Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 08:51:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Team Cuts and Transactions.  (Read 169312 times)
the paw

« Reply #570 on: August 26, 2019, 02:34:28 PM »

Seasons have been starting earlier and most teams have played 10 games. I know over on the Lionbackers site they mentioned it's too late for them in that regard.

Also the date is sooner for the longer term vets and shorter a bit for 3 year players etc.

Date for 6 year veterans is after 9 games, 5 year veterans is 10 games, 4 year veterans 11 games, unless that changed in the new CBA. 

So there is still time for teams to do some cost cutting, depending on the target.  Another thought, the CBA states that a veteran cut after those dates is entitled to compensation equivalent to the balance of his contract, but it doesn't specifically state that such a payment goes against salary cap.  It probably does, but I don't see language to that effect in the clause. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #571 on: August 26, 2019, 02:52:20 PM »

Date for 6 year veterans is after 9 games, 5 year veterans is 10 games, 4 year veterans 11 games, unless that changed in the new CBA. 

So there is still time for teams to do some cost cutting, depending on the target.  Another thought, the CBA states that a veteran cut after those dates is entitled to compensation equivalent to the balance of his contract, but it doesn't specifically state that such a payment goes against salary cap.  It probably does, but I don't see language to that effect in the clause. 

Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Regina haven't played game 10 yet. BC has played 10 games and they have a bunch of older 5 year CFL vets. There might be some 4 year players but I'm not sure those will be the ones they want to get rid of or are making the bigger money deals.

Could be a few players getting released this week but I'm not expecting any big names or surprises around the league.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
DM83

« Reply #572 on: August 26, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »

Carter, Odell.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #573 on: August 26, 2019, 05:26:41 PM »

Carter, Odell.

Carter has been invisible- would be surprised if he isn't released. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #574 on: August 26, 2019, 05:39:09 PM »

He's in his 7 CFL season and past the 10 game rule. They can cut him but have to pay him at this point.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
DM83

« Reply #575 on: August 26, 2019, 08:18:56 PM »

I actually feel sorry for Reilly.  They should just hand off the ball and try and let him see October.  He's not going to get up after one of those hits.

I mean please get some offensive tackles who care and compete. I thought after one sack Reilly was going to get up and rifle the ball at one of his linemen.

Blue In BC

« Reply #576 on: August 26, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »

Carter, Odell.

Two weeks ago that's what they should have done.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
1chad

« Reply #577 on: August 26, 2019, 10:26:28 PM »

Two weeks ago that's what they should have done.
Agreed.  Too late now, but they still have to  get an OLine that can protect Reilly
buckzumhoff

« Reply #578 on: August 26, 2019, 10:47:15 PM »

Reilly has been missing open receivers. Last game he had a receiver open deep , he threw a 10 yard out. He has a receiver on a short pass he passes to a receiver deep that's in double coverage. O-line can only hold the line  so long. Theyre paying one of their o-line around 250 k, and the others were on the team last yr. Reilly is the only change. They had a better offense last year. Reilly never uses a screen or a run. He passes every down. Some quarterbacks are predictable and his coach is not very good.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:00:48 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
66 Chevelle

« Reply #579 on: August 27, 2019, 05:48:46 AM »

maybe they should put at running back... at least that way you may get some production out of him...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #580 on: August 27, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »

Agreed.  Too late now, but they still have to  get an OLine that can protect Reilly

You mean BC is stuck with DC for the rest of 2019??  Hervey and Clay must be dumber than I thought.

Or maybe they are too prideful to admit their mistake... in for a penny, in for a pound.

Oh well, while I have sympathy for MR, I have none for the clowns running that gong show.

Never go full Rider!
DM83

« Reply #581 on: August 27, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »

Yup me. Too.
Hervey should have never been awarded a Managerial job in the first place.
Claybrooks is really an assistant coach .  And the there is the hat thing. .

Plus they have a lame duck owner. That franchise is in trouble.  At this point Reilly has to be saying, dang! This was a mistake.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 03:08:07 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #582 on: August 27, 2019, 03:47:40 PM »

LOL. At least one Lions fan is suggesting cutting Reilly to free up some SMS money. Apparently he doesn't know they'd still have to pay Reilly the balance of his salary.

Free up the money? For who.

Fans are not very happy in Vancouver but that's just an insane idea.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
BlueInCgy

« Reply #583 on: August 27, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »

LOL. At least one Lions fan is suggesting cutting Reilly to free up some SMS money. Apparently he doesn't know they'd still have to pay Reilly the balance of his salary.

Free up the money? For who.

Fans are not very happy in Vancouver but that's just an insane idea.

That's 25% of the Lions fan base, they'd do well to listen...?... Roll Eyes

They'll play him out until he gets hurt (he's on track for 70 sacks this season, at the very least there's a cumulative affect there), or at least until they are completely mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (their next five games are against East opponents, so if they ran the table on that they could theoretically catch Calgary as the Stamps have Edm X 2, Ham, Toronto, Mtl in the same time frame, unlikely they lose all, but they could lose three and make it close), and then they'll ride the season with O'Brien or some other prospect and see if there's anything there.  Or they trade for one of Toronto's QBs just to test the water for next year.

Whether or not they keep Reilly next season will be interesting.  Without fixing their Oline problems, it's hard to pay 700K just to watch a guy get killed, and to fix those problems they will need cap space and dollars.  If you're losing with James Franklin or Mike Reilly, does it really make a difference.

Of course, if Reilly did get cut in the off season (I can't see anyone trading for that contract value, though you never know), it certainly would make for a very interesting scenario.
Pigskin

« Reply #584 on: August 27, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »

Reilly to Winnipeg for 2nd round pick and BC picks up half of his remaining salary. LOL

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42
  Print  

Jump to: