Valour FC- Official thread

Started by bomber4life85, April 21, 2019, 05:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Watched the Valour game on One Soccer last night (they offer a free month). Surprised by the quality of the broadcast. The stream was great, there was a half-time show, the announcers were pretty good and there were multiple camera angles and replays. The game was less good though. Not very organized and very sloppy for large chunks. I guess that's to be expected with a new league and the caliber of players. Still, glad I watched it. Valour lost 1-0 on a direct free kick at around the 85 minute. 

bomber4life85

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 09, 2019, 01:27:55 PM
Watched the Valour game on One Soccer last night (they offer a free month). Surprised by the quality of the broadcast. The stream was great, there was a half-time show, the announcers were pretty good and there were multiple camera angles and replays. The game was less good though. Not very organized and very sloppy for large chunks. I guess that's to be expected with a new league and the caliber of players. Still, glad I watched it. Valour lost 1-0 on a direct free kick at around the 85 minute. 

Yeah I didnt get to watch it because I was at Stars On Ice at the arena last night but I will agree with the stream, its much better than I thought it would be and their post and pre game shows are very good quality content. For a new league and start up they are definitely on the right track

bomber4life85

Cavalry FC 1
Valour FC 0 - FT

It wasn?t pretty, by any means, but it was ultimately effective for Cavalry FC, as Tommy Wheeldon Jr.?s side picked up their second consecutive victory at Spruce Meadows by way of a 1-0 result against Valour FC, with Jose Escalante scoring the only goal of the game in the 86th minute of play to give the Cavs? all three points.

The Honduran winger-turned-forward struck a delicious free kick late in the matc, the first free-kick goal scored in Canadian Premier League history to earn the result for his team in a match that was otherwise dictated by the physical nature of play.

If there were any indications that this match would take on a free-flowing and spacious look, they were quickly dispelled as the two teams swapped fouls throughout 90 minutes,13 in the first half alone, 30 in total.

Valour nearly opened the scoring in the 17th minute, Ali Musse testing goalkeeper Marco Carducci with a strong drive between the two Cavalry centre-backs before shooting on goal, but Carducci made a clean save to preserve the deadlock.

Rather than opening up the play for more efforts of the sort, the rest of the first half was riddled with rough tackles and a first yellow card, to Valour defender Jordan Murrell.

Escalante nearly gave the Cavs a lead in the 47th minute, getting on the end of a quick ball but hitting his shot against the side-netting in agonizing fashion. Valour's Martin Argui-arena responded, in kind, with a hard drive toward Carducci, who dove low to make the reflex save.

But Escalante would not miss his second effort, hitting a left-footed free kick through the Valour wall and past Tyson Farago to give his team a second win out of two to start the 2019 CPL campaign.

Next up:Valour returns to Investors Group Field on May 11 to take on HFX Wanderers FC (3:30 p.m. ET, 2:30 p.m. CT, available on OneSoccer). Meanwhile, Cavalry FC travels to Hamilton to take on Forge FC on May 12 at Tim Hortons Field (1 p.m. ET, on OneSoccer).

Three key performers
Ali Musse (Valour FC)

Ali-The Moose, was all over the forward line for Valour, crafting five shots, three on target, as he attempted to break down the Cavs backline. He was an ever-present threat up top, offering equal measures of pace and purpose in his attacking runs, and was unfortunate not to find the back of the net to cap off that individual effort.

Elijah Adekugbe (Cavalry FC)

Elijah Adekugbe led the pack in passing metrics with an astounding 94% pass accuracy, while also recording seven interceptions in midfield. Executing on those metrics all but shut down Valour's midfield presence at times, and while he'll rue a late yellow card, which may have marred his defensive contributions, he also drew the game-winning free kick.

Marco Carducci (Cavalry FC)

Confident with his feet, and even more confident with his gloves, Marco Carducci made short work of just about every single shot directed his way, looking unshaken despite Valour's free kick attempt, corners, and snaps from distance. His opposite, Farago, enjoyed a similar night up until the 86th minute, but Carducci left the match with a clean sheet to his name.

blue_or_die

Sucks about the loss. Good to know Soccer One offers a free month. I was considering subscribing to the season since it's not expensive and supports the league, but I will definitely check out the free month at least. Kind of a lull in sports right now with the Jets out early and over a month away for Bombers.
#Ride?

bomber4life85

Canadian Premier League Match #9
Valour FC vs. HFX Wanderers FC
May 11, 2019  Investors Group Field (3:30 p.m. ET, 2:30 p.m. CT)  TICKETS https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/valour-fc-vs-hfx-wanderers-fc/event/1100566571161BD5
Watch Live: OneSoccer.ca

Saturday's lone Canadian Premier League match sees HFX Wanderers head west once again, this time to take on Valour FC at Investors Group Field in Winnipeg.

The Wanderers are 1-1-0 on the Spring season following a 1-0 loss to Pacific FC on opening weekend and an inaugural home-opening win over Forge FC. Stephen Hart?s side will look to build on the momentum of that win, which saw striker Luis Alberta Perea return from injury to score the late winner at Wanderers Grounds, despite operating at60 to 70 percent.

HFX is on seven-days rest from that 2-1 win, while Valour comes into Saturday?s tilt following 1-0 loss to Cavalry FC at Spruce Meadows on Wednesday. A late free kick from Jose Escalante gave the Cavs that slim victory. Still, head coach Rob Gale was impressed with the defensive performance of his side, which limited the Cavs to just three shots on target, all of which came from outside the box. With three points from three matches, Gale will be looking to turn his side around as the hunt for the 10-game Spring sprint?s CPL Championship berth continues.

This is the final match before the first round of the Canadian Championship, which will send the Wanderers to play League1 Ontario's Vaughan Azzurri at Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan, Ont. (7:30 p.m. ET/OneSoccer). Valour, which has a bye in  also has a mid-week CONCACAF League qualifying tilt to look forward to when they head home to host Forge FC at Investors Group Field (8 p.m. ET, 7 p.m. CT/OneSoccer).

KEYS TO THE MATCH

Valour's tired legs: Saturday's tilt is the fourth of five matches in a two week-and-a-week span for Valour, two of which have come on the road (away to Pacific & Cavalry). If tired legs catch up to Gale?s side, they could be in deep trouble against speedy HFX wide players like Akeem Garcia and 'Zoom' Langwa.
Murrell vs. Perea: Watch for Valour captain Jordan Murrell to stick on HFX striker Luis Alberto Perea throughout the match in an effort to neutralize Stephen Hart's crafty, hard-to-handle No. 9. Conversely, if Perea trumps Murrell or Skylar Thomas enough times, HFX could have the edge in what is shaping up to be a tightly-contested affair.
Catch-em on the break: Look for the Wanderers to sit back. They controlled the ball a mere 41% of the time at home against Forge. Away to Pacific, 45%. Valour, being at home, will likely hold possession for long stretches of play just as they did against FC Edmonton. Hart will need to be well-organized in order to get a result.PROJECTED LINEUPS

Valour FC: Tyson Farago; Jordan Murrell, Skylar Thomas, Mart?n Argui?arena; Nicol?s Galvis, Louis B?land-Goyette, Marco Bustos, Diego Guti?rrez; Stephen Hoyle, Michael Petrasso, Ali Musse

HFX Wanderers: Jan-Michael Williams; Ndzemdzela Langwa, Chrisnovic N'Sa, Peter Schaale, Andre Bona, Akeem Garcia, Elton John, Juan Diego Guiterrez, Kouam? Ouattara, Mohamed Kourouma; Luis Alberto Perea

HEAD-TO-HEAD

First meeting between these clubs

STATS LEADERS

Luis Alberto Perea, Akeem Garcia 1 goal
Michael Petrasso, Stephen Hoyle, Dylan Carreiro  1 goal

INJURIES

None

INTERNATIONAL DUTY

None

SUSPENSIONS

None

ACCUMULATION

None

REFEREES

Referee: David Barrie
Assistant Referees: Philippe Bettez-Quessy & Sabrina Ferraz
4th Official: Marko Kalic

bomber4life85

VALOUR FC 1

HFX Wanderers 0- FT

Here is the full recap.. its was a decent game. Valour really held some possession. HFX I feel had a handful of real good chances saved by the Valour goalie. I am still waiting for teams to break out and show who they really are and am waiting for stars to emerge. Right now it all seems very close..alot of neutral play. Pretty decent crowd (5,800 and change) but with such a huge stadium it sucks energy out of the game with 28,000 empty seats around you. If Valour could even get an average of 10-15k per game it would be a very pro feel. 

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/match-recap-valour-1-wanderers-0

Leroy

I am not a soccer fan but plan to attend.

I really do hope this team can have big crowds and be successful.

Stretch

Quote from: Leroy on May 12, 2019, 08:35:16 PM
I really do hope this team can have big crowds and be successful.

That's my hope as well. So far their home games have been on Saturday afternoons, but the next two are Thursday evenings. Granted they don't last as long as (the other kind of) football games, but it'll be interesting to see if there's any of the same complaints over having them scheduled on a work night.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Stretch on May 13, 2019, 01:58:58 PM
That's my hope as well. So far their home games have been on Saturday afternoons, but the next two are Thursday evenings. Granted they don't last as long as (the other kind of) football games, but it'll be interesting to see if there's any of the same complaints over having them scheduled on a work night.

I'm going on Thursday and I'm interested to see if the atmosphere is different.

bomber4life85

Next Valour FC game after a nice long rest is Saturday June 1 in Edmonton. Hopefully they can rebound with a win before going into the Canadian Championship game in Halifax on Wednesday as well before they comeback for the 2nd game of that championship in Winnipeg on June 12.. tickets here

https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/canadian-championship-match/event/11005665711C1BD9

bomber4life85

current standings after 2 games in second half of the year. Valour opened up with a draw in Edmonton then a loss in Hamilton 3-1 at the hands of Forge

https://canpl.ca/standings/

Tomorrow is a big day for the CPL as the embark on the 2nd leg of the Canadian Championships. CPL teams had supreme outings in the first leg of the championship vs 2 MLS teams, Vancouver and Montreal. York 9 battled furiously vs Montreal Impact and had the game in the bag and won with minutes remaining in a crazy second half. York 9 goaltender made a crucial controversial mistake and gave Impact a PK in injury time letting the Impact tie the game 2-2. The other teams playing were Cavalry and Vancouver Whitecaps. Cavalry had tremendous D in the game and incredible patience. Vancouver had little to no great chances to score in the entire first half. In the second half the teams were very even and towards the end of the game the Calgary based CPL team had enormous chances to steal a goal and win the game but Vancouver held its ground and both teams drew scoreless. The third game saw Ottawa Fury of the USL play Halifax Wanderers of the CPL. Ottawa topped Halifax 3-1 in leg 1. All series are won and lost by goal differential and away goals being the tie breaker.
Im VERY intrigued to see how the CPL teams fair out in this one for the away games.

bomber4life85

Im not entirely sure what the CPL has planned for this year with Covid etc. There is not a ton of info. Our Valour FC head coach does however have a great feeling about this year and is waiting for the greenlight to go ahead full speed.  He feels really good about this group and the chemistry and can really see a huge improvement already. Hopefully that will translate on the field

Valour had excellent success in ticket sales for their first season . A season high first game crowd of 9,699. A low of 3,400 and an average around 6,000. I think they have lots of room to grow especially if they put a winning team on the field.

Here is Coach Gayle's thoughts from an article on July 24, 2020
https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/its-going-to-be-a-good-year-i-have-a-good-feeling-about-it

bomber4life85

MARK IT DOWN!! "The Island Games"  (can also mark down the new CPL league figured it out faster than a 100plus year old established league  ::))

August 13th the CPL is back! First match will be 2019 CPL Champions Forge FC (Hamilton) vs runner up Calvary FC (Calgary)

Charlottetown, PEI will be the host city for all matches being played at the Univesrity of Prince Edward Island Alumni Field. The venue played host to Canada Summer Games soccer previously and has a FIFA certified turf that was resurfaced in 2016. Players of all teams area already self isolating, and have been tested once. They will also under go another 2 tests in 5 days prior being given the green light to play once they are in PEI.

The tournament will feature 3 rounds. First round is every team plays each other once. Top 4 move to round to and play each other once again.Top 2 will play for the Championship and also the right to play in the 2021 Concacaf League

All games will be on OneSoccer so you can go subscribe and see all the matches live. The full schedule is yet to be released

Leroy Brown

Not a good start. Zero shots on target.

Should get Liegghio out there and that's almost as hard to spell as Hajrullahu.

First year Ottawa team up next. Hopefully they get it over mid field. Wade should fire the coach and take over himself.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Leroy Brown on August 18, 2020, 12:20:55 AM
Not a good start. Zero shots on target.

Should get Liegghio out there and that's almost as hard to spell as Hajrullahu.

First year Ottawa team up next. Hopefully they get it over mid field. Wade should fire the coach and take over himself.

Wade who?
#Ride?