Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 09:26:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Team Cuts and Transactions.  (Read 169361 times)
kkc60

« Reply #480 on: August 13, 2019, 03:27:48 AM »

it's not like BC couldn't use the help either...
They also like their Canadian receivers
TecnoGenius

« Reply #481 on: August 13, 2019, 03:34:33 AM »

They also like their Canadian receivers

Good point.  Putting JFG in place of DC would be a huge upgrade: JFG would actually make some clutch catches and get yards.  And they need help with the ratio with their new 3 IMP OL.

Whatever happened to that Coats guy that was JFG's replacement here until he got injured?  He just seemed to disappear from the league.

Never go full Rider!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #482 on: August 13, 2019, 05:49:11 AM »

You beat me to it.  Saying Harris' catches are only 1 foot catches in disingenuous.  Nichols is still throwing 5-15 yard passes, it's just they are mostly lateral axis, or dumps after Nichols drops way back, or screens, etc.  Saying "1 foot!" without qualifying it makes it sound like every "pass" is a fly sweep shuttle for 1 "air foot", which is just not true.

If teams are stupid enough to not have a good defender (or 2) spy Harris all night, then they deserve to see our '17 Harris dump shoved down their throats.  Harris gets 5+ on each dump, and we're sitting pretty, and the opponent suffers until they learn they have to spy Harris (and open up our SBs for some action!).  Most teams this year know to spy Harris, but for some reason CGY thought they could just leave him in space.  Dumb move.

It's not disingenuous at all, it's the way that all passing stats are calculated and recorded for both receivers and quarterbacks.  It's no different than kick returns, return guys don't get credit for yards ran east and west on a return, only the north and south yards...

I assumed everyone knew how passing stats are kept by the league, it wasn't an attempt to mislead anyone. I assume it goes without saying that the ball actually goes further than 1 foot on a screen pass... I also assumed that everyone knew that only yards past the line of scrimmage counted for anything...

And, if you look at the box score you will normally see that Harris' catches are generally less productive than those caught by other receivers... It's not uncommon for his avg yd per catch to be shorter than those catches by other receivers.

And for that reason that's why the defense basically allows it to happen I defended. They are more than happy to keep the play in front of them and allow Harris to catch all the balls he wants to behind the line of scrimmage on 2nd and 7... They're betting they have a better chance of stopping him short than allowing a receiver to be open past the chains... Part of the reason we have the second most 2 and outs in the league.

Sure, Harris is a stud, but at times the Bombers would be better served getting the ball to someone else... The check down is always going to be there and there a reason for that...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #483 on: August 13, 2019, 06:19:21 AM »

His perpetual rail-fail and especially that botched kick return did him in.  If you don't catch that kick in OTT, you are gone the next day!   Grin  I bet their returners are sweating bullets back there waiting for the ball knowing they'll be fired... maybe that's why they keep making mistakes.

And who on earth puts JFG back for field a punt?  That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard.  Dude is built for punishing hits, not speed or agility.  It's almost like OTT wanted an excuse to fire him, "hey you, go back there and fail field this kick even though you've never done it before".

Not sure where JFG ends up, but teams who are short on NAT WRs and understand how to use him could do worse than picking him up.  I would put JFG in the slot and have him take the punishing clutch catches across the middle with everyone hitting him at speed.  That is what JFG is best at.  I would never, ever, have him go deeper than 20 yards, as he'll whiff on the catch every single time.

Regarding JFG, he's made some great deep receptions during his career including in playoff games with the RB's, mostly because opponents tended to overlook him when he's mixed in with more dangerous receivers like Ellingson and Sinopoli. I agree he stood no chance on "go routes" with the Bombers, but they never should have used him in that way in the first place as they did not have adequate receiver talent in the years that he was here to stealth him.  In the right circumstance he's a tough inside clutch receiver and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the Bombers give him another shot as a Natl. backup, which I believe they still need after disposing of Simonese.  Like Jake, JFG is a blue-collar underdog and can't help but give the guy full respect for foraging a long CFL career on hard-work with minimal natural talent.

As for Campbell sending a message by scapegoating players who make mistakes in lost games, he's setting a dangerous precedent in the locker room, here's hoping it backfires on his ***.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:33:32 AM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #484 on: August 13, 2019, 06:35:12 AM »

Regarding JFG, he's made some great deep receptions during his career including in playoff games with the RB's

I don't forget those.  But they were as I said, zone sitting and forgotten-man mid-range passes.  Never on the rail go-route (except once)  Grin Cheesy  Sorry, I just have a thing about JFG and rails.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the Bombers give him another shot as a Natl. backup, which I believe they still need after disposing of Simonese.  Like Jake, JFG is an blue-collar underdog and can't help but give the guy full respect for foraging a long CFL career on hard-work with minimal talent.

You're talking to JFG's old #1 fan club!  I contemplated getting a jersey with JFG on it when he was here.  The clutch catches he made for us, and only ever coughed up one (ONE!) fumble (to a massive Grymes hit), I just loved the guy.

But I don't think we ever grab him again because I'm still convinced it was likely him that screwed up that play the game before he was benched; that near end of game botched play where either JFG or 66's Washington didn't block right or get set right, and we lose that game.  Nichols was seething after, and called out "some players who don't know their assignments" (paraphrasing).  If that was JFG's fault, he's never coming back while Nichols, Lapo and MOS are here.  It's more likely it was JFG because LDW might be forgiven, as he was a rookie.  JFG had been here for years and should have known his responsibilities down pat.

I'm not even convinced JFG is still good enough (and young enough) to get snapped up by any team unless there's a rash of NAT WR injuries and there is no other choice.  Dunno.  Not sure either way.

As for Campbell sending a message by scapegoating players who make mistakes in lost games, he's setting a dangerous precedent in the locker room, here's hoping it backfires on his ***.

+100.  It is quite an odd thing for a usually-respected, non-rookie coach to do!  Sure, guys like Jones would do it, but Campbell's supposed to be a "nice guy".  I love how canned-Lankford gets 2 massive returns within 2 weeks of leaving OTT.  It'd be fun to see JFG get some huge yards somewhere else too.  I hope their remaining returners are so worried that they fumble every kick from now on.

Never go full Rider!
DM83

« Reply #485 on: August 13, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »

Odd management decision to let JFG go.
Odd,coaching choice to put him in as a punt returner.

Then again, Ottawa let their entire Grey Cup team go....!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:35:57 PM by The Zipp » Logged
rubanski

« Reply #486 on: August 13, 2019, 01:40:32 PM »

Super weird having JFG returning punts. Didn't watch a ton of the game, but saw that.

Lankford then JFG. It's all the returners fault you see...
TBURGESS

« Reply #487 on: August 13, 2019, 01:43:46 PM »

JFG isn't a great receiver and he never has been. No, he wouldn't be an upgrade over Carter.  He brings in about 200 yards a season in receptions. He's ranked 52 in the league in receiving yards this year. I'm surprised he's lasted this long and I'll be surprised if another team picks him up this year, although his passport has some value.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Ridermania

« Reply #488 on: August 13, 2019, 01:47:30 PM »

Ottawa Redblacks have signed returner Stefan Logan.
GCn19

« Reply #489 on: August 13, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »

Good old Federal Express is back in the league. Envelopes are now on route.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #490 on: August 13, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »

JFG isn't a great receiver and he never has been. No, he wouldn't be an upgrade over Carter.  He brings in about 200 yards a season in receptions. He's ranked 52 in the league in receiving yards this year. I'm surprised he's lasted this long and I'll be surprised if another team picks him up this year, although his passport has some value.

I always thought he was good for a clutch 2nd down catch for a 1st down from time to time though... Most people weren't expecting the ball to go to him... I like the guy... Probably because of his blue collar type of play...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
rubanski

« Reply #491 on: August 13, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »

He'll have to open a new numbered company to distribute cheques in Ottawa, league was on to the scam in MTL after all...
blue_or_die

« Reply #492 on: August 13, 2019, 03:41:23 PM »

And right after his 76th birthday! Congrats to him!

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #493 on: August 13, 2019, 03:41:51 PM »

JFG / go rail routes.  If a player fails at a route repeatedly, who is to blame if he fails at it again?

As to being a returner, most good nat WR's have returned in their day.  So, when your primary guy goes down, they can be the backup.  Sometimes its a DB backing up at Ret, sometimes its a WR.  And Nat WR have more experience at that, usually.  So I get why he was in there.  

I think he deserves another chance elsewhere, I suggested MTL because of proximity to home.  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #494 on: August 13, 2019, 03:42:59 PM »

He'll have to open a new numbered company to distribute cheques in Ottawa, league was on to the scam in MTL after all...

Have to wonder if he was under investigation in MTL, and if he was, would that affect him signing elsewhere now?  I guess if nothing was "proven"...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: