9 (42.9%)
Leave as is
7 (33.3%)
Develop over/under passes
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on November 27, 2018, 06:40:16 PM
So, nothing has changed since it was closed?  Same traffic, same transit, same population density.  I get it.  

Unfortunately, a lot has changed.  And really, the opportunity to go forwards rather than back is right there for the taking.  

Opening it removes incentives for improving the underground, and will harm businesses down there to the point where it will eventually crumble under its lack of use during good weather.  So, when the bad weather hits, and using the surface crossing is difficult or impossible for the handicapable, or even normal pedestrians, where will they go?  

Making the underground better, more reliable and modern means ensuring a 24/7/365 solution.  It might be slightly less convenient during good weather, but it will be safe and year round access, rain/snow/blizzards will not affect it.  

More nonsensical conjecture and mental gymnastics.

Quote from: Horseman on November 27, 2018, 06:34:17 PM
No Data...we lived it in the 70's. We have something better than data and that is first hand knowledge of what the intersection will be like by allowing pedestrian traffic again!

Yeah, that's not proof of anything.

Quote from: Horseman on November 27, 2018, 08:23:38 PM
No because experiencing it is nothing like data...give your head a shake and listen to the rattle.

Says the guy using anecdotal evidence to argue his point. :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on November 27, 2018, 08:51:06 PM
Lol... perfect logic.  Let's ban people from the city.  Its not cars that kill people in traffic accidents, its the people behind the wheel.

Continued safety is not the issue, but it is a byproduct of increasing and ensuring access to using the intersection for people, vehicles and transit. 

Just picture it, an accident happens at P&M when a person enters the intersection early or late and gets struck by accident by a vehicle.  Or a vehicle hits a pedestrian who is legally in the intersection because the drive is distracted. 

What is the immediate aftermath of the incident.  Can you imagine the traffic snarl?  Both to pedestrians, commuters and transit users?  It just boggles the mind...  risking all this so that a few people can cross the street in good weather rather than navigating the underground like they have done for decades...

I don't have to picture it like it's some kind of hypothetical situation, it happens daily at intersections in this city and all others. The end result is the same as it is anywhere else.

You do realize people are actually hit by vehicles in real life, right? This isn't something that only would happen at Portage and Main.

theaardvark

Quote from: Colton on November 27, 2018, 08:56:23 PM
I don't have to picture it like it's some kind of hypothetical situation, it happens daily at intersections in this city and all others. The end result is the same as it is anywhere else.

You do realize people are actually hit by vehicles in real life, right? This isn't something that only would happen at Portage and Main.

How many people have been hit at Portage and Main in the last 20 years?  I'm thinking that it is less than what will happen if it is opened up...

If we want to advocate for pedestrian freedom, why have crossings at all?  Let them cross higaldy pigaldy wherever they want.  If they get hit by a car, so be it.  Its a small price to pay for the freedom to cross wherever you want.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on November 27, 2018, 09:07:29 PM
How many people have been hit at Portage and Main in the last 20 years?  I'm thinking that it is less than what will happen if it is opened up...

If we want to advocate for pedestrian freedom, why have crossings at all?  Let them cross higaldy pigaldy wherever they want.  If they get hit by a car, so be it.  Its a small price to pay for the freedom to cross wherever you want.

Hahaha -- Aardavarkian logic never ceases to amaze me. Legitimate laughter on this one.

Colton

It's more than what would happen if vehicles were banned from the intersection.

Colton

Yeah that already happens on a daily basis, it's called jaywalking and I'm not aware of it being the massive issue you seem to think it is.

Horseman

Quote from: Colton on November 27, 2018, 08:42:31 PM
If you care at all about safety like you claim to, why are you not advocating for the removal of all vehicles from our roads? The lethal part of all of this is the vehicles, not the pedestrians. Vehicles cause countless deaths each year and it isn't limited to a single intersection.

Really...that is your input. Very realistic/practical.

Horseman

Who has the last laugh...the majority of Winnipegers voted "NO" to opening the intersection to pedestrians, we win, end of story. See you when a new mayor is voted in maybe he will give your silly idea some merit. Till then live with it and use the underground walkway to cross and quit whining.

Colton

Quote from: Horseman on November 27, 2018, 11:23:35 PM
Who has the last laugh...the majority of Winnipegers voted "NO" to opening the intersection to pedestrians, we win, end of story. See you when a new mayor is voted in maybe he will give your silly idea some merit. Till then live with it and use the underground walkway to cross and quit whining.

Says the guy who wouldn't stop crying about legal weed.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Horseman on November 27, 2018, 11:23:35 PM

What a trash comment. You do realize a plebiscite isn't legally binding, right...? And you apparently forgot his platform in 2014 ran on opening the intersection. He doesn't have to honour the results of an essentially meaningless referendum, anyway.

And the fact is this: millions need to be spent on repairing the intersection, both at ground level and below in the concourse. That means likely closing lanes at P&M in the future to accommodate those repairs.

But enjoy your "victory"... LOL :D

Quote from: Colton on November 28, 2018, 12:21:07 AM
Says the guy who wouldn't stop crying about legal weed.

Comical. :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Horseman

P&M closed for pedestrians, end of story, keep whining about it. :-)

Jesse

Quote from: Horseman on November 28, 2018, 01:52:16 AM
P&M closed for pedestrians, end of story, keep whining about it. :-)

We'll see. I very much doubt this is the last we hear of it.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: Horseman on November 27, 2018, 08:23:38 PM
No because experiencing it is nothing like data...give your head a shake and listen to the rattle.

:D :D :D

Good one!

Cuck-ah!

#Ride?