Blue Bombers Forum
October 19, 2021, 07:43:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Team Cuts and Transactions.  (Read 175041 times)
Ridermania

« Reply #300 on: June 28, 2019, 06:15:34 PM »

Riders have signed 2019 #CFL Supplemental Draft selection, National OL, Jake Bennett to a three-year contract.

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/28/riders-sign-supplemental-draft-pick-canadian-ol-jake-bennett/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:08:05 PM by Ridermania » Logged
booch

« Reply #301 on: June 28, 2019, 08:27:13 PM »

Poor guy
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #302 on: June 28, 2019, 08:32:50 PM »

Poor guy
lol...yep

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Ridermania

« Reply #303 on: June 28, 2019, 09:54:52 PM »

You guys are so funny!!!
theaardvark

« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2019, 10:01:48 PM »

Riders have signed 2019 #CFL Supplemental Draft selection, National OL, Jake Bennett to a three-year contract.

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/28/riders-sign-supplemental-draft-pick-canadian-ol-jake-bennett/

But he can get out in 2 with good behaviour...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2019, 11:59:56 PM »

Didier Ormejuste  @DidierRDS
According to Kavis Reed, Taylor Loffler suffered a torn meniscus. The plan is for him to miss next week's game after which he will be re-evaluated and will get surgery if needed. If Loffler ends up getting surgery he would subsequently be out for 4-6 weeks. #Alouettes @CFL

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2019, 12:02:43 AM »

Didier Ormejuste  @DidierRDS
According to Kavis Reed, Taylor Loffler suffered a torn meniscus. The plan is for him to miss next week's game after which he will be re-evaluated and will get surgery if needed. If Loffler ends up getting surgery he would subsequently be out for 4-6 weeks. #Alouettes @CFL
Keeping a cheaper Hecht looks like a clearly better manoeuvre.

Hecht made another great play yesterday hitting hard and dislodging the ball from the receiver.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
theaardvark

« Reply #307 on: June 29, 2019, 12:34:39 AM »

Keeping a cheaper Hecht looks like a clearly better manoeuvre.

Hecht made another great play yesterday hitting hard and dislodging the ball from the receiver.

Hecht seems to be hitting with all the force Loffler did.  I don't know what they are putting in his Wheaties, but he is a different player since arriving in Bomberland...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
VictorRomano

« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2019, 02:20:11 AM »

Hecht also looks like Zach Galafinakis' character from The Hangover....all he needs is a baby strapped to his belly and a pair of aviator sunglasses....

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2019, 03:56:19 AM »

THe price tag being too high had everything to do with injury concern.  If he was less of a risk, you go ahead and pay for a talent of his calibre, like Reed did. But the decision factors are "how much can we pay a safety, how much do we risk signing an injury prone safety, how good are the replacements we have in house".  If we have no one to replace him, and he never missed a game or practice, no doubt we find the budget to sign him.  Just like JSK.  

But why spend excessive SMS on a player that might not play, when you have other options that will.  We didn't sign Westerman coming off a pec injury, but signed Jefferson, who doesn't miss games or practices.  Having a healthy roster and a small 1 game IR means your SMS is on the field... limiting exposure to injury is a huge SMS factor...

He missed the last two regular season games last year.  Not a good trend in a contract year.  He had an all star season every year he played.  No doubting his talent.  

But Loffler missed more practices than probably any other Bomber, I don't know about the rest of the league, but I'd guess he was a top practice misser leaguewide.  Sure, players will occasionally take a "vet day", but with Loffler it seemed to be the rule, not the exception...  the "search" was "loffler practice" on twitter...  

Risk / reward.  I loved his play, and grateful for his service.  But I'm darn glad we didn't match Reed's offer.  Regardless of what has transpired, I said at the time that Reed made a mistake.

You may not recall that upon signing his first contract with Wpg. Loffler negotiated the right to manage his practice schedule as he saw fit due to his substantial injury history in college.  If he missed many practices but played in 70 out of 74 games while a Bomber and still made all-star each season I would say he managed his body well, absorbed the playbook and performed his job at a very high level.

kkc60

« Reply #310 on: June 29, 2019, 07:27:27 AM »

You may not recall that upon signing his first contract with Wpg. Loffler negotiated the right to manage his practice schedule as he saw fit due to his substantial injury history in college.  If he missed many practices but played in 70 out of 74 games while a Bomber and still made all-star each season I would say he managed his body well, absorbed the playbook and performed his job at a very high level.

I don't get what Aards is trying to prove, unless he's trying to prove that he has an issue with grasping for straws that don't exist.

Loffler preserved himself and played almost every game possible. I never recall him looking lost or out of shape so really all this hullabaloo is about nothing. Ya know how sometimes the hardest part is letting go? I think Aards just needs to accept the guys are gone and quit trying to think of excuses as to why certain roster changes were made
TecnoGenius

« Reply #311 on: June 29, 2019, 07:40:35 AM »

There is no genius involved at all. JSK wanted more than we could give without sacrificing the money to fix some very glaring needs elsewhere.

Aards is right in that injury probability does factor into a GM's choices.  It probably factored into not resigning Dressler too.  Surely you must admit that it is at least a tiny factor, even just 1%.  If I'm making big choices, I am laying out all the pros/cons and ranking them by importance.  Injury-prone-ness may be low on the list, but it is on that list.

Now, MOS/KW are smart for seeing that Wilson was ready to take over JSK's spot at half the price.  We now have 2 games in and Wilson has been great in both.  In fact EDM steered away from Wilson's side most of the night.  And how can you not love a WILL named WILson.  Seriously  Grin  Shocked  (We had WILd, too.)

Chungh was a tough loss, we wanted him apparently badly, It seems BC wanted him even more and arguably overpaid...Walters tried and deserves credit for potentially not over paying
[...]
Look every GM wins some and losses some and Walters is no different, he is not a god of GM's but he seems like a good steady GM.

What KW should get major credit for is not getting the GM "tunnel vision" that some others do where they focus on certain players and then bid up the $$ to whatever it takes, even if it's insane, and will hurt their team in other places.  Kavis has that problem.  Hervey has that problem.  Maybe even EDM's GM has that problem.

KW does not have that problem.  He makes a fair offer, plays up his locker room and GC potential, and says take it or leave it.  One thing you can never accuse KW of is over-spending!  Even prior "big spends" like Nichols' $500k contract, Bighill and Jefferson now look cheap compared to the insanity going on elsewhere.

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »

Aards is right in that injury probability does factor into a GM's choices.  It probably factored into not resigning Dressler too.  Surely you must admit that it is at least a tiny factor, even just 1%.  If I'm making big choices, I am laying out all the pros/cons and ranking them by importance.  Injury-prone-ness may be low on the list, but it is on that list.

Now, MOS/KW are smart for seeing that Wilson was ready to take over JSK's spot at half the price.  We now have 2 games in and Wilson has been great in both.  In fact EDM steered away from Wilson's side most of the night.  And how can you not love a WILL named WILson.  Seriously  Grin  Shocked  (We had WILd, too.)

What KW should get major credit for is not getting the GM "tunnel vision" that some others do where they focus on certain players and then bid up the $$ to whatever it takes, even if it's insane, and will hurt their team in other places.  Kavis has that problem.  Hervey has that problem.  Maybe even EDM's GM has that problem.

KW does not have that problem.  He makes a fair offer, plays up his locker room and GC potential, and says take it or leave it.  One thing you can never accuse KW of is over-spending!  Even prior "big spends" like Nichols' $500k contract, Bighill and Jefferson now look cheap compared to the insanity going on elsewhere.

Sorry evidence does not support your argument regarding Walters frugality, he's bought into the high spending game hook, line and Catamaran.  He's made Jefferson the highest paid DE in the league, Bighill the highest paid MLB, and pursued both Walker and Ellingson two of the highest paid receivers in earnest trying to win the bid for their services.  I suspect he paid Matthews in the ball park of $225,000 in order to check off the costly receiver box on his list of wants.  This coming off-season he gets to deal with Nichols and Streveler contracts so we will see the implications on the team of having to pay one or both of them hefty raises if he wants to retain them.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:20:02 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
TBURGESS

« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2019, 01:20:43 PM »

This years 20-20 hindsight award goes to Walters. Turns out he somehow knew that Loffler and JSK would end up on the 6 man IR on their new teams so they weren't worth the money they were asking for.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
theaardvark

« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2019, 04:52:25 PM »

Not sure how much was steering away from Wilson and how much was steering towards Fenner... Wink   

We definately are a preferred destination now, both the team and the culture and even a little bit the fans and facility.  Matthews wanted to come here, Jefferson, Bighill both chose us over other teams.  These are BIG names that we landed not because we trotted out the checkbook, we paid fair value and got awesome players.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: