Blue Bombers Forum
October 26, 2021, 08:03:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Team Cuts and Transactions.  (Read 175888 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »

It is a balancing act, and you have to guess who is going to give you the best cost/performance value. 

You draft/recruit and develop to be able to make decisions like Wilson/JSK and Chungh/Gray.  If we don't have Wilson, we pay JSK.  If we don't have Gray, we suck on oline, because Chungh was going home because BC was willing to pay whatever it took to get him there (Walters did good in getting Hervey to overpay Wink ) .

Thew fact that JSK is still struggling with injury after missing the end of last season is also a contributing factor.  You don't know how long and how well recovery is going to be, but if you suspected it wouldn't be 100% or completed by TC, that factors in too...

Were Walters choices no brainers?  Obviously not, because people disagree with them.  But so far, they seem solid...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
bunker

« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »

I think Walters let Chungh go at the right time, similar to what Calgary does when their good players price themselves out of the market, and there are younger and cheaper alternatives that have been developed to replace them.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2019, 06:05:10 AM »

Yeah the pricetag for Chungh makes no sense in a cap world...if he was a lockdown Left Tackle..well then yeah pay it

Wilson tho, he is more athletic than JSK...AND WAYYY faster as we seen in running down Burnham, also the Bomber Brass most likely knew all about JSK recovery and that he wouldn't be ready for start of season, so since had in house replacement in Wilson whom they were high on before JSK, probably didnt see value of putting more money into a guy that wouldn't be ready, as he probably wouldnt have been 6 gamed, hence no money savings

JSK also could have been attitude.  It's always been clear in JSK's interviews that he's playing CFL in order to get recognized to get into the NFL.  And he just might be good enough to get there.  Why overpay and continue to develop a guy who may leave for the NFL next year?

(Wilson running down Burnham was a) the bomb, and b) an eye opener: wow!)

I think Walters let Chungh go at the right time, similar to what Calgary does when their good players price themselves out of the market, and there are younger and cheaper alternatives that have been developed to replace them.

Exactly.  We complain at our losses, but nearly every other team (except maybe HAM) lost waaay more good players than we did.  If CGY (and Buono for 20 years) can win letting select top-earners go, why can't we?

Never go full Rider!
kkc60

« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2019, 06:20:24 AM »

JSK also could have been attitude.  It's always been clear in JSK's interviews that he's playing CFL in order to get recognized to get into the NFL.  And he just might be good enough to get there.  Why overpay and continue to develop a guy who may leave for the NFL next year?

(Wilson running down Burnham was a) the bomb, and b) an eye opener: wow!)

And we have reached the point of reaches. JSK also could've been attitude. C'mon man. There was never anything reported about his attitude. Don't speculate.

And what? With the logic that you shouldn't develop or retain good young players cuz they might go to the NFL...what? It's about winning. No smart team would ever not retain a guy cuz he might leave in a year. Not if they wanna win.

At the end of the day Walter's didn't wanna spend what JSK was asking. Why can't you leave it at that?
kkc60

« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2019, 06:26:17 AM »

Exactly.  We complain at our losses, but nearly every other team (except maybe HAM) lost waaay more good players than we did.  If CGY (and Buono for 20 years) can win letting select top-earners go, why can't we?

No one reasonable says we can't. But whenever teams lose big time players there are question marks. And that's okay.

Why can't we win though? We are one game into the season. When or if we are eliminated then that can be answered
TecnoGenius

« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2019, 06:29:01 AM »

And we have reached the point of reaches. JSK also could've been attitude. C'mon man. There was never anything reported about his attitude. Don't speculate.

And what? With the logic that you shouldn't develop or retain good young players cuz they might go to the NFL...what? It's about winning. No smart team would ever not retain a guy cuz he might leave in a year. Not if they wanna win.

At the end of the day Walter's didn't wanna spend what JSK was asking. Why can't you leave it at that?

I'm clutching at straws offering alternative explanations than just "KW dumb", "KW cheap".  By attitude I only meant "NFL-focused", not that he was a bad influence or anything.  Seemed like a great kid.

I think much more highly of the Canadian Mafia than to think they purposely let JSK go over a measly $10-20k.  There must be method to their madness.  They know things we don't know.  Maybe Wilson is actually better and cheaper.  Who knows (yet)?  We already know he's faster...

And if being NFL-bound reduces a draftee's appeal, why can't it reduce a FA's appeal?  If you're pretty sure he's going there, why not mark his "keep" score down a couple of notches?

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »

Like any year, we had FA losses and FA gains. I don`t think anyone here is arguing that except Aards who wants to paint our FA losses as some master stroke of brilliance by our GM. It wasn't. There is nothing smart about not re-signing Chungh, JSK, or Loffler. Our team would be better with them on the field. However, KW can`t be blamed for a heated market on the 3 either. It was what it was and KW chose to go in another direction with his SMS. We will see if that turns out in October or god willing November. I just think it`s silly for anyone to look at our losses in personnel as some master stroke of genius by our GM after week 2 of the season. Could it turn out for us...sure it could...but it`s waaaay to early to pass judgement yet.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2019, 01:11:28 PM »

I see a rumor that the Lions are going to sign Dozier after his release in Montreal. They can easily swap our their starting Canadian safety for an import. Seems they didn't have great success finding good DB's in TC.

They also released QB R. Lloyd

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TBURGESS

« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »

It's pretty obvious that the changes aren't over in BC yet. They haven't found the players they need at certain spots and will keep making changes until they think they have. You can't judge a rebuild in week 2.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
theaardvark

« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2019, 02:28:09 PM »

Wilson had more than one thing over JSK this offseason.  He was under contract, he was healthy, and he played well ending the season. 

All things being equal, do they keep JSK or Wilson?  Knowing that there is not enough roster space for both?

I'm thinking the prudent course was the one taken...  and as mentioned earlier in this thread, watching him chase down Burnham from behind opened a lot of peoples eyes, for sure. 

So, KW wasn't dumb or cheap in keeping Wilson... he was prudent.  And it is paying off.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2019, 02:33:31 PM »

CFL
‏Verified account @CFL
2m2 minutes ago

Marquay McDaniel (@_McDaniel16) has joined the @MTLAlouettes coaching staff.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
kkc60

« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2019, 02:46:06 PM »

I'm clutching at straws offering alternative explanations than just "KW dumb", "KW cheap".  By attitude I only meant "NFL-focused", not that he was a bad influence or anything.  Seemed like a great kid.

I think much more highly of the Canadian Mafia than to think they purposely let JSK go over a measly $10-20k.  There must be method to their madness.  They know things we don't know.  Maybe Wilson is actually better and cheaper.  Who knows (yet)?  We already know he's faster...

And if being NFL-bound reduces a draftee's appeal, why can't it reduce a FA's appeal?  If you're pretty sure he's going there, why not mark his "keep" score down a couple of notches?

You're unnecessarily clutching at straws. NFL-focused isnt a bad thing as long as he performs well.

I don't know if the 20k thing is true. But there is a chance it is. Keep in mind the Bombers chased some players like Roosevelt and Walker, the later who would have been a very very expensive signing. They could have tho they would be closer to the cap.

Here's why draftees appeal gets lowered vs FAs (especially Americans): draft picks (and canadians in general) have a super high value. When you're drafting in the first round of the CFL draft, more often than not you want a player who will be on your team in 2 years. As for an American FA, sure maybe some teams will value players differently depending on what they want, but a player you signed as an FA who goes to the NFL after their deal is up is not at all the same as a draft pick who goes to the NFL before ever playing at all for the team that drafted them
kkc60

« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »

Wilson had more than one thing over JSK this offseason.  He was under contract, he was healthy, and he played well ending the season. 

All things being equal, do they keep JSK or Wilson?  Knowing that there is not enough roster space for both?

I'm thinking the prudent course was the one taken...  and as mentioned earlier in this thread, watching him chase down Burnham from behind opened a lot of peoples eyes, for sure. 

So, KW wasn't dumb or cheap in keeping Wilson... he was prudent.  And it is paying off.
They re-signed Wilson before FA. And I'm sure we could have carried both, unless your king KW overpaid for Wilson.

"Its paying off". Aards, we are 2 weeks into the season. We don't know if any move is paying off. Why? Because we're two weeks into the season. If Wilson got killed last game and JSK played the first 2 games and was a stud, would Walter's already have made a huge mistake? No. Because we are 2 weeks into the season
DM83

« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »

Montreal should dress all their coaches.  At least they could play. lol!
Now.... yikes
Blue In BC

« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »

Of course there was room for both since we clearly planned to move away from Wild as a DI. 

SMS questions, injury recovery were different issues. Whether Wilson lives up to being as good or better than JSK we'll see. Several posters are confidant he'll do that.

I'm still waiting for a longer evaluation of his performance. The question of our depth behind him even more so with Temple. I'm trying to understand why he didn't replace Wilson when he got injured. In theory that's what we expect the DI LB to be ready to do.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: