Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2021, 10:05:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Team Cuts and Transactions.  (Read 169422 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »

True enough, however, if he had signed here no one would have been particularly worried that he'd go out in week 2. It would have been business as usual. There wouldn't have been a lot of people thinking he wouldn't have been able to keep playing. Certainly not a Collaros-type worry. He was a guy who had a lot of injuries in college but was having a very healthy pro career. At least in terms of games played.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2019, 03:54:08 PM »

Seriously?  Loffler fell to the third round due to injury concerns.  Loffler practiced occasionally, to limit injury concerns.  He was always coddled here. because of injury concerns, and we managed to get a good number of games out of him, through "load management".  Not saying he isn't a huge talent and a joy to watch come downhill and obliterate opponents.  But I'd be lying if I said I didn't cringe every time he did, expecting him to not get up...

Loffler suited up for 50 of a possible 54 games while he was a Bomber.  That is literally the opposite of "injury concern"

the paw

« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2019, 03:55:51 PM »

Please explain to me how Loffler was an injury concern. The guy played just about every game here. That's pure baloney that you have created in your own head to try justify us not being able to afford his services any longer.

The guy had 4 major surgeries before finishing college (2 ACLs on the same knee, and labral tears in each hip).  I think its fair to say that there were concerns about his injury history.  I think its clear the Bombers thought it was worth the risk, and whether you call it load management or maintenance days, his practice regimen was tailored to keeping him healthy.

Having said that, none of that history was why the Bombers didn't sign him again.  they had figured out how to use him successfully, they just didn't want to commit SMS dollars to the safety position above a certain level.  Loffler's excellence priced him out of the Bomber's budget.  That is as plain as the beak on Boomer's face.

No GM with a ouija board, magic 8-ball, or other prescient powers led to avoiding him.  

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2019, 03:59:36 PM »

I just made up injury concerns...

Darrin Bauming, TSN. @DarrinBauming
22 Aug 2017
Taylor Loffler will go the week without practicing. Mike O'Shea would not rule him in/out but thinks he'll be OK. Derek Jones up next.

Jeff Hamilton @jeffkhamilton
26 Oct 2018
#Bombers announce that S Taylor Loffler has been ruled out for tonight's game agaisnt the Stamps. Loffler got banged up during Wednesday's closed practice and is likely to be replaced by Jeff Hecht, or by committee. RB Johnny Augustine draws into the game. #wfp

7 Sep 2017
O'Shea says Taylor Loffler will "be good" for the #BanjoBowl despite not practicing. Kyle Knox is in question, but a possibility. #Bombers

7 Sep 2017
The trend continues of Taylor Loffler being a non-participant at #Bombers practice lately. He has not missed a start this season.

23 Aug 2017
Taylor Loffler is in after missing practice throughout the week. Considering Abu Conteh is off, I assume Loffler will indeed play. #Bombers

21 Aug 2017
Taylor Loffler is missing a consecutive practice today. If he can't go Thur, O'Shea is confident in fourth-year #Bombers safety Derek Jones.

Bob Irving @BobIrvingCJOB
10 Aug 2017
No Taylor loffler at bomber practice but Mike Oshea says "he just needed a day" and will be ready for Hamilton

6 Jun 2017
Taylor Loffler returns to practice after missing six days. Darvin Adams looks doubtful for Saturday night. #Bombers

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2019, 03:59:53 PM »

The guy had 4 major surgeries before finishing college (2 ACLs on the same knee, and labral tears in each hip).  I think its fair to say that there were concerns about his injury history.  I think its clear the Bombers thought it was worth the risk, and whether you call it load management or maintenance days, his practice regimen was tailored to keeping him healthy.

Having said that, none of that history was why the Bombers didn't sign him again.  they had figured out how to use him successfully, they just didn't want to commit SMS dollars to the safety position above a certain level.  Loffler's excellence priced him out of the Bomber's budget.  That is as plain as the beak on Boomer's face.

No GM with a ouija board, magic 8-ball, or other prescient powers led to avoiding him.  

Exactly. Loffler's injury history had zero to do with why we didn't re-sign him. His price tag had everything to do with it.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »

22 Aug 2017
Taylor Loffler will go the week without practicing. Mike O'Shea would not rule him in/out but thinks he'll be OK. Derek Jones up next.

26 Oct 2018
#Bombers announce that S Taylor Loffler has been ruled out for tonight's game agaisnt the Stamps. Loffler got banged up during Wednesday's closed practice and is likely to be replaced by Jeff Hecht, or by committee. RB Johnny Augustine draws into the game. #wfp

7 Sep 2017
O'Shea says Taylor Loffler will "be good" for the #BanjoBowl despite not practicing. Kyle Knox is in question, but a possibility. #Bombers

7 Sep 2017
The trend continues of Taylor Loffler being a non-participant at #Bombers practice lately. He has not missed a start this season.

23 Aug 2017
Taylor Loffler is in after missing practice throughout the week. Considering Abu Conteh is off, I assume Loffler will indeed play. #Bombers

21 Aug 2017
Taylor Loffler is missing a consecutive practice today. If he can't go Thur, O'Shea is confident in fourth-year #Bombers safety Derek Jones.

10 Aug 2017
No Taylor loffler at bomber practice but Mike Oshea says "he just needed a day" and will be ready for Hamilton

6 Jun 2017
Taylor Loffler returns to practice after missing six days. Darvin Adams looks doubtful for Saturday night. #Bombers

2018 CFL all star at safety.

Not sure why you have this need to diss some ex Bombers that played very well for us when they were here.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:03:15 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »

22 Aug 2017

26 Oct 2018

7 Sep 2017

7 Sep 2017

23 Aug 2017

21 Aug 2017

10 Aug 2017

6 Jun 2017

I could find similar tweets about virtually any 4th year player in this league. If you can find me a veteran CFLer that has never missed a game or two or been held out of practice then I salute you. He started 50 out of a possible 54 games over 3 years here. I commend you for your search, but it completely lacks any validity at all.

GCn19

« Reply #292 on: June 28, 2019, 04:06:02 PM »

2018 CFL all star at safety.

Not sure why you have this need to diss some ex Bombers that played very well for us when they were here.

Especially a guy who was extremely reliable? Makes no sense. Not sure why Aards feels the need to smear the reputation of players to try make Kyle Walters look better?

Bottom line is whether we are talking about Chungh, JSK, or Loffler the facts are that they are all very good football players that we moved on from because we couldn't afford them any more. There was no consideration of them being injury risks, or anything else. Bottom line we needed the SMS room for other priorities.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:09:24 PM by GCn18 » Logged

BlueInCgy

« Reply #293 on: June 28, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »

22 Aug 2017

26 Oct 2018

7 Sep 2017

7 Sep 2017

23 Aug 2017

21 Aug 2017

10 Aug 2017

6 Jun 2017

So you have 7 quotes from 2017, a season in which he missed 1 game.  That's the same season where Weston Dressler missed, what, 7 games, but KW didn't move away from him in 2018, and he missed another 5 that season.  That's what an "actual" injury concern looks like.  You know, where they "actually" get hurt.

kkc60

« Reply #294 on: June 28, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »

Especially a guy who was extremely reliable? Makes no sense. Not sure why Aards feels the need to smear the reputation of players to try make Kyle Walters look better?
Because he takes everything personally. I'm sure even KW would scoff and laugh at how ridiculous Aards can be.

GCn19

« Reply #295 on: June 28, 2019, 04:10:37 PM »

So you have 7 quotes from 2017, a season in which he missed 1 game.  That's the same season where Weston Dressler missed, what, 7 games, but KW didn't move away from him in 2018, and he missed another 5 that season.  That's what an "actual" injury concern looks like.  You know, where they "actually" get hurt.

And actually miss game time. Just a pointless set of examples he was trying to sell.

GCn19

« Reply #296 on: June 28, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »

Because he takes everything personally. I'm sure even KW would scoff and laugh at how ridiculous Aards can be.

You are probably right. If he read the praise he gets from Aards he'd probably get a good chuckle out of some of the genius he is being given credit for.

theaardvark

« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2019, 04:20:39 PM »

Exactly. Loffler's injury history had zero to do with why we didn't re-sign him. His price tag had everything to do with it.

THe price tag being too high had everything to do with injury concern.  If he was less of a risk, you go ahead and pay for a talent of his calibre, like Reed did. But the decision factors are "how much can we pay a safety, how much do we risk signing an injury prone safety, how good are the replacements we have in house".  If we have no one to replace him, and he never missed a game or practice, no doubt we find the budget to sign him.  Just like JSK.  

But why spend excessive SMS on a player that might not play, when you have other options that will.  We didn't sign Westerman coming off a pec injury, but signed Jefferson, who doesn't miss games or practices.  Having a healthy roster and a small 1 game IR means your SMS is on the field... limiting exposure to injury is a huge SMS factor...

I could find similar tweets about virtually any 4th year player in this league. If you can find me a veteran CFLer that has never missed a game or two or been held out of practice then I salute you. He started 50 out of a possible 54 games over 3 years here. I commend you for your search, but it completely lacks any validity at all.

He missed the last two regular season games last year.  Not a good trend in a contract year.  He had an all star season every year he played.  No doubting his talent.  

But Loffler missed more practices than probably any other Bomber, I don't know about the rest of the league, but I'd guess he was a top practice misser leaguewide.  Sure, players will occasionally take a "vet day", but with Loffler it seemed to be the rule, not the exception...  the "search" was "loffler practice" on twitter...  

Risk / reward.  I loved his play, and grateful for his service.  But I'm darn glad we didn't match Reed's offer.  Regardless of what has transpired, I said at the time that Reed made a mistake.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #298 on: June 28, 2019, 04:22:09 PM »

Bottom line is whether we are talking about Chungh, JSK, or Loffler the facts are that they are all very good football players that we moved on from because we couldn't afford them any more. There was no consideration of them being injury risks, or anything else. Bottom line we needed the SMS room for other priorities.
It's not that we couldn't afford them. It's that we chose not to pay them what other teams were willing to.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #299 on: June 28, 2019, 05:26:05 PM »

Do we think Aards is actually Nasty Nate after Nate got his lobotomy?  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: