2.2 million dollar street party

Started by NorthernSkunk, June 04, 2018, 10:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on June 05, 2018, 03:20:58 PM
I still think it would be proper PR for the team to cover the cities expenses... they still come out with a tidy profit, and they still profit from tax breaks.  Give back a little of the money they took in from Winnipeggers on licensed merch and overpriced beers....

If they had full control over the event I might agree with you, but they were not the only party involved with the planning/spending for the event.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 05, 2018, 04:11:19 PM
aardvark, are you sure TNSE made a profit on the street party?

They certainly made money off of beer and merch at the street party (not food though because that was all food trucks who probably paid the city for a permit to set up), but are you sure this was in excess of the money they paid to the street party?
Nope, they lost about a half million. 

Pigskin

For 25,000 people it was a great party. However the other 680,000 people that live in Winnipeg will have to help pay for it. Whether you like it or not.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: TrueBlue75 on June 05, 2018, 04:49:38 PM
No kidding! And some media are totally playing it up too.  ::) The attention that the city of Wpg got from the whiteouts will payoff in future tourism and business opportunities. How do you put a dollar amount on that?

Aardvark, the Jets took a $600,000 loss on the whiteout parties. They made $500,000 off of concessions and beverages so they did not recoup their total payment of 1.1 million. No "tidy profit" as you called it.

Want to explain how we?re going to make money back on future tourism and business opportunities from this? Because I don?t see that happening.

This was an expense for the Jets fans to feel excited and happy. The only thing we gained was the experience of having it. And that?s fine. It was an exciting time. I certainly don?t expect the city to put it up every year (assuming the Jets stay competitive), because we?re not getting that money back. And it sounds like well be losing services moving forward as the police and transit have to pay for the costs from their own budgets.
My wife is amazing!

RebusRankin

Why not have TNE pay for it all? They made millions off this playoff run. 9 sold out home games at 3 million per on ticket sales (sellout times an average ticket price of $200) is 27 million and that's before concessions and all the extra merch. TNE has gotten a lot of breaks from all levels of government despite turning a profit each year and being owned by the wealthiest man in Canada.

Pigskin

They should have charged to get in. No loss to anybody. Lot's of business owners in the area made a killing.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Colton

Quote from: Pigskin on June 17, 2018, 03:28:26 PM
For 25,000 people it was a great party. However the other 680,000 people that live in Winnipeg will have to help pay for it. Whether you like it or not.

The same thing could be said about anything else money is spent on.