Blue Bombers Forum
June 22, 2021, 12:10:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt Nichols injured and out for the rest of the season  (Read 75062 times)
lenny

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »

Nichols possibly being lost is not good for the very reason he is chided - game management. The SP and defence created ball position. Nichols threw a couple of nice balls and Harris did what Harris does. All Streveler needs to do is control himself. As I stated as this season progressed, Streveler looks like he has regressed. He looks way too hyped up out there. I hope Sean McGuire is ready because I can see the Bombers putting him in there if things go south. The short pre-season showed a guy who can use the pocket and who is not just an athletic QB as Lapolice had that in Bennett and Streveler and Bennett was released because Lapo wanted a QB who it appears tends to think throw first. We need a steady hand at the wheel. This should be interesting though since both QBs faced each other in college and are fierce competitors.
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 12:37:27 PM »

I cant speculate what the injury is( I will though), but its not a good sign when the player immediately walks off and heads to the room.

His shoulder really jammed when he hit the turf.  The position of his arm when it hit, Im wondering if it could be his rotator cuff?

It's not the violin, it's the violinist
Ducky

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »

Obviously, we dont want Nichols injured.  And while I thought Streveler should get more reps I am not convinced he is a full time Qb.  Can he throw the ball well enough to be a starter? . 
thunderNlightning

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »

I cant speculate what the injury is( I will though), but its not a good sign when the player immediately walks off and heads to the room.

His shoulder really jammed when he hit the turf.  The position of his arm when it hit, Im wondering if it could be his rotator cuff?

That was right in front where we were sitting. He never really looked in terrible pain, but discomfort for sure.
bigbuff33

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 01:23:24 PM »

He was really feeling it, on target last night...
Those two bombs to Demski and Matthews...and if you watch the replay...
The strike to Lawler at the one yard line...he just fired it...

That was the Matt Nichols that can lead us...

Obviously hoping its not serious...would hope he's ready for the Sask back to back..
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »

He was really feeling it, on target last night...
Those two bombs to Demski and Matthews...and if you watch the replay...
The strike to Lawler at the one yard line...he just fired it...

That was the Matt Nichols that can lead us...

Obviously hoping its not serious...would hope he's ready for the Sask back to back..
if Streveler starts at the LDC he will be so pumped walking out there his head just might explode with excitement.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
DM83

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »

Yes I hope Strev  is pumped!

I am sure most of us are concerned about Strevs lack of ability to read defences though.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2019, 01:40:32 PM »

Nichols is definitely key to us being a winning team....he has thrown the most TDs of any QB and has the highest QB efficiency rating of them all as well.   That pick wasn't all on him as Woli bobbled the pass albeit it was slightly off target but still catchable.    We have 3 big games coming up and I hope he's not out for all of them.....Streveler is a good running QB but I'm not sure if he's progressed much this season.   The team will rally behind him though and we won another game passing for under 200 yards.   This team finds different ways to beat opponents every game.   The Esk D is a tough one and Harris can light it up so Streveler better be eating his Wheaties if Nichols is out!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
thunderNlightning

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 01:45:45 PM »

If I was a betting man, I?d say noo way Nichols plays next week at the minimum.
Norm W

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 01:48:42 PM »

I just finished binge watching 12 hours of Doogie Howser, I believe that makes my intra-web diagnostic credentials current. I believe the injury has more to do with Lemon's arm being between Nichols forearm and bicep as they make there way to the ground, Lemon's arm acts like a fulcrum essentially, stressing something in Nichols arm. Lemon had him wrapped up and Nichols couldn't free his arm(s) to protect or cushion the contact with the ground.

I will be shocked, no dumbfounded if the Bombers say anything about the extent of the injury until they have to declare the roster. The only thing I expect to hear is "its a day to day thing", followed by "Nichols is a pro he doesn't really need the reps" and finally on Thursday we will hear it's going to be a game time decision, we'll talk to Al and Matt and follow our process."  

If I'm coaching Edmonton I'm going into my week trying to game plan against AH33 and not worrying too much about who is going to be behind centre, the Bomber passing attack hasn't been scaring to many defenses. My plan will be pressure, regardless who is playing and stop AH33.      
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:50:15 PM by Norm W » Logged

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
TBURGESS

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »

Too bad for Nichols and the club. Looked like it might be dislocated to me. I'm hoping the MRI doesn't find any ligament or rotator cuff damage. That can be really bad on a QB's throwing arm. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Nichols goes on the 6 game or not.

As for Streveler... Glad he's getting a shot. Wish it was under better circumstances. Wish it was in the easy part of our schedule but you don't get to pick and choose as a backup. I doubt he'll be as good as some folks expect and I doubt he'll be as bad as other folks expect. I expect the team will carry Steveler.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2019, 01:55:29 PM »

Yes I hope Strev  is pumped!

I am sure most of us are concerned about Strevs lack of ability to read defences though.

Absolutely- pocket presence is limited and seems to want to take off and run right away...he is going to get creamed multiple times and 9/10 he bounces back up - but at some point he will take a shot that hurts him and we will be onto McGuire.  His accuracy is concerning too...hoping Nichols injury isn't season ending but I have a suspicion it could be - if he broke a bone or tore something in his throwing arm the road back is long
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:03:38 PM by The Zipp » Logged
bigbuff33

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2019, 02:09:12 PM »

First thought was separated shoulder...
But watching him go off the field...there's no way they would have allowed him to walk off on his own steam...
Moving his hand was a really good sign
We shall see.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »

If Streveler has to start next week, it's a good thing it's against Edmonton. Two of his starts last year were against Edmonton and he played well. There's some familiarity with their defence. As I indicated in another topic, I have more faith in him starting than coming off the bench. LaPo can install a game plan for him, instead of a limited package.

We've seen Arbuckle, Fajardo and others have success as a backup QB. Could be our turn.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
trapper

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 02:17:43 PM »

Hoping for a speedy recovery. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: