E bikes for getting around

Started by dd, July 31, 2018, 12:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

I know there's a thread on taking the bike to work, but just wondering how many people are using ebikes for this and which make/model you are using?? I don't have a shower at work, so get tired of splashing water to get rid of the sweat and am thinking of getting one of these rigs...just don't know if I should buy a converstion kit and put it on my mountain bike or buy one from one of the Canadian bike companies ie Trek, Surface 604, Sparks etc or is there another bike company I should be checking out.

thanks to all for your help with this

Old Rusty

Conversion would be a fun project.   I haven't researched this.  All I can tell you is the dedicated ebikes are super pricey, so its a nonstarter for me.
As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

dd

Went and checked out ebikes and ya, they are expensive--$2500 + taxes

Just picked up a 1 year old Cannondale full carbon road bike for 1/3 of the price and don't regret it at all, this bike is effortless to propel and literally flies!!

Old Rusty

dd,

Wow, you have a beauty with that Cannondale.  Good job, good price.  Great bikes.

New project for me:  I converted my Dad's old Canadian Tire mountain bike to a fixie, stripped all the old junk off of it and trued the wheels.   The frame is a basic welded steel job but the hubs and crank (surprisingly) are excellent quality.   I jacked up the seat 10" with a new post (Dad was only 5' 10").   Now this thing flies!!   

I'm going to apply a proper "city warrior" motif paint job to it to complete the conversion.   The beauty is the SuperCycle pedigree.  I can lock it up and chances of it getting ripped off are minimal.  I will leave the prominent Canadian Tire frame stickers prominently displayed. 

As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.

theaardvark

Question:  range and charging stations...  they obviously just plug in, they aren't a Tesla, but is it easy to find a spot, and how long to recharge?  Anti theft, do you worry about security?  How far on a charge?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.