Open
9 (42.9%)
Leave as is
7 (33.3%)
Develop over/under passes
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

GOLDMEMBER

Hate this topic. Who cares life to short to squabble about this crap.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Norlorne Dr.

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 20, 2018, 06:17:06 PM
Hate this topic. Who cares life to short to squabble about this crap.

Like it or not, it is a hot topic in Winnipeg right now.  It is an issue when it comes to the mayoral race as well.

theaardvark

Quote from: Norlorne Dr. on October 20, 2018, 06:04:23 PM
I really like these 2.  The idea of something similar to this in Winnipeg is very intriguing. 

Add in a retractable roof, or a partial or complete cover, and it would be amazing.  You could even incorporate a laser pyramid... ;)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on October 20, 2018, 06:53:01 PM
Add in a retractable roof, or a partial or complete cover, and it would be amazing.  You could even incorporate a laser pyramid... ;)

So clearly the issue has nothing to do with the price tag for aardvark, lol.

Here's a proposal: we open it and give it 12 months to see how horribly it affects traffic and safety. If it's actually that bad, we spend however much it takes to build your roofed laser elevator/escalator bridge? Either way, you don't have to go in the weird underground thingy.
#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 20, 2018, 08:29:26 PM
So clearly the issue has nothing to do with the price tag for aardvark, lol.

Here's a proposal: we open it and give it 12 months to see how horribly it affects traffic and safety. If it's actually that bad, we spend however much it takes to build your roofed laser elevator/escalator bridge? Either way, you don't have to go in the weird underground thingy.

If they do the transit corridor mentioned in the article you linked to, there's likely a net reduction in traffic times by getting the buses off of main.

Honestly, keeping it closed has no relevant arguments anymore. I've decided. Open Portage and Main!
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2018, 08:37:22 PM
If they do the transit corridor mentioned in the article you linked to, there's likely a net reduction in traffic times by getting the buses off of main.

Honestly, keeping it closed has no relevant arguments anymore. I've decided. Open Portage and Main!

So, putting pedestrians in the path of traffic isn't an issue?  Making a person in a wheelchair cross 6 lanes of traffic in a 45 second light change through slush/snow isn't a relevant argument?   It is going to cost millions to open the intersection and add in safety precautions that are guaranteed not to be 100% effective and will result in injuries and deaths.  So a few businesses can line their pockets?

Opening the intersection isn't a tourist attraction, the structures pictured are tourist attractions.  Those will bring people downtown from the Forks.  They will get people utilizing the crossings, with 100% safety from traffic.  And, if covered, will provide 24/7 365 access.  Opening street level will still mean that pedestrians will be subjected to weather restrictions, and ask anyone downtown about snow clearing.   

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Norlorne Dr.

As far as I am concerned, cross-walks are not even an option.  Either there is some sort of bridge above ground and people walk over traffic, or we open nothing.  Pedestrians can not be crossing Portage and Main on the same streets as vehicles. 

The Zipp

Regent and lagimodiere has pedestrians crossing...so do many other busy multi-lane roadways including other downtown intersections.  It can work without people being killed. 

I am team open and I have spent years working right at the corner of P & M.  There is no reason not to have grade crossing AND an improved underground option.  The way it is now is dangerous and not great for those with physical limitations. 

Time to invest in this corner and realize that cars and people can both safely use this crossing.  Should have been done already. 

blue_or_die

If only there was an example of an intersection somewhere in the world where pedestrians were allowed to cross...

No, safety is not a relevant argument because it will be no more dangerous to cross this intersection as any other busy intersection. I don't get this logic whatsoever.
#Ride?

New_Earth_Mud

Leave it be.... fix The **** that needs fixing.  They have ripped up ness and route 90 the same place 2 years in a row...   whats up with that?
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

blue_or_die

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on October 21, 2018, 01:16:44 AM
Leave it be.... fix The **** that needs fixing.  They have ripped up ness and route 90 the same place 2 years in a row...   whats up with that?

No matter what, they won?t ?let it be?. They will spend milllions fixing the barricades if they ?leave it be?. This isn?t a case of spending money vs not spending money.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Norlorne Dr. on October 20, 2018, 10:40:37 PM
As far as I am concerned, cross-walks are not even an option.  Either there is some sort of bridge above ground and people walk over traffic, or we open nothing.  Pedestrians can not be crossing Portage and Main on the same streets as vehicles. 

And yet, this very thing happens the world over in the smallest towns and largest cities.

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on October 21, 2018, 01:16:44 AM
Leave it be.... fix The **** that needs fixing.  They have ripped up ness and route 90 the same place 2 years in a row...   whats up with that?

Leave it be...? I take it you're not aware P&M is a crumbling disaster and needs to be repaired regardless of the open vs. close debate.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 21, 2018, 08:41:00 PM
And yet, this very thing happens the world over in the smallest towns and largest cities.

Leave it be...? I take it you're not aware P&M is a crumbling disaster and needs to be repaired regardless of the open vs. close debate.

So is half of the stuff thats built.   Ness and Route 90 has been dug up and rebuilt 3 years in a row.  Why is that?   If they cant build that correct once its mind boggleing how long and screwed up P n M would get.

I work right off where this new transit thing is going....   holy hell is a complete crap show.

They way this building goes on in this City...   tearing up or trying to fix P n M would be a disaster.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

Colton

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on October 22, 2018, 12:36:02 AM
They way this building goes on in this City...   tearing up or trying to fix P n M would be a disaster.

It has to be done no matter which way you vote, which is why it'll probably be left open regardless of the vote. Voting to keep P&M closed is voting to spend additional money on more construction to put up new barricades.

bluengold204

Quote from: theaardvark on October 20, 2018, 08:56:50 PM
So, putting pedestrians in the path of traffic isn't an issue?

So pedestrians shouldn't cross any street then?

Making a person in a wheelchair cross 6 lanes of traffic in a 45 second light change through slush/snow isn't a relevant argument? 

Well currently it takes someone in a wheel chair 10 mins to go through the concourse that involves a series of elevators and ramps just to cross the intersection, that is assuming all the private buildings are open, some are closed after work hours.  If the buildings are closed then they cant even cross the intersection and have to navigate around.

It is going to cost millions to open the intersection and add in safety precautions that are guaranteed not to be 100% effective and will result in injuries and deaths.  So a few businesses can line their pockets?

It's likely going to cost millions to repair the barricades anyway.

Opening street level will still mean that pedestrians will be subjected to weather restrictions, and ask anyone downtown about snow clearing.  

I work downtown and honestly do not think the snow clearing is bad.