an expanded role if not the defacto OC...also not sure of his contract status going into 2020 but if under contract still we can deny any request from a team to kick his tires
GCn19

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2019, 05:09:59 PM »

I think LaPolice will be gone..  too many HC vacancies to fill..  one team will pick LaPolice up very quickly..  My bet is BC...

There are a lot of good candidates, and Lapo may be the media's pick for a HC job I don't necessarily think he is anyone elses.

booch

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2019, 05:14:27 PM »

I think the bigger question is...Will Hall be back and if he chooses to retire...where do we go from there?...In house?...outside the box...one of the usual suspects??

Myself, I hope he is back and he has done nothing this year to not warrant being back..although many this year lambasted him with regularity. Guy has what now?..3..4 cups as a coach?
theaardvark

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2019, 05:24:10 PM »

I think the bigger question is...Will Hall be back and if he chooses to retire...where do we go from there?...In house?...outside the box...one of the usual suspects??

Myself, I hope he is back and he has done nothing this year to not warrant being back..although many this year lambasted him with regularity. Guy has what now?..3..4 cups as a coach?

Hall is 59...  where does the "retirement" idea come from?

Jesse

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2019, 07:05:03 PM »

Hall is 59...  where does the "retirement" idea come from?

He's been having health issues...family issues.

I'm not sure what he's going to do, but it might be crossing his mind.

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »

what he said above me...he was needing a cane last year....and has gone through a lot last few years...not saying he is considering it, but more a what if?..I hope he stays..continuity is a good thing and his players love him and will go through a wall for him..which they showed in play-offs
ichabod_crane

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2019, 10:15:22 PM »

As a coach I think only 2 cups. He won at least one other as a player either with Sask or Calgary.

Former DC's out there are Benevides and Claybrooks. Claybrooks probably was not ready to be a HC yet and ran into a bad situation with that clown GM in BC selling the farm for a couple free agents, but he was really good as a DC in Calgary. Players really respected him.
BigBomberFan

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2019, 01:03:55 AM »

I would tend to think that LaPolice would go to Edmonton, and my reasoning for that is that Edmonton has a really good team--Harris as QB, CJ Gable, etc--and just need someone to tweak what is already there. BC and Ottawa would require more work; more from the ground up overhaul in which you can bring on more of your own people, but after having gone through that after we tried to get rid of all remnants of Mike Kelly, LaPolice has seen that it can be a difficult thing to try to right a sinking ship.

We'll see.
the paw

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2019, 01:22:51 AM »

I think Campbell is a!most certain to end up in Edmonton.  He and Sunderland know each other, he has had success with Harris, and he has that family connection to Edmonton.  Plus, I think Sunderland is more trustworthy than Hervey and the ownership is more stable.

Lapo is certain to get one of the other two jobs.  If I had to bet, I would say BC.  Apparently, Desjardin has interviewed Dinwiddie and Mark Kilam.  That suggests to me that Desjardin is not feeling terribly secure, and may be looking for an inexperienced fresh face that won't challenge him in the organization.

I don't think Maas gets hired to start the season.  He's not going to take an OC spot, he'll wait, knowing that Chamblin is on thin ice.

grab grass 'n growl
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2019, 05:08:17 PM »

Wow.  Shocked that all signs pointing to Campbell signing in BC and not Edmonton
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »

My gut felling is Lapo will be back once again. To many family ties here now.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
BBRT

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2019, 06:56:14 PM »

Wow.  Shocked that all signs pointing to Campbell signing in BC and not Edmonton

TSN is saying that a news conference is set for 3PM PST to make an announcement assume this will be to announce Campbell as their next HC.
Norm W

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2019, 07:05:32 PM »

Done deal... TSN is confirming as is the CFL.

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Blue72

« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2019, 07:51:58 PM »

Will BC try to ask Reilly to take a bit of a pay cut so that they could bring in better players because of the SMS?
Blue72

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »

Would BC release Reilly from his $720,000+ a year contract and bring in another guy like maybe Mosoli for around $425,000. You could surely better the teams plyers with that amount of cash. The QBs with the big pay day last year didn't make it to the finals, ( Reilly, Harris, Nichols, Mosoli, BLM ). Injuries happen so you really have to have a strong team to compensate for the loss of your staring QB. In BC case they spent heavy on 1 QB, ! Olinemen and 1 receiver, the rest of the oline was pretty bad and if you cover that one receiver they didn't have much more for the backup QB to work with. Reilly is a real good QB but not at $720,000.
Reilly might get a good contract in Toronto but how long would he last there and who would TO ( SMS ) have release to make that happen.
Blue In BC

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2019, 10:08:51 PM »

Would BC release Reilly from his $720,000+ a year contract and bring in another guy like maybe Mosoli for around $425,000. You could surely better the teams plyers with that amount of cash. The QBs with the big pay day last year didn't make it to the finals, ( Reilly, Harris, Nichols, Mosoli, BLM ). Injuries happen so you really have to have a strong team to compensate for the loss of your staring QB. In BC case they spent heavy on 1 QB, ! Olinemen and 1 receiver, the rest of the oline was pretty bad and if you cover that one receiver they didn't have much more for the backup QB to work with. Reilly is a real good QB but not at $720,000.
Reilly might get a good contract in Toronto but how long would he last there and who would TO ( SMS ) have release to make that happen.

What players would want to go to Vancouver if they " dump " Reilly? We all know giving him that much money was not wise use of their SMS across their roster.

That wasn't his fault.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Cool Spot

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2019, 12:30:36 AM »

What players would want to go to Vancouver if they " dump " Reilly?

If Reilly was making $720k and they drop him and sign Masoli for ~$420k, that's $300k they have to play with (right? As in, there's not some special rule that excludes Reilly from the salary cap?). You could use that $300k and try to attract six marquee players at $50k above what they are currently making. I bet several would move for a $50k pay-raise.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2019, 12:30:43 AM »

What players would want to go to Vancouver if they " dump " Reilly? We all know giving him that much money was not wise use of their SMS across their roster.

That wasn't his fault.

Nope...well maybe indirectly it was his fault...but take the money and pay the price of getting royally destroyed game after game. 

If the Lions miss the playoffs again can we all agree that mike Reilly was the biggest overrated QB of the last three years. As it stands right now, led his team to no playoffs two years in a row in a league where 6/9 teams make the playoffs. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »

If Reilly was making $720k and they drop him and sign Masoli for ~$420k, that's $300k they have to play with (right? As in, there's not some special rule that excludes Reilly from the salary cap?). You could use that $300k and try to attract six marquee players at $50k above what they are currently making. I bet several would move for a $50k pay-raise.

That's what we all said before and during TC. It was at the cost of the rest of their roster and it was apparent early. They didn't have a good enough roster before signing Reilly and then they didn't re-sign so many of their good free agents.

OTOH BLM got big money and lost some top talent but still were in the fight for 1st most of the season.

So coaching and ultimate roster decisions made dropped the Lions into the dumpster.

BTW. Thanks for not re-signing Rose so he could join the Bombers.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
trapper

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »

Looks like Maas is the new Riders OC.

Riders are gonna have to add a few extra gatorade coolers to the budget.

Kidding aside, Maas has always been a good OC.  I like the signing.
blue_or_die

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2019, 07:46:58 PM »

Your gain is our loss, as a West opponent got stronger while we are about to lose our OC. I think Maas will work together great with CoFaj.

And I hate that.

Jesse

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »

Just more confirmation:

@TSN_Sports
 Football Insider
@TSNDaveNaylor reported Thursday he's hearing Jason Maas has completed a deal to join the Roughriders as their new offensive coordinator, replacing Steve McAdoo, whose contract will not be renewed. #CFL #Riders

My wife is amazing!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2019, 08:05:59 PM »

Your gain is our loss, as a West opponent got stronger while we are about to lose our OC. I think Maas will work together great with CoFaj.

And I hate that.

Maybe. It will be back to learning a new offense for Fajardo. I know he won some awards and impressed some people but I'm not totally sold on him yet. A lot of QBs looked good for a year and then faltered. He sort of came out of nowhere and I want to see more. He's definitely not bad but I don't know if he's great or a more of a middling Kevin Glenn type yet.
Jesse

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2019, 08:11:04 PM »

Maybe. It will be back to learning a new offense for Fajardo. I know he won some awards and impressed some people but I'm not totally sold on him yet. A lot of QBs looked good for a year and then faltered. He sort of came out of nowhere and I want to see more. He's definitely not bad but I don't know if he's great or a more of a middling Kevin Glenn type yet.

Upgrading at OC should help his development, not hurt it. Unless they have some crazy style differences.

My wife is amazing!
trapper

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »

The Riders changed their offense when Fajardo became the starter.  So in reality he had to learn two offenses before the third game of the season.  With Maas coming in now and building a Fajardo offense I think it will be SO much better for the kid.

Fajardo is not the 2nd coming.  He's no Ricky Ray or BLM or any other QB that was a superstar immediately.  But I always thought the Riders were weak at OC.  Now this offseason the offense will be built around Cody with an experienced and proven OC.  We will learn a LOT about Fajardo this year.
Pigskin

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »

Could be fun to see him throwing thing around in the booth.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Jesse

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »

Rick Campbell on reports of Jason Maas going to #Riders as OC:

"You always have to have a couple of answers. We'll see how it all shakes out. You never know. Sometimes news reports R true. Sometimes they're just rumours. You have to see how this all plays out." #CFL via
@TSN1040

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »

The Riders changed their offense when Fajardo became the starter.  So in reality he had to learn two offenses before the third game of the season.  With Maas coming in now and building a Fajardo offense I think it will be SO much better for the kid.

Fajardo is not the 2nd coming.  He's no Ricky Ray or BLM or any other QB that was a superstar immediately.  But I always thought the Riders were weak at OC.  Now this offseason the offense will be built around Cody with an experienced and proven OC.  We will learn a LOT about Fajardo this year.
What did they change?...so in the course of 3 plays they changed things?..what you ran in the Hamilton game, and most after that looked pretty much the same as ther last 2 years...nothing seemed too different..constant quick slants...hitches and the occasional rainbow deep ball...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »

I agree we'll learn a lot about him this year. I doubt they changed their entire offense in a week or two and if they did he certainly didn't learn it by the third game. They maybe emphasised a different set of plays but the system would still be the system. The terminology and philosophies would be the same or similar. They may have evolved it over the season somewhat, probably simplifying things for him, but they didn't install a completely new offense I wouldn't think.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2019, 09:50:51 PM »

You're saying they changed their offence when they lost Collaros in order to accommodate Fajardo?  I doubt it, neither of them is that specialized or different in style that they had to make drastic changes to the QB position or play calling.  It's the same basic plays with options added to suit the QB's preferences.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2019, 10:28:03 PM »

Personally think its a bad move Riders hiring Maas and BC hiring Campbell..He couldn't move the ball at all vs Hamilton with Harris. And Campbell will probably try to take a lot of our players. I don't think he knows how to build a team on his own. In Ottawa it was easy just pick off rosters. I hope we resign our secondary and linebackers. .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 10:32:00 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
jdrattops

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2019, 02:51:57 AM »

The only thing that changes over in Riderville are the yearly excuses. 
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2019, 03:23:27 AM »

Sask will be better now.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2019, 04:33:41 AM »

Sask will be better now.
they got loads of free agents as well. Time will tell...

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2019, 04:51:01 AM »

Meh.  I guess Riderville found their 2019 scapegoat in McAdont.  Well, he was pretty much universally hated at Riderfans forum for at least 2 years now.  The fans now have their pound of flesh.  Poor McAdont: he was loved less than Hall was loved here (before Hall won 3 playoff games for us that is).

It's funny, because didn't Cody and the SSK O have the most yards in 2019?  Like their OC didn't have anything to do with that?  Most wins in the west: guess McAdont was sleeping for those too!  How many yards and wins did Maas' bumbling Esks have again in the last 2 years, hmmm?

Sask will be better now.

Trying to look at this objectively, I see it as a wash.  On the plus side, Maas will probably run it more, and try more deep balls.  On the minus side, Maas will break things in the booth, bring anger and discord to the O, and thus take more O penalties.  SSK had a pretty good thing going with their dink & dunk quick ball control max-hold game.  Maas does not play that way.  We shall see if this makes them better or worse.

Never go full Rider!
booch

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2019, 01:37:23 PM »

Meh.  I guess Riderville found their 2019 scapegoat in McAdont.  Well, he was pretty much universally hated at Riderfans forum for at least 2 years now.  The fans now have their pound of flesh.  Poor McAdont: he was loved less than Hall was loved here (before Hall won 3 playoff games for us that is).

It's funny, because didn't Cody and the SSK O have the most yards in 2019?  Like their OC didn't have anything to do with that?  Most wins in the west: guess McAdont was sleeping for those too!  How many yards and wins did Maas' bumbling Esks have again in the last 2 years, hmmm?

Trying to look at this objectively, I see it as a wash.  On the plus side, Maas will probably run it more, and try more deep balls.  On the minus side, Maas will break things in the booth, bring anger and discord to the O, and thus take more O penalties.  SSK had a pretty good thing going with their dink & dunk quick ball control max-hold game.  Maas does not play that way.  We shall see if this makes them better or worse.

It's funny...they lambasted him the previous year, then said he was great when Fajardo went on his run and that it was personnel...not the OC...now they are happy to see him go...so which is it?

Mass is overrated if you ask me...he was in a couple situations where he had good players, and his schemes and his philosophies are nothing spectacular or awe inspiring...heavy pass and longer developing plays and a tendency to ignore the run...and if the Rider's don't overhaul their o-line that will be a recipe for disaster there and ol Fartado will have more than his poor lil obliques to worry about and need more than Jesus Sprinkles to survive and thrive in that
bluebeard

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2019, 02:19:55 PM »

Funny thing...most people said that of Regina last season and picked them to come in last.  They must have done something right to finish as high as they did or was it just horse shoes in their pockets.

Everyone thought that they would really be bad defensively when Jones left.  This was their strength.  They did luck out with Fajardo when given the chance.  Fajardo made McAdoo look good.  Is he a one year wonder (Fajardo) we shall see.  I just wonder who will pick up McAdoo as their OC or is he finished in the CFL.

So many questions on every team.  Should be a great off season.
BBRT

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »

they got loads of free agents as well. Time will tell...

I agree with Maas in as OC and with the number of free agents that they have not much is going to shake out until we get into the season. I think that will be the case for a number of teams. It will be interesting to see how well Maas handles the microscope that he will be under for every move he makes in Regina.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2019, 04:30:32 PM »

David William Naylor Retweeted
Saskatchewan Roughriders
@sskroughriders
?
2h
We have added Jason Maas as offensive coordinator through 2021.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
In Motion

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2019, 11:29:13 PM »

I'm very happy we didn't get Maas. I can't stand the man, plus I think he's overrated.
I guess time will tell.
dd

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2019, 02:46:35 PM »

There?s no way he was ever coming here. MOS would never put up with his childish tyraids on the sideline. Osh is all about discipline and this guys the poster child for lack of discipline. Should be a gong show in Saskatchewan, I can?t see mr awe shucks Dickenson  controlling this freak.
bluebeard

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »

There?s no way he was ever coming here. MOS would never put up with his childish tyraids on the sideline. Osh is all about discipline and this guys the poster child for lack of discipline. Should be a gong show in Saskatchewan, I can?t see mr awe shucks Dickenson  controlling this freak.
Don't under rate Craig Dickenson.  He fired his DL coach, Mike Schepper(?) during the middle of last season when there apparently was trouble in the ranks and brought in another coach.  He is the boss and is in complete control of his coaches or so O'Day has stated. Remember, This was Chris Jones staff and he left late leaving Dickenson no choice.

It will be interesting to see what other changes Dickenson makes...if any.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: