Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 09:02:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Team Cuts and Transactions.  (Read 169330 times)
Wanna-b-fanboy

Richard Harris 1948-2011

« Reply #525 on: August 20, 2019, 08:14:35 PM »

Not re-signing Westerman worked in our favor and that's great. Glad it did. However, at the end of the day this non-signing should not be hailed as a smart move by Walters.

IIRC, Westerman took less money to go to the Als to play with his brother and be closer to his family... I don't think Walters could have given him any more money.
booch

« Reply #526 on: August 20, 2019, 08:17:32 PM »

FALSE..He took around 35k more to bolt out east
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #527 on: August 20, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »

FALSE..He took around 35k more to bolt out east
haha

That money grubbing......guy!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
1chad

« Reply #528 on: August 21, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »

Hate to see potentially career ending injuries for any player.
theaardvark

« Reply #529 on: August 21, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »

I hate it when people high five their GM for not re-signing someone after they get injured on their new team like it was a stroke of genius or something. Not re-signing Westerman worked in our favor and that's great. Glad it did. However, at the end of the day this non-signing should not be hailed as a smart move by Walters. It should be labelled as a fortuitous move because that is how it turned out. There is no GM that makes decisions based on injuries that have not happened yet unless there is a significant injury history to consider.

Pretty sure Westerman's injuries this year are re-injuries, no?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
rubanski

« Reply #530 on: August 21, 2019, 12:15:29 PM »

Yes and no. If Westerman has become a non factor because he was injured and that injury made it so he was never the same, then I agree with you. But if his injury coincided with him also getting over the hill and simply not able to bounce back like a young and/or more athletic player would, then some credit can be given for foresight to that situation. Hard to say if there was any 'genius' involved in the decision to move on from him, or just luck that we didn't end up having to deal with the fallout. Since these things are extremely difficult to predict, I'd say it's more likely the latter, though.

Well said. GM'ing is more of an art than a science. I applauded the move above and stick by my comments. Westermann wanted to be paid extremely high, and hasn't produced to that level. The injury simply provides a moment in time we are discussing him, so I bring it up.
Pigskin

« Reply #531 on: August 21, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »

Westermen was good when he was a Bomber. A starting Canadian that was very effective. What he got paid was far to much, and on top of that he took way to many penalties. Now his body is breaking down at 34. Another one up for MR. Walters.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
DM83

« Reply #532 on: August 21, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »

He had an odd career here.  He was great the first year.  Then took way too many penalties the next.  His over estimation of his value was misguided.  We got better players for less money, who don't take penalties. Happy retirement! Get healthy!
GCn19

« Reply #533 on: August 21, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »

Pretty sure Westerman's injuries this year are re-injuries, no?

Nope

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #534 on: August 21, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »

Yes and no. If Westerman has become a non factor because he was injured and that injury made it so he was never the same, then I agree with you. But if his injury coincided with him also getting over the hill and simply not able to bounce back like a young and/or more athletic player would, then some credit can be given for foresight to that situation. Hard to say if there was any 'genius' involved in the decision to move on from him, or just luck that we didn't end up having to deal with the fallout. Since these things are extremely difficult to predict, I'd say it's more likely the latter, though.

At the time of his injury last year, Westerman was among the league leaders in sacks and QB pressures. Also, we offered him 190k to re-sign. It's not like Walters walked away from him. Had Montreal not gone loco Westerman would be a Bomber and one of our highest paid. Walters can thank Kavis for blowing his brains out on Westerman because if he doesn't we are criticizing Walters right now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:43:45 PM by GCn18 » Logged

bowlerdude

« Reply #535 on: August 21, 2019, 02:54:04 PM »

At the time of his injury last year, Westerman was among the league leaders in sacks and QB pressures. Also, we offered him 190k to re-sign. It's not like Walters walked away from him. Had Montreal not gone loco Westerman would be a Bomber and one of our highest paid. Walters can thank Kavis for blowing his brains out on Westerman because if he doesn't we are criticizing Walters right now.

That's not true. At the time he was traded from Montreal to Hamilton, that may have been true. At the time of his injury, he had 3 sacks in 13 games.

190k to 225k is a pretty significant difference. It makes sense to not get caught up in a bidding war for a 34 year old, in any case.
Pigskin

« Reply #536 on: August 21, 2019, 03:40:58 PM »

I agree, getting caught up in a bidding war, never good. I believe he was closer to 32 at that time.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
GCn19

« Reply #537 on: August 21, 2019, 04:10:09 PM »

I agree, getting caught up in a bidding war, never good. I believe he was closer to 32 at that time.

I also agree that getting into a bidding war with Kavis would be pointless. We put an outstanding offer on the table.

rubanski

« Reply #538 on: August 21, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »

I also agree that getting into a bidding war with Kavis would be pointless. We put an outstanding offer on the table.

Aside from Kavis putting more on the table, we have to also wonder how much he payed him UNDER the table.

Undecided Undecided
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #539 on: August 21, 2019, 05:10:16 PM »

Aside from Kavis putting more on the table, we have to also wonder how much he payed him UNDER the table.

Undecided Undecided

Anyone else suspect the CFL blackballed Kavis into silence by making all of those allegations of wrong-doing public?  Sure haven't heard much from him since he was fired.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: