Blue Bombers Forum
September 26, 2021, 01:45:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Biggest Surprises  (Read 7872 times)
trapper

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 03:10:27 PM »

Biggest surprise for me is the consistently outstanding play of Willie Jefferson.  No doubt he performed well with the Riders but it seems he has stepped up a notch or two with the Bombers.  Did not expect him to be MODP material but he is.

He is as I was sure he was going to be.  He single-handedly won 2 games for the Riders last year.  His play is no surprise for me. 

Biggest surprise is how many good young QBs there are.  We have had years with tons of young QBs play and it was aweful.  Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Saskatchewan, and Montreal all look absolutely fine (and some cases better) with their backup QBs playing.

It is great for the league going forward....
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »

He is as I was sure he was going to be.  He single-handedly won 2 games for the Riders last year.  His play is no surprise for me. 

Biggest surprise is how many good young QBs there are.  We have had years with tons of young QBs play and it was awful.  Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Saskatchewan, and Montreal all look absolutely fine (and some cases better) with their backup QBs playing.

It is great for the league going forward....

To me this is the biggest story in the entire league this year. Fans always know about their own team's backups, and have opinions about them, but to see this kind of exposure of these guys this year, and the level at which they've performed has been quite astounding.

For Winnipeg, it's certainly changed the Streveler market. As I have posted a number of times in a number of places, the only obvious QB vacancy heading to 2020 is in Ottawa. They will have a pick from many QBs who've acquitted themselves quite well this season.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 05:00:54 PM »

To me this is the biggest story in the entire league this year. Fans always know about their own team's backups, and have opinions about them, but to see this kind of exposure of these guys this year, and the level at which they've performed has been quite astounding.

For Winnipeg, it's certainly changed the Streveler market. As I have posted a number of times in a number of places, the only obvious QB vacancy heading to 2020 is in Ottawa. They will have a pick from many QBs who've acquitted themselves quite well this season.

story/surprise of the season for sure...great to see these guys doing well in their opportunity.
J5V

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »

Biggest surprise for me is the consistently outstanding play of Willie Jefferson.  No doubt he performed well with the Riders but it seems he has stepped up a notch or two with the Bombers.  Did not expect him to be MODP material but he is.

Andrew Harris performing at an all-star level at this stage of his career is mildly surprising and I did not expect we would come up with a Janarion Grant-type of returner with the success he is having.

Better culture, better supporting cast.

Go Bombers!
blue newt

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 08:37:37 PM »

Everybody already gave the best answers! So I really have nothing to add...

Except to agree with others.

Biggest CFL surprise of the season: Backup quarterbacks puttin' on a show (interestingly enough, in the same season with the massive Reilly paycheck/signing, all these young quarterbacks show their thing, which actually may bring the price of future starting quarterbacks' paychecks down slightly, because suddenly there are more options on the market and there's less a sense of "If a team doesn't get one of the two big free agents this year, they're hooped".  It really shows how a young quarterback developed properly and given a chance can prove a viable alternative to big bucks.  Unless you're Ottawa.  Ottawa really struck out.)

Biggest Bomber surprise of the season:  Harris suspension.  Did not even remotely expect that to happen.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:53:13 PM by blue newt » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 08:51:46 PM »

Would love to know TSNs viewing stats this year. I would be surprised if they have not improved.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2019, 05:31:42 AM »

OK, so the QBs surprised everyone.  Here's the question:

Why were the backup QBs so good this year?

Think back to the last QB-injury-plague year, 2014 I think?  (or '15?)  Remember that year, and the years around it?  Basically every single #2, #3 (, #4) QB to hit the field was awful, or quickly became so.  Remember the MTL QB tribulations?  Or WPG in the years between Buck and Willy?  Or TOR whenever Ray got hurt?

Did the CFL just get super lucky this time?  It's quite shocking to think back to those dark, depressing QB years.

And to throw in some irony: I think the true #1's in '13-'15 were better than the #1's today.  The only true top-shelf QBs this year are BLM and MR.  So in the past the league had bad backups but great #1's, and now we have great backups and not-as-good #1's.  But it does make for a lot more parity this year.

Never go full Rider!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 08:16:24 PM »

Think back to the last QB-injury-plague year, 2014 I think?  (or '15?)  Remember that year, and the years around it?  Basically every single #2, #3 (, #4) QB to hit the field was awful, or quickly became so.  Remember the MTL QB tribulations?  Or WPG in the years between Buck and Willy?  Or TOR whenever Ray got hurt?

Did the CFL just get super lucky this time?  It's quite shocking to think back to those dark, depressing QB years.

And to throw in some irony: I think the true #1's in '13-'15 were better than the #1's today.  The only true top-shelf QBs this year are BLM and MR.  So in the past the league had bad backups but great #1's, and now we have great backups and not-as-good #1's.  But it does make for a lot more parity this year.

because it's a complete fallacy that a QB needs to carry a clipboard by 3+ years to be any good...you need to be smart, able to read a defense, be decisive, and have a strong arm...  oh, and one more thing... the starting QB to get hurt so you can actually get a chance to play... it's not as complicated as people would like to believe...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 07:03:01 AM »

because it's a complete fallacy that a QB needs to carry a clipboard by 3+ years to be any good...you need to be smart, able to read a defense, be decisive, and have a strong arm...  oh, and one more thing... the starting QB to get hurt so you can actually get a chance to play... it's not as complicated as people would like to believe...

Still doesn't explain why the backups were (mostly) so bad league-wide from '12-'17.  The guys trotted out during those years were sometimes raw and green, and sometimes were clipboard holders for a while, but almost to a man they stunk.

It used to be you'd get about 1 backup QB a year who would show CFL-starting-material during their first few starts.  Maybe 1 every 2 years would have long-term staying power.  This year we have, what, 5-6 backup QBs who look like they can win games consistently?  This is completely unheard of.  The only real "backup" QB who has completely bombed has been Dom Davis, and maybe Franklin.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 12:17:58 PM »

"BC as bad as they are" as a surprise seems popular.  But a huge chunk of people saw it coming...

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=51532.0

Pre Season Predictions... some pegged BC as worst in the West!
3rdand1.5
Colton
SSC
bluebeard
1chad

People who picked BC as 2nd worst in the West, only behind SSK:
Horseman
Goldmember
MOAB
Tecno
blue_or_die
booch
heart of gold

Funny, when people picked BC as 2nd worst, the worst was always SSK.  I guess many (me included) got blinded by our green-filtering glasses.  Or maybe not, as Zach probably would have SSK in the dumpster right about now.  SSK did luck out with Fajardo not being as horrifically awful as he was as a BC & TOR backup.

Personally, my big surprise is that SSK's D post-Jones is pretty much the same as SSK D with Jones.  Some presser said that the DC stayed the same and was basically keeping everything the same as Jones had it.  So I guess that explains it.  I thought it would be a "complete rebuild" year in SSK, but they kept it pretty consistent.

The biggest WPG surprise for me is we got a great return game this year.  Lucky is super, and then Grant comes along, and we also have Nelson at depth.  We may have the most-feared return game in the league this year, which is truly shocking.  I'm a big proponent of the theory that KW+Mafia are methodically making our team better each year, but I think the return game has just been a big lucky surprise / bonus / gravy.  I'll take it!

I think SSKs D took a huge step back, but their O took a huge step forward.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »

I don't think luck has much to do with our improvement in QB in the CFL. Some competing leagues folded and the CFL became the only viable option for those just outside the NFL bubble. It took a couple years after that to get them to come up here but is now bearing fruit.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 04:20:44 PM »

BC being as bad as they are is a surprise.  The number of #1 QBs getting injured is a surprise

And BC having a healthy Riley for the entire season so far is the big Whaaat? so far...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 07:51:15 PM »

BC stinking out the joint I am "not" completely surprised about to be honest. They laid all their eggs in a few baskets (Reilly, Chungh) and had nothing left to fill out the rest of the team. Certainly no depth at all. I felt they just might lay an egg and were way over-hyped to be sure. They lost almost all of their free agents and replaced them with no names or rookies. Their o-line was atrocious last season and improving one guard position was not going to improve that overnight.
bluebeard

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »

Better culture, better supporting cast.
To me, this brings up the fact that Walters has done a magnificent job of managing the Bombers since his inception of getting the GM portfolio.  We are very fortunate to have him.  Keep up the good work Mr. Walters.
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 04:12:40 PM »

You obviously didn't see how many bad QB's Montreal had post AC. Or for that matter the number of QB's Winnipeg has had in the last 20 years that were horrible,

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: