Blue Bombers Forum
September 22, 2021, 11:06:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Team Cuts and Transactions.  (Read 170171 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »

I just noticed on the TSN ticker that Pipkin is out 4-6 weeks with a leg injury and Vernon Adams will start in his place.

Unfortunate for Pipkin. Just got a chance to be the starter in Montreal and he got injured. Now it's Adams that gets the chance to start and hold onto that role. Whether he's able or not we'll see.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2019, 01:34:42 PM »

CFL.CA shows Loffler and Lokombo added to IR yesterday. Checking their roster doesn't show that yet so whether that is 1 game or 6 game IR in not clear.

Argos had multiple injuries and may have players unable to play next game as well: Awe, Kanneh, Washington, Gabriel among the walking wounded.

YIKES.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »

Loffler out and not on the 6 game is costing Reed SMS... at least they got one good game out of him... although it wasn't a win.

Walters made some difficult decisions in the off season, and its looking like there aren't any to regret...  JSK, Chungh, Loffler, Randle, Fogg, Wild, LaFrance... other than Lankford who has been OK on teams but has yet to record an offensive stat... looks like Walters is batting a pretty high percentage on his decisions...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2019, 04:52:05 PM »

Loffler out and not on the 6 game is costing Reed SMS... at least they got one good game out of him... although it wasn't a win.

Walters made some difficult decisions in the off season, and its looking like there aren't any to regret...  JSK, Chungh, Loffler, Randle, Fogg, Wild, LaFrance... other than Lankford who has been OK on teams but has yet to record an offensive stat... looks like Walters is batting a pretty high percentage on his decisions...
Well JSK and Loffler are out with injuries. LaFrance was and is always going to be a backup. Chungh was an overpayment by BC but we still wanted to bring.him back. Just not for the $$.

I'm not sure what youre crediting Walter's with...
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2019, 05:12:00 PM »

One game into the season does not make Walters a genius. Let's see where things stand at the 1/2 point. Too early to plan the parade!
theaardvark

« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2019, 05:16:06 PM »

Well JSK and Loffler are out with injuries. LaFrance was and is always going to be a backup. Chungh was an overpayment by BC but we still wanted to bring.him back. Just not for the $$.

I'm not sure what youre crediting Walter's with...

Chungh isn't proving out to be worth the $$$ so far, and we are doing OK without him, Gray is just fine in his spot.  Bullet dodged.

JSK, Loffler - they got paid more than we were willing to, JSK coming off injury, Loffler waiting for one.  Neither are active today.  Bullets dodged.

Some would say those are no brainer GM moves to let them go... or that we would have signed them if we could (at OUR price, not what they got) but obviously Hervey, Sunderland and Reed chose to pay them, and now have to work around those decisions...

One game into the season does not make Walters a genius. Let's see where things stand at the 1/2 point. Too early to plan the parade!

Yup... one game does not a season make... but it is a quick confirmation of decisions made.  It might change down the road, but I'm not thinking it is too likely to change dramatically from the current situation...

And its more than one game, it has been a few years in the making...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2019, 05:45:10 PM »

Chungh isn't proving out to be worth the $$$ so far, and we are doing OK without him, Gray is just fine in his spot.  Bullet dodged.

JSK, Loffler - they got paid more than we were willing to, JSK coming off injury, Loffler waiting for one.  Neither are active today.  Bullets dodged.

Some would say those are no brainer GM moves to let them go... or that we would have signed them if we could (at OUR price, not what they got) but obviously Hervey, Sunderland and Reed chose to pay them, and now have to work around those decisions...

Yup... one game does not a season make... but it is a quick confirmation of decisions made.  It might change down the road, but I'm not thinking it is too likely to change dramatically from the current situation...

And its more than one game, it has been a few years in the making...

Yea we really dodged a bullet by losing Chungh...geez man..it's hard to give your posts credibility when you say something like that. Chungh is a massive loss. It's great we have Gray and so far he has played well but Chungh is still a huge loss.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2019, 05:50:48 PM »

Yea we really dodged a bullet by losing Chungh...geez man..it's hard to give your posts credibility when you say something like that. Chungh is a massive loss. It's great we have Gray and so far he has played well but Chungh is still a huge loss.

Signing Chungh would have been nice, but not at the price.  Having Gray inhouse already meant we could let Chungh go, and Gray has replaced Chungh nicely, at a lower SMS hit, opening up the ability to sign Matthews (had we sprung for Chungh, there would be no money for Matthews)

Chungh was a loss, but not a huge loss.  Gray is doing just fine, don't you think?  And had we signed Chungh, what happens to Gray?  Or Speller/Neufeld...  it was a calculated decision, a tough one for sure, but seems to have been an optimal one so far...

blue girl

« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »

Signing Chungh would have been nice, but not at the price.  Having Gray inhouse already meant we could let Chungh go, and Gray has replaced Chungh nicely, at a lower SMS hit, opening up the ability to sign Matthews (had we sprung for Chungh, there would be no money for Matthews)

Chungh was a loss, but not a huge loss.  Gray is doing just fine, don't you think?  And had we signed Chungh, what happens to Gray?  Or Speller/Neufeld...  it was a calculated decision, a tough one for sure, but seems to have been an optimal one so far...
It's one game, let's not get carried away. I bet that if he could Walters would love to have Chungh back here. That's why he made him a pretty good offer. Chungh just wanted to play closer to home.
kkc60

« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2019, 08:44:36 PM »

Chungh wont ever be worth 250k. Guards in this league never are. So sure, good on KW for not paying 250000 for a guard (even if he did offer, good chance Chungh still goes home).

JSK got hurt playing for us. I think everyone knew his injury situation when he signed. Good for Walter's for not spending money on a position he never spends much on? And for not re-signing a good player who has been hurt for a whole 2 games?

As for Loffler, wasn't worth the money. But most teams agreed with that.

I'd chill with the "KW looks good cuz x player is injured". Injuries aren't in anyone's control. And guys like JSK got hurt playing for us. Its one thing to prematurely say we are doing fine with certain players. It's another to make it sound like the players are now problems.
theaardvark

« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2019, 09:13:37 PM »

Chungh wont ever be worth 250k. Guards in this league never are. So sure, good on KW for not paying 250000 for a guard (even if he did offer, good chance Chungh still goes home).

JSK got hurt playing for us. I think everyone knew his injury situation when he signed. Good for Walter's for not spending money on a position he never spends much on? And for not re-signing a good player who has been hurt for a whole 2 games?

I'd chill with the "KW looks good cuz x player is injured". Injuries aren't in anyone's control. And guys like JSK got hurt playing for us. Its one thing to prematurely say we are doing fine with certain players. It's another to make it sound like the players are now problems.
100% on Chungh. 

JSK got hurt playing for us... yes... and someone else is paying him to rehab, without knowing how effective he is going to be after that is complete.  Would you rather we be paying him?  KW did not...

Loffler was rested all the time to reduce the chance of injury... and Reed paid him big bucks, and now he is injured.  KW knew the risk, and is not paying Loffler to not play, Reed is.

It is all about making a bet, deciding how much to pay, and weighing that against what chances there are of being injured (or rehabbing).  KW seems to err on the side of caution, and it seems to be working out so far...

dd

« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2019, 03:11:29 AM »

Agree 100% on the injury comment. Walters has no idea who was going to get hurt and just because players are hurt now doesn?t mean they don?t come back and produce at a very high level for their team.

Also, remember Matthews is hurt right?? Does that make Walters an idiot for signing him?? Of course not....

Also, remember Walters signed Adarius bowman and darian durant to ridiculous contracts that didn?t work out for us and it wasn?t due to injury, one sucked terribly and the other fleeced us for $70 grand and never even went to training camp, that doesn?t say much for the GM that signed them!!!! So chill on your backslapping and pompom waving!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:14:42 AM by dd » Logged
Pigskin

« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2019, 03:50:14 AM »

I agree DD. How many people were crying when JSK signed with EE. Walters made a mistake, he should paid him the money. Now Walters is a god because he didn't sign JSK.

Also there was very few people thinking Gray could replace Chungh. I am a big supporter of GG, and to this point, one game into the year he has played well. However I don't put him in the same category as Chungh just yet. With an OL, it has a lot to do with who is standing next to you. If there doing there job it's makes makes your much easier. 

Is Chungh worth $250? No.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2019, 06:11:44 AM »

Aards' sentiment is right.  I look at it more like this: did the player leave WPG and instantly light it up in the new city?  That would be a "bad loss".  So far none of our departed-FAs have lit it up anywhere.  Sure, that could change, but so far letting our FAs go seems like a good call, and certainly not something we should panic over anymore.

The opposite would be the AH33 BC scenario... BC let him go in FA, and Harris instantly starts lighting it up all year in WPG.  Now that would be a "bad FA loss", and that should cause much gnashing of teeth for BC.

As for Gray/Chungh, keep in mind almost everyone here thought Gray would be benched until labor day in order to be eased into the position.  But injuries dictated Gray was thrown into the fire.  And he's certainly proved able to cope.  Is Gray > Chungh?  Probably not.  But is he in the ballpark?  Certainly.  Is he half the price, you bet!  Winning all-round.

And the flipside of the FA losses, is what did we gain in FA?  If we lost zero "light it up" players, and we gained even one, we are sitting pretty.  I think we'll have a couple/few FAs prove to be "light it up" players in short order.  As an aside, JSK has the best chance of becoming a great success post-WPG, and I could see his loss stinging a bit down the road.

Never go full Rider!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »

It's too early to judge what team we have now.  I still think we are a bit too weak on the receivers side though. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: